Gloves recommendation?

The crash tested 5s:
file-12.jpg

file-11.jpg

I was impressed enough to buy a replacement set. In summer and for around they are my favourite pair. For long rides the carbon palm sections pass a bit too much vibration through to the hand but I can live with that.

And again, Dainese if you can find a pair that fits properly. I currently have 2 Dainese jackets and crash tested my first Dainese mesh jacket (it died but I survived with intact skin). All have been well made and well finished but not particularly cheap, especially if you buy in Australia. If you know your Dainese size, Bimoto in Belgium is about the best place to buy. They have more styles and colours than Australian stockists as well.

Dead Dainese mesh jacket:
file-8.jpg

One question, do you tuck shorty gloves under your jacket sleeve or do they fit over the jacket sleeve?

The AlpineStars Octane S Moto Gloves look pretty cool for summer gloves.

One question, do you tuck shorty gloves under your jacket sleeve or do they fit over the jacket sleeve?

Under the sleeve. I only wear shortys in the very hottest part of the summer and only for short rides. ....or trail riding.

I also prefer the shorties. Make sure you try them on before you buy them as sizes are hard to figure out. I wear an xl in a stars and a medium in speed and strength.

Last edited:
I tuck mine under.

Those might be ok, they appear to be all leather. I say that because I have owned two pairs of Alpinestars SP-X Gloves, both the current generation glove and the previous rendition. The SP-X is a leather/mesh mix summer type glove. Both of my pairs came apart at the union of the two different materials right near the thumb/palm joint. My case is not isolated, I have heard that other riders experienced this same failure.

I sent both pairs in to Alpinestars for repair, and they were accommodating. My first pair was out of warranty, but they repaired them for free - I only had to pay shipping. The second pair was under warranty, and they took care of everything. Both gloves failed again in the exact same spot after their respective repairs. Now I'm not sure if they failed due to my hand shape/size, riding/grip style, or due to their design specification - but I feel fairly confident to say that it is due to their design spec. I don't think the leather/mesh union is strong enough to stand up to daily use.

This isn't meant to bash Alpinestars. I have two pairs of their boots, both the Web Gore-Tex and the Net Air, and have been pleased with them - especially the Web Gore-Tex. I also have their Deploy backpack and like it. BUT, be wary of their leather/mesh summer type gloves.

Here's a shot of the failure point on my first pair of SP-X. And I should have mentioned that this only occurred on the left hand of both pairs of gloves.

At the time, I was really upset about it too, because I liked those gloves! Well, that and the fact that I was in the middle of a long moto trip when the failure became so large that I didn't feel safe wearing the gloves.

Here's the left hand of the second pair. I didn't wear them long enough after they were repaired to allow them to come completely undone again, I just got some replacements.

Last edited:
insurrection racing gloves are what i wear year round down to 40-50 degress, in rain/cold i run icon pdx gloves which are good down to about 40 degrees, under that it gets a little chilly til 30 then under that they're not so great with the wind chill

by the way, here's a pic of my insurrection gloves after a 150mph crash where i tumbled for 400+ feet. as you can see, slight scuffing, but thats it, no tears on the leather, nothin, going on 3 years of use at every track day and the majority of the year

photo1_zpsd4d8932f.jpg

Back