GIVI or SW Motech side luggage racks

I'm considering adding hard side cases onto my 2012 FZ1.

Looking at both to mount the GIVI V35 cases.

Motech requires no cutting and GIVI requires the fender to be notched out.

Motech is $50 more but doesn't require a fitkit where GIVI does ($300 vs $250).

Twisted Throttle will charge for shipping except if I buy over $350. Not a problem if I buy the cases at the same time.

GIVI uses a special tool to remove the racks, Motech doesn't but GIVI hides one of the screws behind the case for security.

Which would be better?

Well not having both I can't say which one would necessarily be "better". I will tell you that I have the Givi mounts and I'm happy with them. I got the removable ones, but I rarely actually remove them. Only takes a few seconds to put on or remove. As far as cutting the underside of the tail liner, it's not that big a deal. There are marks on the inside to show you exactly where to cut and with a Dremel it only takes a few minutes. The marks are there because Yamaha offers hard cases in other markets that mount pretty much the same way as the Givi's.

I have the SW Motec racks. Huge fan of their stuff, stupidly beefy. My one bitch is that I also have the motec topcase rack (Alu-rack). The topcase rack comes powdercoated with a gorgeous satin black wrinkle finish that is almost a perfect match to the frame coating on an FZ1 second gen. For some screwed up reason the sidecase racks are a gloss black coating that match nothing else on the bike.

I have my own blast cabinet and powdercoating setup so the first thing I did was recoat everything. The quick release ability is great for commuting with the bags and taking the racks off when not needed, but if you are going to travel with them and have the bike unattended you will need to take a security loop with you so that someone can't just turn all the quick disconnects and remove the racks along with your sidecases.

I have the full givi setup (side and top case) and its amazing. I haven't looking into the others you mention as I bought my bike with the cases, but its great. I normally only use my tail case and keep the side cases off. Its nice to beable to even remove the mount for side cases and have a clean look, and then it quickly (2 min maybe) to add the brackets on for the cases to mount up.

If you need any pics let me know, here is a few I have now, hope it helps.

Brackets for side cases that comes off

Brackets off the bike

Brackets on bike

I would like to add that the outdoor pictures are from the guy I was buying the bike from, that is why the bike looks dirty and nasty. It has been intensively detailed since I took possession (saved it.) The guy rode it but didn't keep it clean :mad:

Hope the pics above help

Givi if you prefer the sexy rack curves. However givi capacity is only 35L. Not enough to fit 1 full face, 1 raincoat set on 1 side each.

Im using SW Motech rack with H&B 40L side panniers. No regrets over the larger box capacity. Also it helps when buying groceries.

However givi capacity is only 35L. Not enough to fit 1 full face, 1 raincoat set on 1 side each.

I can fit my full face just fine in a side case. (scorpion exo 1100) I wear a medium. My wifes large helmet (hjc CL-16 )will not however. Depends on helmet and shape.

Back