Gen 1 to fz8

markowinnipeg

Was at a local dealer and the salesman was trying to talk me into trading in my Gen 1 on a 2011 FZ8. His sales pitch was same power with less weight?
I have ridden a Gen 2 FZ1 but never an 8. He is telling me will be a way nicer ride than my Gen but I questioned it.
I cannot see an 8 keeping up with my Gen 1 specially with mine being geared down and ivans jet kit.
Anyone ridding one?

I think the FZ8 is around 100 to 108 hp. I don't think the weight savings is great enough to bridge the torque advantage your Gen I would have over the 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 8 is essentially the FZ1 but they removed the adjustable suspension and changed the motor's internals. It's about the same weight at the FZ1 but cut down to 102 HP. I wouldn't say it is a better ride than the Gen I FZ1 because that (Gen I) is still a bit better ride than the Gen II when you talk about comfort. The Gen II (and FZ8) are more aggressive in seating. The FZ8 doesn't have nearly the HP or torque that your current ride offers.

The FZ8 has a place but once you've been on the FZ1, I think you'd find the FZ8 to be lacking. If you were coming from a 600 class, then the FZ8 might be more appealing. Get a deal on a leftover Gen II or find a good deal on a used one if this is the style you desire. You'll be a lot happier!

When I replaced my suspension for Hyperpro we also discussed the differance in stock suspension between the FZ8 and the FZ1.

Compared to the FZ8 the suspension on the FZ1 was brilliant. The stock suspension seems to be very lacking. They are selling way more upgrades for the FZ8 as they ever did for the FZ1

So thats also something to think about.

I've ridden the FZ8 and FZ1 Gen II. They are very similar in seating position and have similar power delivery in everyday riding, the FZ8 has a fat midrange making riding fast easy on the street. But unless you absolutely want a naked bike I don't see the advantage of buying an FZ8 over an FZ1. You can buy brand spankin' new 2009 FZ1's for a song, cheaper than what a dealer is going to sell a 2011 FZ8 for. To me it was a no brainer and I bought an FZ1 when I moved up from an FZ6 last month.

And some stuff, like a centerstand, is an option on the FZ8 but standard on the FZ1.

Was at a local dealer and the salesman was trying to talk me into trading in my Gen 1 on a 2011 FZ8. His sales pitch was same power with less weight?
I have ridden a Gen 2 FZ1 but never an 8. He is telling me will be a way nicer ride than my Gen but I questioned it.
I cannot see an 8 keeping up with my Gen 1 specially with mine being geared down and ivans jet kit.
Anyone ridding one?

To tell it like it is --- He is lying to you to sell a bike.

If they are going to let you ride it to make up your own mind cool. One of the local dealers will not let sportbikes out for test drives.

That's why you should keep your eyes open for the free test rides that most of these manufacturers provide throughout the year. I always take advantage of these and test ride one or two bikes I might be interested in down the road.

I told the salesman that I would not buy any bike without ever riding it, he said I had just missed the demo day and other than that they do not have test drives.
Honestly I could never give up the power of my bike, could however see myself maybe sitting on a not so comfy but oh so nice Ducati 800 evo.......god I luv that bike, anyone want to buy a mint FZ1?????

I told the salesman that I would not buy any bike without ever riding it, he said I had just missed the demo day and other than that they do not have test drives.
Honestly I could never give up the power of my bike, could however see myself maybe sitting on a not so comfy but oh so nice Ducati 800 evo.......god I luv that bike, anyone want to buy a mint FZ1?????

I don't get that --- a Ducati 800 Evo is a dog compared to the FZ1

I'd be interested in playing around with the new FZ8 ... It'd need a hefty dose of mods to it... but something about the FZ8 appeals to me.... I love my Gen 1... so I'd never trade in my Gen 1 on the FZ8.... but I'd entertain the idea of picking one up as a stable-mate...

Although... looking at the specs, the Gen 1 FZ's wet weight is 459.0 lbs... the FZ8 is 487.0 lbs..... WTF? The wheelbase on the Gen 1 is 57.1" .. the FZ8 is 57.5 ....

So... looking at the specs... the FZ8 is heavier... makes less power... and has a longer wheelbase when compared to my Gen 1.... hmmm... maybe i'm not interested in it.

But.. I'd still like to play with one..

Although... looking at the specs, the Gen 1 FZ's wet weight is 459.0 lbs... the FZ8 is 487.0 lbs..... WTF? The wheelbase on the Gen 1 is 57.1" .. the FZ8 is 57.5 ....

My Gen 1 manual listed dry weight as 208kg (458lbs). Add fuel, oil and coolant and I believe a standard Gen 1 is somewhere in the range of 505lbs wet. The FZ8 is a wet weight of 487lbs as you listed as per the spec sheets I found. I believe the Gen 2 is actually nearly identical wet weight (maybe 5lbs heavier) to the FZ8 though so that begs the question of why.

Personally, I think it's great they brought the FZ8 to market but I think it's a limited market. If you compared new-to-new, I could only see the FZ8 being useful for someone if they have some kind of license restriction or there are huge spikes in insurance premiums between 800 and 1000.

For me here in BC, Canada; our insurance jumps in price at 401cc, 751cc and 1151cc so the FZ8 is not really an attractive option when you could just pay the same premiums for an FZ1. This is why a bike like the Ninja 400R is very attractive to new riders out here when compared to a GS500 or Ninja 500R--you pay about 50% less to insure a 400cc bike than you would a 500cc bike.

I don't get that --- a Ducati 800 Evo is a dog compared to the FZ1

I don't think there's such thing as a Ducati 800 Evo. There's an 848 Evo which is probably the bike he's referring to. How can it be considered a dog compared to the FZ1 when it makes nearly the same power and torque at similar RPMs (140/75 vs 150/77) but with 100lbs less wet weight?

You're big on spec sheets and what-not so I was curious what your impressions were.

Last edited:
My Gen 1 manual listed dry weight as 208kg (458lbs). Add fuel, oil and coolant and I believe a standard Gen 1 is somewhere in the range of 505lbs wet. The FZ8 is a wet weight of 487lbs as you listed as per the spec sheets I found. I believe the Gen 2 is actually nearly identical wet weight (maybe 5lbs heavier) to the FZ8 though so that begs the question of why.
My Gen I with rear tank bag weighs 500 lbs.
Personally, I think it's great they brought the FZ8 to market but I think it's a limited market. If you compared new-to-new, I could only see the FZ8 being useful for someone if they have some kind of license restriction or there are huge spikes in insurance premiums between 800 and 1000.

I don't think there's such thing as a Ducati 800 Evo. There's an 848 Evo which is probably the bike he's referring to. How can it be considered a dog compared to the FZ1 when it makes nearly the same power and torque at similar RPMs (140/75 vs 150/77) but with 100lbs less wet weight?

You're big on spec sheets and what-not so I was curious what your impressions were.

The 848 Ducati -- first of all -- is a Ducati which is an exotic high maintenance bike. Next -- it is not a fair comparison to the necked FZ1. Two completely different bikes. Yet, the FZ1 is faster in a quarter mile, and will stop faster but will not turn in as fast as an 848. Of course, the FZ1 cost about $2500 less in 2008. Put that into suspension and the FZ1 makes the 848 appear like a bad choice. Plus the 848 is just stupid --- it won't run with a liter bike croutch rocket and can't even keep up with a GSXR 750. So --- it's just another overpriced exotic.

Very interesting that despite the weight difference, similar power and what would seem like an aero advantage for the 848; it still lags behind the FZ1 for flat-out straight line performance.

Thanks Joe!

Very interesting that despite the weight difference, similar power and what would seem like an aero advantage for the 848; it still lags behind the FZ1 for flat-out straight line performance.

Thanks Joe!

That info came from MCN's annual performance ratings for bikes. It only lists the 848 at 117 rear wheel HP but only weighs 428. I would also think the bike would be faster -- but it's not. Also the 0 to 30 and 0 to 60 times are slower. BTW --- it lists the FZ1 at 124.0 rear wheel HP. Mine dynos at 130 RWH

Again as with the FZ8 I have not ridden an 848 EVO, just liked the look. I also did not realize they were high maintainance.....anyways I have owned my fz1 for many many years and while others may catch my eye I never can bring myself to part with my Gen 1. Actually it was the main reason when buying a new sled I purchased a Yamaha Nytro......soooooo as much as I yack I do bleed blue and white....

First, we don't have to guess about the weight. Yamaha lists the wet weight as 487 lbs for BOTH FZ1 and FZ8.
You'll be able to find a prior model year FZ1 for less money than a 2011 FZ8 and have a motorcycle with better components and more HP/Torque. This one is a no-brainier. Caveat: If you must have a true naked, ie sans upper fairing, then you'll have to go with the FZ8. (Unless you convert an FZ1 )

Personally, if I was happy with my Gen 1 (never owned one), I'd hang on to it and least to see what the 2012 FZ1 is like.

The 848 Ducati -- first of all -- is a Ducati which is an exotic high maintenance bike. Next -- it is not a fair comparison to the necked FZ1. Two completely different bikes. Yet, the FZ1 is faster in a quarter mile, and will stop faster but will not turn in as fast as an 848. Of course, the FZ1 cost about $2500 less in 2008. Put that into suspension and the FZ1 makes the 848 appear like a bad choice. Plus the 848 is just stupid --- it won't run with a liter bike croutch rocket and can't even keep up with a GSXR 750. So --- it's just another overpriced exotic.

I think your being a bit unfair to the Ducati 848, it's a great bike. I love the 848 for its looks and because it is so different to my Gen II FZ1. I have ridden one many times, once in the hills of Scotland for a day covering over 250 miles, and it fitted me like a glove, and that's from someone who has only had sit up inline 4's and 2 stoke twins. It belongs to a club I am a member of and 2 of them have covered thousands of miles with any problems at all (the other dukes in the club have had a few issues though!). Im am riding one in the Alps next week and I cant wait to try it on those hills!

Steve

From CJ

The 848 Ducati -- first of all -- is a Ducati which is an exotic high maintenance bike. Next -- it is not a fair comparison to the necked FZ1. Two completely different bikes. Yet, the FZ1 is faster in a quarter mile, and will stop faster but will not turn in as fast as an 848. Of course, the FZ1 cost about $2500 less in 2008. Put that into suspension and the FZ1 makes the 848 appear like a bad choice. Plus the 848 is just stupid --- it won't run with a liter bike crotch rocket and can't even keep up with a GSXR 750. So --- it's just another overpriced exotic.

Touché!

Back