Generosity to a Fault or Genuine Moron

"So yes, I'm probably an idiot for lending the bike to an 18 year old (almost 19), but I just can't seem to control myself. My nephew and I also decided his parents didn't need to know about this: What happens in Port St Lucie.."

No fault on you. I'd have done the same. These things are, after all, just machines. Why place so much misplaced emotional investment in them? Fix them and move on.

You did the right thing.

Last edited:
Thank you Berto very much. I have thought about this incident, along with the million other things I think about every day, a lot more, especially since the thread was revived recently. I now believe that yes, an 18 year old could ride the FZ1 as a lender bike but it takes a very special 18 year old. As much as I thought Dan was very capable this is probably one instance where it does take a certain amount of maturity to handle the machine with care and Dan was probably not quite there. I just continue to thank the powers that be that he was unharmed. The forum members have given me a lot of new perspective on the matter.

Yes - you did very well to stay so cool about it. And I'm glad the young chap wasn't hurt.

But, there's no way I would lend my Fazer to anyone. Shakespeare wrote "Neither a lender nor a borrower be".

It's lucky that the damage is superficial - The FZ1 is one tough cookie!

Back