Gen 1 to fz8

The 848 Ducati -- first of all -- is a Ducati which is an exotic high maintenance bike. Next -- it is not a fair comparison to the necked FZ1. Two completely different bikes. Yet, the FZ1 is faster in a quarter mile, and will stop faster but will not turn in as fast as an 848. Of course, the FZ1 cost about $2500 less in 2008. Put that into suspension and the FZ1 makes the 848 appear like a bad choice. Plus the 848 is just stupid --- it won't run with a liter bike croutch rocket and can't even keep up with a GSXR 750. So --- it's just another overpriced exotic.

Hmmm... I can't resist... I agree comparing a FZ1 to a 848 EVO is a very bad comparison. Two completely different bikes with different intended purposes. I have ridden both generations of the FZ1 and just purchased my first Gen II that is getting delivered this week (the Motovation FZ1N). It works for what I'm looking for right now. I'll likely go back to an Italian bike for my next -- the new Aprilia Tuono V4 after a couple of years on the market and the addition of some features I'm looking for... (I already know how highly you think of that bike...) :shoot:

Sorry, got off track... I strongly disagree with the rest of your points, however. The 848 is a phenomenal bike and will eat a lot of liter bikes in the twisties or on some tracks in the right hands. I've got my flame suit on because that holds true for most bikes\riders out there. Put the same skilled rider on a FZ1 and a 848 on a track and I'm guessing you would have a different opinion as it wouldn't be close -- unless at the drag strip. The 848 is reasonably priced for what you get in the package and it's obvious that you haven't owned a recent Ducati or kept up with them as they don't require the service they used to. Kinda of like my father-in-law trying to tell me that the valves still need to be adjusted every 1000 miles (I've forgiven him as he is my father-in-law after-all and a Winger on top of it)... :banghead:

I love all bikes and love the FZ1 which is why I purchased one. And I know this is a FZ1 forum but the close-mindedness and lack of knowledge about other bikes sometimes rubs me the wrong way. I'm not trying to start a war of words here but I have experience with Ducati's and to say that the 848 is just "plain stupid" and an "another overpriced exotic" is senseless to me. My experience is those that can't afford Duc's, MV's, Aprilia's, Bimota's etc. always tend to knock them and come back to the maintenance topic. I'm sure if you rode one, you would have a completely different opinion. Or maybe not, but at least at that point, you would be a position to offer an opinion based on experience. Just sayin'...

Hmmm... I can't resist... I agree comparing a FZ1 to a 848 EVO is a very bad comparison. Two completely different bikes with different intended purposes. I have ridden both generations of the FZ1 and just purchased my first Gen II that is getting delivered this week (the Motovation FZ1N). It works for what I'm looking for right now. I'll likely go back to an Italian bike for my next -- the new Aprilia Tuono V4 after a couple of years on the market and the addition of some features I'm looking for... (I already know how highly you think of that bike...) :shoot:

You're missing my point. I don't agree with anyone comparing a $8000 bike to a $13000 bike. That is what is stupid. I even saw one rag comparing a Harley Spurster 1200 to a Ducati 1000 Street fighter. How stupid is that?

I love the Aprilia race bike and the Tuono. I just think it's a bad investment for the average rider. If you have money to burn --- go for it. But, give a person a Jap liter bike and he will have all the bike most people will ever need or use. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Back to the FZ1 v. FZ8 discussion....

Some people plain and simply do not want to spend another $2,000 on an FZ1 if the FZ8 already meets their needs. ....or they just love the street fighter look. I think the market for it is larger than you might think.

Believe it or not ~$2,000 price difference is the only reason I got an FZ1 over a VFR. It is not always about performance.

I attended a Yamaha demo day on Saturday, but the demo rides were rained out. Myself, my best friend and my girlfriend accounted for 80% of the riders who showed up to demo some bikes.

Anyway, I took the opportunity to sit on the FZ8 and a Gen 2 FZ1 in the showroom and I absolutely loved the look and feel of the FZ8 from the saddle. I don't think the two bikes are all that different (and Motorcycle Ergonomics seems to show that the difference in minimal) but it certainly gives you a much different view from the saddle.

If the two were equally priced, I'd certainly pick the '8 over the '1 for that reason alone

It's a shame I didn't get to ride one, I was really hoping to

Some people plain and simply do not want to spend another $2,000 on an FZ1 if the FZ8 already meets their needs. ....or they just love the street fighter look. I think the market for it is larger than you might think.

Believe it or not ~$2,000 price difference is the only reason I got an FZ1 over a VFR. It is not always about performance.

I do agree with that. People enjoy riding for a lot of different reasons and I think money plays a big part as to what folks ride. I know I would be on a different bike if I had the money. :)

You're missing my point. I don't agree with anyone comparing a $8000 bike to a $13000 bike. That is what is stupid. I even saw one rag comparing a Harley Spurster 1200 to a Ducati 1000 Street fighter. How stupid is that?

I love the Aprilia race bike and the Tuono. I just think it's a bad investment for the average rider. If you have money to burn --- go for it. But, give a person a Jap liter bike and he will have all the bike most people will ever need or use. It's that simple.

Fair enough. The comparisons are often times stupid as you suggest...

No bike is an investment but that being said, I'm completely respectful that everyone's "means" are different. Personally, I like trying out as many bikes as possible and don't plan on stopping. I can't wait to get my FZ in the next day or two. And I agree that a Jap liter is the most anyone (myself included) will ever need. Peace brother.

I don't get this? GenII FZ1s are old hat now and new examples (09s,10s), not to mention used examples, can be had for ridiculously low $.

I don't get this? GenII FZ1s are old hat now and new examples (09s,10s), not to mention used examples, can be had for ridiculously low $.

Very true. I only buy new so that is where my view comes from. You can definitely get a good low mileage Gen2 for less than a new FZ8.

Here in Winnipeg the price comparison between the Duc 848 and FZ1 is less than a thousand dollars. This is based on 2010's.
The FZ8 is 3,000 less.
And with just putting new tires on my Gen 1 I am keeping to baby for at least another year. Honestly I will not sell as all I will get here is about 3500.00 bucks, think of it spend another 10 g's over this for a new bike that is really not that much better than my Gen 1.
I might look for a 2008ish gen 2 out of the states next year

Not going to lie if there was a naked FZ8 for less then I bought my FZ1 I probably would've went with the 8 considering it was my first time owning a sport bike. That being said I love my FZ1 and wouldn't trade her for the world :p

Here in Winnipeg the price comparison between the Duc 848 and FZ1 is less than a thousand dollars. This is based on 2010's.
The FZ8 is 3,000 less.
And with just putting new tires on my Gen 1 I am keeping to baby for at least another year. Honestly I will not sell as all I will get here is about 3500.00 bucks, think of it spend another 10 g's over this for a new bike that is really not that much better than my Gen 1.
I might look for a 2008ish gen 2 out of the states next year

You Canucks must be rich!! :)

We are rich....till the tax man gets his huge Canadian paws into our money which leaves us if we are lucky at middle class.
But on the plus side tons of work here and now the Jets........
Sleds and Bikes here for new average about 14,000.00. It is BS as over on the Totally Yamaha form for sleds many a discussion has taken place on why such a price difference between Canada and the US. Bottom line it comes down to because we as Canadians are willing to pay more.
They first tried the old market share BS but with Sleds Canada had 40,000 +/- units sold last year and the USA was just under 50,000 so obviously that throws that excuse out the door.
As I said I will never buy new in Canada.....go South as they say were our Stanley Cup is now sitting...grrrrrrr

We are rich....till the tax man gets his huge Canadian paws into our money which leaves us if we are lucky at middle class.
But on the plus side tons of work here and now the Jets........
Sleds and Bikes here for new average about 14,000.00. It is BS as over on the Totally Yamaha form for sleds many a discussion has taken place on why such a price difference between Canada and the US. Bottom line it comes down to because we as Canadians are willing to pay more.
They first tried the old market share BS but with Sleds Canada had 40,000 +/- units sold last year and the USA was just under 50,000 so obviously that throws that excuse out the door.
As I said I will never buy new in Canada.....go South as they say were our Stanley Cup is now sitting...grrrrrrr

Yep --- I've met quite a few guys from Canada and since you only get to ride bikes about 3 months per year --- it seems like an expensive sport.

Yep --- I've met quite a few guys from Canada and since you only get to ride bikes about 3 months per year --- it seems like an expensive sport.

My province is pretty temperate compared to the rest of Canada and one can ride year-round if you don't mind 10-15F temperatures and a little slush and snow once in a while. Typically the only forecast is rain around here but sometimes we get a lil' sun :)

My province is pretty temperate compared to the rest of Canada and one can ride year-round if you don't mind 10-15F temperatures and a little slush and snow once in a while. Typically the only forecast is rain around here but sometimes we get a lil' sun :)

I --- damn sure -- would stay home before I would ride in 10 degree slush. :)

Back