Generosity to a Fault or Genuine Moron

I think the latter.

My nephew, Daniel (named after my brother who died in 1972), visited me for the week. He got his motorcycle endorsement about a year ago and is a good rider. I've ridden with him before. He's a freshman in Villanova, just about to turn 19. A bright kid in his own right, he adored Jake for his intellectual capacity and the fact that Jake, the same age, never made him feel inferior. Jake enjoyed Dan's lightheartedness and humor. So I was happy to have him for the week. He actually rode my C14 for a few days because that bike was simply too tall for John, and John rode the FZ1. But the FZ1 has a way of endearing itself to all riders so when he asked if he could visit his friend in Winter Haven, 120 miles away, using the FZ1 I let him go.

100 miles into the trip (he had about 50 miles on the bike from the last fuel up when he took off) he decided he needed gas and felt he needed it fast. Without checking the exit (off of route 95) he took the ramp and learned it wasn't an exit at all but some kind of utility road. Worse yet, the road was full of gravel. He went down, incurring not a scratch to himself, but did quite a number on my shiny new FZ1:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTctMjAxMTAzMDQtMTgxNi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTYtMjAxMTAzMDQtMTgxNS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTUtMjAxMTAzMDQtMTgxNS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTQtMjAxMTAzMDQtMTgxNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTMtMjAxMTAzMDQtMTgxNC5qcGc.jpg

He told me the details a few times but they didn't quite match up to the damage. The bike couldn't have just laid down. Apparently there was a gradient/slope on the right side but the way the Cee Bailey Wind Screen shattered and the right front of the bike took a hit I'm guessing the bike went airborne in some manner and smashed down on the right front fairing. The frame slider had some dirt in it but basically never touched down. The rear of the bike is clean. The tank cover has one tiny smooth indent with no scratch or paint loss.

I took the bike to my now favorite Yamaha dealer and they ordered all the parts, including 2 new mirrors (both seem to have been disjointed at their base), right fairing front cowling, headlight assembly, emblems, radiator cap, and some other things I'm probably forgetting for $1100. They gave me a 10% discount on the parts. They're going to give me nice price on the labor as well and probably have the work done mid next week.

I was gracious with my nephew and blamed myself for not going with him and not going over enough scenarios. He was bumming pretty bad but I told him we both learned something from it and most important, he was unharmed. I also told him that as he gets older he will learn to prioritize better and keep his wits about him. Running out of gas is not the worst thing in the world, I told him. You had a cell phone and could call any number of people who could have bailed him out. On the other hand, panicking about not finding a gas station and not reading road signs and landscape clearly could have hurt you badly. To his credit he dusted himself off, picked the bike up and rode it the rest of his way to his friend's house and then back, after gassing up.

Luckily the bike is perfect mechanically. All three of their mechanics examined the bike, came up with the parts list and cleared the bike for riding. I took it up to a good speed today, then rode it a few hours and, looks aside, it rides fine.

So yes, I'm probably an idiot for lending the bike to an 18 year old (almost 19), but I just can't seem to control myself. My nephew and I also decided his parents didn't need to know about this: What happens in Port St Lucie...

So sorry to hear about the FZ Norm, but am happy to hear that your nephew is okay. I know you'll have the bike back to "good as new" status soon. I think it's time for you to have a "knock around" bike for occasions like this so you don't have to lend out your "jewel". Again, I'm glad that he's okay. Keep on truckin' my friend!

Wow sorry to hear about the mishap that your nephew had. Glad to hear that he was not hurt. On a personal note I learned long ago not to lend my bike(s) to anybody. I too learned the hard way after my cousin dumped my '88 FZR1000 in a parking lot and did about $1500 worth of damage to it back in the early 90's.

I agree with Billy on this one. Definitely a nice guy. Right now I won't let anyone ride my bike but that is only because I cannot afford $1,200 in repairs right now. ;)

Hey Norm,

Glad to hear your nephew is ok. I am sure he feels awful for wrecking you bike. It's amazing how beautiful these bikes look when they are in good shape and it takes a little spill to make them look pretty messed up. I haven't had anyone ask to ride my bikes other than when I was selling them and then I had collateral (car keys). Hope you bike is as good as new when you get it fixed.

Agh what the hell, ship happens. The bike is repairable and you have a great family story to talk about for years to come. I bet you could get that poor kid to do anything you need for the next couple of years.

sorry to hear about the situation but good on you for handling it this way . I`m sure some good karma is right around the corner for you !!! Mark

Well damn, do I have to be the bad guy? 19, hell he should be at the very least paying for the damages IMHO, if not, Norm do you want another nephew? I really need to drop a bike soon to get it out of the way :)

Last edited:
Norm you are indeed a kind and gracious uncle. First off glad the boy is okay. I do agree with romr, that some form of restitution should be considered. If it hurts the pocket a little the lesson has more meaning. Not that I would come down on the kid like a ton of bricks, but taking responsibility will make him an even better man than it sounds like he is becoming already. Just my two cents, good to see he wasn't too spooked to get back on the horse. And glad the horse didn't have to take a bullet.

Norm,the most important thing is that your nephew is ok,but after that....
I can give you my wife BUT NEVER MY BIKE!!!!!!
I've got 2 uncles,even bikers since I remember,but they didn't permit me to drive their bikes,when I was 19th and now,that I'm near 40 and with more than 300000km on my back,to!! It depends from character ,I mean,but when I use my stuff and you your's,nothing going to be wrong ;-)

Obviously I'm joking right now..
Bike is in our's hearts but at the end is a thing that you can repair or rebuy if is necessary(a good lesson for a teenager pay himself!!!)... the safeness of our's family is not on sale.......in special when a nephew has a name so important!
Bye great Uncle Norm!!!

Last edited:
Norm,the most important thing is that your nephew is ok,but after that....
I can give you my wife BUT NEVER MY BIKE!!!!!!
I've got 2 uncles,even bikers since I remember,but they didn't permit me to drive their bikes,when I was 19th and now,that I'm near 40 and with more than 300000km on my back,to!! It depends from character ,I mean,but when I use my stuff and you your's,nothing going to be wrong ;-)

Obviously I'm joking right now..
Bike is in our's hearts but at the end is a thing that you can repair or rebuy if is necessary(a good lesson for a teenager pay himself!!!)... the safeness of our's family is not on sale.......in special when a nephew has a name so important!
Bye great Uncle Norm!!!

+1 :tup:

Most important is that the boy is OK!!! Nothing else matters.
But if you want to teach your nephew a good lesson of responsibility, lend him the money for the repairs and give him a reasonable term to pay you back. A friend of mine did so with his son when he slided his bike in a similar way as your case. The boy payed back the repairs to his father in one year period.

But of course, this is for you to decide and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' decision. As said, the most important thing is that the boy is unharmed!

But if you want to teach your nephew a good lesson of responsibility, lend him the money for the repairs and give him a reasonable term to pay you back. A friend of mine did so with his son when he slided his bike in a similar way as your case. The boy payed back the repairs to his father in one year period.

But of course, this is for you to decide and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' decision. As said, the most important thing is that the boy is unharmed!

Well, I wouldn't be that hard on him. The kid is a school kid which is what he should concentrate on. Now if he had put the bike down attempting a wheelie or rolling burnout, then I would agree 100% with you K. That would teach him to be responsible. In this case it was lack of experience on a "strange" bike which lead to the incident. So I think in this case we give him a pass. I'm sure he learned his lesson. Oh, not to mention that Norm is not without blame here too, which he alludes to. I myself, as a personal preference, do not lend my bike to anyone, period. I think I switched bikes with Dave (P.O.) once, and Tony one time in order to troubleshoot a noise. That was it. I would never ask to ride another person's bike as well. Just my personal tastes and everyone is different, and it doesn't make it right or wrong, but if you do lend someone your bike, you must be prepared for things like this to happen.

So let's cut this young man some slack this time and be happy that he is alright. At least he has gained one "mark" in the experience column!

Not only are you generous, but a gentleman. You handled the aftermath with the nephew in a way that I am sure that he appreciated. Bikes can be fixed easily, relationships can not.

Kudos to you.

Norm,

As all the rest have said, the biggest thing is that the young man is OK. You don't need worry about what could have been, it wasn't. Every person matures at a different rate and experience is a big part of that. When I was the age of your nephew I was living on my own and paying my own way in the world. While still at home, a couple of years before and driving my parents cars, I had an accident in each of the cars. One my fault, and 1 not. I paid my fathers deductible to get his car repaired (it was brand new). He would have let it slide (I'm sure) but I was a proud sort.

When my buddies and I switch bikes (never the FZ-1 by the way) it is with the agreement that should we damage it, we fix it. We all think that is a reasonable way of preventing bad feelings and the only honorable way to use someone elses equipment. The other riders don't even want to ride my FZ-1 because of the way I keep it, they are afraid of scratching it (or worse) and know how much it means to me. After the hassles that I just went through with a damaged vehicle and the costs of replacing it I may rethink the whole lending machines anyway.

You Norm are and have always been very generous in allowing others to use your machines (from past posts that I have read). The potential has always been there for this to happen, but until now you have been fortunate.I admire your generosity of spirit, but sometimes there has to be a hint of selfishness when it comes to certain things. You just have to decide which things those are, if only for your own protection (and maybe the less mature youngsters as well).

Chalk it up to an expensive learning experience and I hope that great looking bike is moving your soul down the road again soon! It sounds like the shop you deal with is a good bunch. Take care Norm.:2cents:

Even if your nephew did not pay the full amount to repair your bike, I think he would feel better if he contributed some amount to fixing it. I think he would also learn more from it if he helped pay for some of the repairs, even if it was just $100. He is a student so I would take that into consideration. Part of growing up is realizing that decisions have consequences. When I was 17, I wrecked my parents car and my parents payed for the whole thing. Had my parents ask me to pay some towards the accident, I may have learned at an earlier point in my life about financial consequences.

That sounds like great deal, even if you go halfs with him...

Back