FZ1 in NH down but coming back!

Sounds like they want to consider all options. I hope everything works out for you. That said the damage did not look that bad, if you would repair it yourself it would be pretty cheap so I would consider buying it back if they total it.

If I buy it back, I think it will be to part it out. I'd take all the undamaged mods off, put them on a new bike and then part out the rest of the bike on the forums first, then CL and ebay. Still waiting to hear back today to see what they've determined for damage and what the checks will be along with a buyback price if it is totaled. I hope to have news this evening on where this is going. I'm gutted with not being able to ride and tons of great weather here in NH.

Update: I'm repairing! No shopping or swapping mods over. I won't have the dollar figure until tomorrow but they are willing to replace the frame and all other parts without totaling the bike. I'm still curious about the list of parts they will present.

I have the option of a new frame OR a $500 appearance allowance with no frame, meaning they will waive the $250 deductible and give me $250 extra. Well, given the stress crack issues of past frames on the FZ1, I'm not taking a chance and having them write up a frame replacement and all other damage along with it.

I'll know tomorrow what the final deal is. I'm astounded that they would replace the frame, but happy none-the-less that I can straighten this bike out and at least ride it for now. w00t!!!

I've been away from the forum for a few weeks. I just read this. So sorry, but glad things are working out. I thought maybe you'd get a BMW S1000R, but your FZ1 is so sweet with mods, I might stick with it too. Here's to a speedy recovery for both you and your bike. Good luck with it all, and God bless.

Thanks guys!

I just called the adjuster and told him to write it up with a frame included. I explained that I'd never feel safe on the bike knowing there could be a micro-fracture somewhere that ends up catastrophic while knee-down in a corner.

I'm excited that I can start moving forward and not sit here wondering.

Troy, I'm very much OK. Army Strong... tucked, rolled and popped right up. Captain America style! Thanks!!!

Thanks guys!

I just called the adjuster and told him to write it up with a frame included. I explained that I'd never feel safe on the bike knowing there could be a micro-fracture somewhere that ends up catastrophic while knee-down in a corner.

I'm excited that I can start moving forward and not sit here wondering.

Troy, I'm very much OK. Army Strong... tucked, rolled and popped right up. Captain America style! Thanks!!!

I'm glad everything is going to be finished in short order. Time for the bike shopping thread!

I'm glad everything is going to be finished in short order. Time for the bike shopping thread!

Thanks Dustin! No shopping thread though. Back on post #63, I posted that they will be repairing my bike "including the frame" which is a shock to me but acceptable if they are willing. More to come as I'm already putting together my plan. ;)

Thanks Dustin! No shopping thread though. Back on post #63, I posted that they will be repairing my bike "including the frame" which is a shock to me but acceptable if they are willing. More to come as I'm already putting together my plan. ;)

Oh! Totally misunderstood. That's puzzling

Now you are cryptic! Inquisitive mind peaked. Do tell!

Can't just yet. This can go a couple of ways easily. I'm still waiting to hear back from the adjuster but he did TXT me and say he'd go over it in detail when he's ready. I have three optional plans based on the final decision and amount.

My issue with repairing the bike is the time. It will take a couple weeks at minimum to order and receive all the parts, then, if I'm not opening the Busted Knuckle Garage, I have to find a tech to do the frame swap. I'm looking now at the middle of Aug at the earliest if all goes well for repairing. That's not a lot of riding season left here in NH. My only hope is a miracle where parts are available and come quickly and I can knock it all out in a weekend. The service guys in this area are scheduling two weeks out AFTER I confirm I have all the parts. I'm sort of gutted with the thought of this.

On a side note, the other guy's insurance company contacted me today. They accept full responsibility and were asking about any medical claim. I've let them know that I'm still aching in a few places, especially my left arm/shoulder but have not gone to the Doc about it... I have several months to open any claim with them though.

Just hoping for the best and to be up on two ASAP. Lots of great weather coming and going and I'm stuck in a truck. :(

Well, this isn't going to be as smooth as I'd hoped. Progressive is not looking out for my best interests so I'm going to have my agent step in and go to bat for me. They still have the frame and labor on this list, however, they want to remove and "repair" the front cowl, Copperdog Speedscreen, OEM chin fairing, fuel tank and rear plastic/grab-bar. I've called the two local dealers and both stated they wouldn't ever write in repairs for a motorcycle, OEM replacement only. One of them stopped me and says "Wait, is this a Progressive Insurance claim?" That's when I knew the fun was beginning. They are covering the mods and gear as promised but outside of the frame, they don't want to actually replace much outside of small parts.....

For everyone, please review with your agent what coverage you have. Ask the agent about "LKQ" and "DRP" The agent will know what you're asking about.

More to come on this saga... but I'm going to talk to my agent about a change in policy, be it with or without Progressive.

FZ1inNH, and how does Progressive think they are going to "repair" those items? I'm sorry that you have to be going through this in the prime of your riding season. Sounds like you need to run South this fall!

Forgive me if this has been said already:

Are you able to just request it be a total loss? Take 3 fat cheques for the lot and move on

No, I can't. The ACV of the bike, according to them is over $9k without mods. If they total it, that have to pay me another $5,950.00 on top of that. If I'd listened to my wife and my own gut feeling instead of my agent, this would have been a total loss and paid out last Friday. I'd have removed all mods that weren't damaged, put back the stock parts and let them prepare the estimate. But my Agent said to leave the mods on, let them total the bike and I'd get two fat checks. Well, because they want to repair and not replace all those parts and that is what they are basing the estimate on, it lowers the dollar amount significantly thus negating a total loss.

Can I fix it? Yes. Can I fix it myself and pocket money? Yes. Is what they are proposing the right thing to do for their customer? No! The other party's insurance is claiming full responsibility so my insurance will get this claim back through subrogation, yet they want to pull the cheapskate card out. If it is too much of a battle, I've already sourced a Retro kit, can buy a frame, helmet and sliders, ride now and stow the frame for a winter build/remake. Or, remove my mods, sell this bike with full disclosure (they are not flagging the title as salvage.)

FZ1inNH, and how does Progressive think they are going to "repair" those items? I'm sorry that you have to be going through this in the prime of your riding season. Sounds like you need to run South this fall!

Thanks! I don't know. I just got off the phone with my agent who has requested a call with the adjuster so he can better understand how this estimate was prepared, the reasons behind repairing and how to repair plastic parts. One thing did not make sense... they have a total of $330 to repair the rear plastics/grab-bar? The MSRP replacement is only $312!?!? Sounds like I got the short-bus adjuster to write this up.

Very frustrating.....

Take a look at this: ADVrider

That IS nice! But that would be one heck of a ride back. ;) Thanks Lee.

I am weighing a bunch of options... I have a solid line on a new 2013 Cobalt Blue holdover... less than $8k OTD at the moment. I wonder what I could get for a 2009, slightly rashed, stock FZ1 that has a clean title.... ? Hmm.....

Back