FZ1inNH 2013 Cobalt Blue Build

We have a lean toward the black now. Does anyone know what the actual color of these tails are? I'd like to be close to matching if I use paint. It's not quite black, more of a very dark grey/anthracite... almost metallic. Those who have this tail know what I mean.

I loaded up the latest map from ballmead which is a nice balance between his prior map and the richer Ivan map. I will need to set the TPS though. OEM TPS is at 0.669 and Ivan wants this to be between 0.640 and 0.650 for optimal performance. I'm going to run a couple tanks through first, then adjust the TPS and see how MPG is affected. But today's commute was eff'n SWEET! John did a great job working a new map for the Stage IV with the flash. No flat spots and no surging, just smooth response throughout. Thanks again John!! I'm still under the breakin so I'm not able to experience the WOW factor yet... Thus far, this is a fine tuned, excellent handling machine!

I finally ordered my replacement helmet. I liked the one I crashed in so much that I bought another one but different graphics. Another HJC RPHA 10 but this one is the Evoke. Motorcyclegear.com is clearing out this model for $279 shipped and that includes the pinlock visor with insert. I'll take all the stuff I can off my existing helmet and have spare parts and interior. I'm going to wash the liner and cheek pads and I'll be able to rotate clean ones in without having to wait for the wash and dry cycle. :D And I'll have a spare visor with pinlock.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RPHA-10 Evoke.jpg
    RPHA-10 Evoke.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 356
Saturday was another productive day. For the 2009, I was able to button up nearly everything and got the brakes all bled and set. I gave it a good wash to be sure to brake fluid film was left anywhere to eat the paint. I just have to order a few more parts that were broken and then she's up for sale.

For Lucky13, I put on the RAM mount and Copperdog Speed screen. I then modified the tail (cool stuff, this plastidip!) by peeling off only the two raised areas of the Strike cowl, just to try yet another look/feel for the tail. I'm liking how this looks right now. Then, I took the chin fairing and it looked bad. The middle of the front was white plastic from road wear... next to nothing on it for paint. Couple that with the scuffs from the accident and it wasn't looking good. Painting it would just yield the same end result. So, I masked off the protruded "nose" and the face of it which covered pretty much all damage, and applied SEVERAL coats of Plastidip. Thus creating a two-tone look for the chin as well. Again, if it doesn't hold up or I don't like it, peel it off! The last thing I did was de-sticker the bike and remove the foot-peg feelers. Below is the end results.

Before starting Saturday:
attachment.php

Progress:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

End result = She's BAAAAAAACK!!!!!:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20140809_151450.jpg
    IMG_20140809_151450.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_20140809_162252.jpg
    IMG_20140809_162252.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20140809_162330.jpg
    IMG_20140809_162330.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20140809_172012.jpg
    IMG_20140809_172012.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20140809_173407_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20140809_173407_hdr.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20140809_173800_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20140809_173800_hdr.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 328
Another spot for your two tone treatment. The lower (fork Protector part) of the front fender is a good spot for plasti dip. It's prone to chipping from road gravel and might look good too. How did you get a sharp edge to your plasti dip? When I did my front fender, I ended up using some pin strip for a clean finish.

001-20.jpg

Another spot for your two tone treatment. The lower (fork Protector part) of the front fender is a good spot for plasti dip. It's prone to chipping from road gravel and might look good too. How did you get a sharp edge to your plasti dip? When I did my front fender, I ended up using some pin strip for a clean finish.

That is a good one to cover. Thanks! As for the sharp edge, I just use the blue painters tape and carefully peel it off while the dip is still wet. I pull it angled toward the dipped side so it does not drag any of the wet stuff over to the painted edge. ;) You've also just reminded me that I need to find some deep blue rim tape! :Rockon:

Still need to prep and paint the Euro Scoops and install those to finish my appearance mods.

Can y'all vouch for the protective properties of plasti dip? It seems like it would. I'm getting a new fz and was just curious if it works. And FZ1inNH is there a particular finish of plasti you bought? And does it match the tail section well? Looks good in pictures

Can y'all vouch for the protective properties of plasti dip? It seems like it would. I'm getting a new fz and was just curious if it works. And FZ1inNH is there a particular finish of plasti you bought? And does it match the tail section well? Looks good in pictures
Yes it does protect well. In my Pic above, you can see the middle section of my belly pan. That was starting to get pitted from gravel, not anymore.

I bought the matte black cans which I believe are the standard color. Thus far it is holding up well, but I've not got a lot of miles on it yet with that coating.

Today I got the SS brake lines on, the dual PIAA horns and the 12V cigarette plug installed. I think I only have the heated grips and forks left to do....

The chin faring and new seat make the bike for me. This is one of those threads that could become historical for a generation. Lots of answers already figured with decent pictures and technical information.

My questions are:
1. Are you swapping ECUs or getting the new one reflashed?
2. Is it worth it to reflash and keep everything else stock or removing any flies?

The chin faring and new seat make the bike for me. This is one of those threads that could become historical for a generation. Lots of answers already figured with decent pictures and technical information.

My questions are:
1. Are you swapping ECUs or getting the new one reflashed?
2. Is it worth it to reflash and keep everything else stock or removing any flies?

First, thank you! I would have documented all of the installs here but we have nearly all of this covered in many other threads, be they mine or others. ;)

I did not flash the ECU for the 2013. I did a three-way swap. I put the 2013 ECU into my wife's 2007, The 2007 ECU into the '09 and the '09 flashed ECU into the 2013. All three run great with no ill effects.

I left the stock flies in the 2013 since Ivan says it doesn't matter one way or another if they are modded as his flash compensates by never fully closing them so they act like they are modded. And he does not recommend removing them with his flash.

It was very nice to have all the mods I wanted ready and available to put on a new bike. It was also a joy to work on a new bike where everything was clean and wrenched easily. Not a lot left to do and I'm very happy with the result.

Went thru all the pages and its awesome. What kind of seat is that and where can I get one?

Thanks! That is a seat from Top Saddlery in France. I got the LONG option for more seating area.

I have one here with gold stitching (rider seat only) if you're interested. It is the foam and cover and is easily fitted and stapled on to the OEM pan.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Thats damn near perfect. My color scheme is black white with gold accents. LOL.

Can you provide me a picture? I wouldnt wanna cluster up your thread so PMs can do. =D

I look forward to getting me a rear shock as well, either a penske or ohlins

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Thats damn near perfect. My color scheme is black white with gold accents. LOL.

Can you provide me a picture? I wouldnt wanna cluster up your thread so PMs can do. =D

I look forward to getting me a rear shock as well, either a penske or ohlins

Here it is. Wife used this for about 700 miles... It was $245 for just the foam and cover new. How about $180 shipped. You won't get one cheaper! ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20140911_203646.jpg
    IMG_20140911_203646.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20140911_203612.jpg
    IMG_20140911_203612.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 179
Back