Gen II Ohlins rear shock problem

These are the Ohlins part Numbers for the two rear Monoshocks that fit the Gen2

1) YA009 Type S46DR1

2) YA041 Type S46HR1C1S c/w remote reservoir

Hope this helps?

Because of the 1 piece design of the shock body. If if were a shock body designed for a remote reservoir, the shock can be modified to use different shaft lengths with different lower mounts.

Ahh....I see.
So I wonder if it's possible to unscrew the top section that supports the piggy back res. and screw on a new upper "cap/body"
that is remote res. compatible? (See earlier photos to go with this question)

I will probably send it back this week, get my $$$ back & then order a Wilbers (or maybe the entry-level Ohlins..)

....But! The thing I can't get my head around is this:
Assuming the shock was mounted to an FZ (and I believe it was) - it has the eye mounts for a Gen 2, the piggyback for a Gen 1, and the remote pre-load bracket modified from....????
So how the *beeep* was it mounted & working???

(I am fully aware that I may never know the answer)

Going back to Dicko's suggestion, I'd try and locate a Satan's adapter as that is the only possible way I can see this shock fitting a Gen II bike. Since Richard doesn't post here, I have but one choice to link back to his thread on the other site:

Satan's New R1 Shock adapter - FZ1OA Message Board

This is specifically for the R1 shock which I believe is what your Ohlins was designed to fit initially. So, if you find one or buy from Richard, make sure it is the new model that mounts the reservoir to the rear and not the front.

Here, he states he'd made extras and his next run would be this year:

FZ1OA Message Board - View Single Post - Satan's New R1 Shock adapter

Last edited:
Going back to Dicko's suggestion, I'd try and locate a Satan's adapter as that is the only possible way I can see this shock fitting a Gen II bike. Since Richard doesn't post here, I have but one choice to link back to his thread on the other site:

Satan's New R1 Shock adapter - FZ1OA Message Board

This is specifically for the R1 shock which I believe is what your Ohlins was designed to fit initially. So, if you find one or buy from Richard, make sure it is the new model that mounts the reservoir to the rear and not the front.

Here, he states he'd made extras and his next run would be this year:

FZ1OA Message Board - View Single Post - Satan's New R1 Shock adapter

Yeah....I had a feeling the shock would probably fit my bike with a Satan adapter....but in the end there was too many question marks & 'what-if's' for my limited budget & precious time. I don't want this drag on for weeks (or months) trying different dead-ends.
Satan666 did come back to me the other day & he thought it was most likely an R1 (or R6) designed shock too.

Anyway, I boxed it up yesterday & sent it back for a refund. To his credit, the seller has been very open & helpful (even if he had no idea what he was actually selling!)

When the $$$ come back, I think I'm going to order a Nitron 'R1' model shock.

Many thanks to all the replies here -- much appreciated!

Back