FZ1 or Triumph Tiger or KTM SM T

Please bear with me - I'm frequenting all FZx-Forums and would post this on each one of them because I'll get a variety of opinions.
I've been here frequently for the past year and half. After I sold my 2008 FZ6 S2 (which I loved) last year I was bike-less for almost year. I was waiting and dreaming, but now I can make my final decision because I'll have the money in the next 2 months. I know it is my choice in the end but would like to know other members' comments.

I've got 3 sport tourers on my short list because of the price (ZAR125,000 - exchange $16,500), versatility and looks. The BMW GS is (for me) more of a dual purpose on/off road and I like something different and there is soooo many GS's on South Africa rounds.

My wife doesn't want to hear anything but FZ1 (talking about being biased), but said it is my choice in the end as long as it is comfortable for a pillion. She hates the KTM's looks but I see more than she does.

I’ll use it mainly for commuting, but my wife likes riding with me. We will definitely do some touring. In South Africa we have beautiful places to ride. We have many dirt roads going places normal people don't see often as well. That is why there is so many BMW GS's sold in South Africa. The Triumph and KTM is there for that possible reason.

My short list is:
ZAR125,000 - $16,500
FZ1 Fazer
Engine: Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 20-valves
Displacement: 998cc
Max Power: 110.3 kW (150HP) @ 11 000rpm
Max Torque: 106 Nm (10.8kg-m) @ 8 000rpm
Fuel Capacity: 18 litres
Dry Weight: 199kg
View attachment 1075

TRIUMPH TIGER ABS
Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity: 1050cc
Maximum Power: 115PS /114bhp / 85kW @ 9,400 rpm
Maximum Torque: 100Nm / 74ft.lb at 6,250 rpm
Fuel Capacity: 20 Litres
Weight (Dry): 198kg (+3 for ABS)
View attachment 1076

KTM 990 Supermoto T
Engine: Liquid cooling, four stroke, 75°V-twin cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Capacity: 999.8
Max Power: 116 hp 85 KW @ 9000 pm
Max Torque: 97 Nm @ 7000 rpm
Fuel Capacity 19 Litres
Dry-Weight 191 kg
View attachment 1077

my 2 cent input.
Buy the SM T for pure fun. I reckon your wife will not like this one due to uncomfortable seat and the easyness to powerwheelie...if you're looking to commute and do quite some tours, it'll be either the Triumph or the FZ1.

When I was on the point to make my decision, also I looked at the Tiger and thought it was a nice looking bike. After a testride, it still was a nice looking bike, but nothing more.

The FZ1 has a wide range of things you can do. (not so much the supormoto fun as with the KTM though) varying from relaxed touring (comfy buddy seat-compy seat position), race track days or riding sporty curves...and for what it's worth, I'm loving it every day more & more....

I think that neither model you suggest here can combine the diversity, power and agility of the GS, which I still think is truly a great bike (hence so many riding it ) .

It all depends what you want to do with the new ride...

Given the conditions you set forth I'd go with the GS or KTM. Most street bikes in my experience are not great off road bikes. If you were going to do 90% or more on road riding then, of your choices, I'd go with the FZ1. If you liked your FZ6 (I loved mine too) then you will love the FZ1. I looked at the Triumph Tiger. Other than the availability of ABS, I believe the FZ1 (ABS not available in the US) is better in every way.

comparison

A friend of mine has a GS 650, the one with the parralell twin 800cc motor. BMW did not want to rename and lose there market for the 650 crowd when they upped the dispalcement with the new motor. He had not ridden in many yaers and was still taking his safety course, so I had the priviledge of picking up and riding his new bike home for him. It has a slightly more upright stance for the rider than the FZ1, but very close. The bars seem a bit wider and the little windshield actually does something. It is very manueverable and light steering, again similar to the FZ1. Lots of torque and a wide powerband. No where near as much top end or midrange, but no slouch. The seat on his bike is worn out after 20,000 km., he is always complaining. He loves to ride off road and feels comfortable on the GS after putting on a set of Continental tires,(don't ask me what model). If I where going to get a second bike it would be the BMW GS 800, it has better suspention, and spoked wheels but is otherwise the same machine, colour aside. As for the pillon seat, the GS has an edge there, much like the Gen 1 FZ's.:2cents:

If it was my choice, it would be the FZ1, hands down but then I'm a solo street only rider. My wife doesn't ride much and when she has to, it's on my Goldwing. If your wife really likes to ride and ride long distance, I don't think she'll feel the same about the FZ1 after she's had the experience of a couple hundred miles on the rider's perch. I make my choices by reading all the road tests I can get my hands on, then make my decision on what best suits my use and style. I haven't had or ridden any of your other choices but I do admire the Triumph.

Given the dirt conditions you'll be subject to and the seat comfort for the pillion, the Tiger would be my choice. If you intend to stay street, the FZ1 is the clear winner. Just pick up a Corbin pillion seat with the backrest (removable) for her. ;)

For reference, I have had my FZ1 in some dirt, gravel and mud situations and while not comfortable, it did an OK job but BOY, you really need to know about throttle control in those places! :eek: :D

She will not like pillion on the KTM at all.

Given the dirt conditions you'll be subject to and the seat comfort for the pillion, the Tiger would be my choice. If you intend to stay street, the FZ1 is the clear winner. Just pick up a Corbin pillion seat with the backrest (removable) for her. ;)

For reference, I have had my FZ1 in some dirt, gravel and mud situations and while not comfortable, it did an OK job but BOY, you really need to know about throttle control in those places! :eek: :D

She will not like pillion on the KTM at all.

how was coming out of those situations back on to street tires get slick at all. just asking cause i did this and had my FZ almost come out from under me but i have more of a performance tire on then touring tire.

I would say, swallow your pride and buy a GS1200. Perfect for 2 up, comfy and if road surfaces are bad then it is the clear choice with that weird (but good) suspension set up.
If its all on good roads then buy the FZ. The KTM is a non starter for pillion comfort.
The Trump, I just have a doubt over long term durability/reliability and would say it offers nothing the FZ will not do better. After sitting on one (never rode one TBH) they seem over tall for no reason.

how was coming out of those situations back on to street tires get slick at all. just asking cause i did this and had my FZ almost come out from under me but i have more of a performance tire on then touring tire.

On any of those conditions, I always come out and while in 2nd, feather the throttle and start a slow slalom ride and lean a bit more in each direction each time to clean off the tires. Never too much at once and very gentle on the throttle. After they are scrubbed, I open it up to fling other stuff off. I've never had an issue with it doing this. Can't say it's enjoyable though!

The worst one was leaving a campground after helping a friend set up his RV. It had just rained hard with a lot of lightning. I left when the rain stopped but the road was blocked by the Sheriff who headed me down a side road. I didn't ask because I had the GPS on the bike... figured, it will get me home! Well, it did, and there was NO other way. I ended up on a 4 mile stretch of dirt road that was now muddy. I did my best to keep the bike on high spots. It did slip a couple times but nothing I couldn't handle (helps coming from extensive dirt riding!) and after hitting asphalt, it took a bit to get the tires scrubbed. Kind of scary but it went well enough. That was with the stock Dunlops though. Not sure a sport tire would be a whole lot worse but I'm sure it would not be as good.

I'm not sure the FZ1 has the ground clearance and suspension to do any kind of off-roading, so be sure to test drive the KTM SuperDuke also before making up your mind, although KTM's are notoriusly unreliable. Between the choices you list, and having in mind where you live, I'd definately go for something that can drive through some rough terrain. The F800GS is nice, the R1200GS is a monster, stay away from it, like riding an elephant.

Have you tried Honda Transalp, Cagiva Elephant (V-twin) ?

At first glance I'd say the Beemer, after all it is a bit mor 'industrial strength' or should I say there is more that is available for your intended pourpose like pannier alluminum hard bags ie. Motorcycle Panniers Luggage Systems and Bags | Metal Mule UK and from the factory there seem to be more offroad accessories. It's likely the fuel economy 'might' be better. HOWEVER, I love my FZ1. It's an 05 with just 7,000 miles on the clock. For what your suggesting I'd mount or fab mounts for the metal mule boxes, add the corbin seat with the rear passenger backrest, and a taller Givi windscreen. The Yamaha will cost considerably less in the longrun and probably take you into the 100K region on the clock before you need to address anything major. The KTM.....awwww I'd stay away from it, it's too brittle or has the propensity to nickel and dime you, and would likely be a tough one for parts aquisition in a timely fashion where the Yami and Beemer likely would be very easy to find dealerships and parts.

Wow, first time here and this is where I start. Oh well here it goes... I think the beemer would work best for you if you can afford it, do to all the availablility in your area.(dealers and service) Have you thought about a V-Strom? It may look a little unusual but it gets the job done pretty well. I had a DL1000 for a few months and put 12K miles on it. The seat is really comfortable, the realiablity is excellent, it corners well, and it can go offroad too. There is also a pretty loyal following with this group as well.(parts and and stuff) Not to mention in the states you can get 2 of them for the price of a BMW.

if you're not going to ride and revv the crap out of your bike, go for the KTM. The fun with the FZ1 starts at 8.000 RPM, and goes on until you hit the limiter.

What about the new Triumph Tiger 800XC......they look good.

Triumph Motorcycles - Tiger 800XC

If you go the BMW, I'd go straight to the R1200GS.....better wind protection and torque for two up touring. Whilst the F800 and F650GS are good bikes (especially off road) and get great fuel economy (4.5l/100km) the screens on them are rubbish and you will get lots of helmet buffeting and noise. Thats why I sold my F800. The suspension on the 650 is very soft and you will need some heaver springs in my opinion. Check of the F800 forum and UKgser forums.

Good luck!

PK1

Yea, I was thinking about the new Tiger 800XC. It's on my list for my adv bike when they start hitting the used market at good prices.

Having ridden the Tiger 1050 and owning an FZ1, I have to say, I did love the Tiger during it's test ride. It's a bit more upright seating but a tad too tall for me. You could probably be more comfortable on it for long rides for days on end than the FZ1 stock for stock. I wouldn't really think the Tiger would be much better off road than the FZ1 with the choice of front wheel they chose to put on there. It's definitely a street bike.

On our local board there's a guy who set up his KTM 950SMR for touring and absolutely loves it. With the bags and setup he's got he says it doesn't get any better than that.

In the end it really depends on what you want to do with it. The BMW 1200 guys swear by those bikes. They do very well both on and off road and have lots of comfort and power. But it's the most expensive of the list, and you don't want to break them. I've seen what the repair bills look like.

If you don't plan to get into the nasty stuff then any of the bikes you listed will do well for you. I remember reading about how 2WD trucks get stuck less than 4WD trucks do because the guys with 2WD trucks know better than to go stupid places whereas 4WD guys will go anywhere. The same could be said for bikes as well. You could get stupid stuck/broke with the BMW, but you'll never take an FZ1 into crazy rocky muddy territory.

All that said, if you plan to be mostly street with some dirt roads here and there, the FZ1 will get you there, and at the best price of any you've mentioned.

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

I know someone with that KTM, after long trips he needs to take out his tools and re tighten some screws. Appearently with the huge vibrating 990cc 2 cilinder its a KTM issue.
Get the bmw 1200GS if you want the best off and onroad combination touring machine,
take the FZ1 if you liked the fz6 but found the power lacking. they're not that much different other then the crazy power the fz1 gives you.
I would like to testride some triumphs myself, but they never realy give me the right feeling.

I know someone with that KTM, after long trips he needs to take out his tools and re tighten some screws. Appearently with the huge vibrating 990cc 2 cilinder its a KTM issue.
Get the bmw 1200GS if you want the best off and onroad combination touring machine,
take the FZ1 if you liked the fz6 but found the power lacking. they're not that much different other then the crazy power the fz1 gives you.
I would like to testride some triumphs myself, but they never realy give me the right feeling.

Falling parts is kindof part of the KTM signum. On my first test ride I had to turn back after 5 minutes when one of the mirrors unscrewed itself and almost fell off. I guess some Loctite would fix that .. Otherwise KTM's are good fun, unless you want the crazy rocket feeling you get from a 1000 cc R4 sports bike

I see the FZ1 as being the odd man out on your list. It's a street bike, where as the other two are "adventure" bikes.

I've never been a fan of an "all-around" anything as it doesn't do anything excellent, but does anything, "okay."

For the adventure thing how about big, giant thumper, 600cc+?

Of the bikes you've got listed I'd take the KTM, put on an exhaust, a Power Commander with a custom tune and enjoy the hell out of it. That motor is a sweet mill.

For adventure riding I'd get a big ass Honda 650 and put on a big ass fuel tank and go ride.

I see the FZ1 as being the odd man out on your list. It's a street bike, where as the other two are "adventure" bikes.

I've never been a fan of an "all-around" anything as it doesn't do anything excellent, but does anything, "okay."

For the adventure thing how about big, giant thumper, 600cc+?

Of the bikes you've got listed I'd take the KTM, put on an exhaust, a Power Commander with a custom tune and enjoy the hell out of it. That motor is a sweet mill.

For adventure riding I'd get a big ass Honda 650 and put on a big ass fuel tank and go ride.
I sense hellgate likes big asses ;)

Back