FZ1 in NH down but coming back!

I'm still confused as to why the two cars were going in the opposite direction. Is there some other road where traffic goes the other way where these guys should have been?

I'm still confused as to why the two cars were going in the opposite direction. Is there some other road where traffic goes the other way where these guys should have been?

There's a side street to the right above this corner and neither driver saw the ONE-WAY arrow sign, only traffic in the right lane and assumed the empty left lane was "their" right lane to travel, so they pulled out. I met them as I rounded the corner. Now, when you ride these roads every day and you *know* it is a one-way, as a rider, you are *not* looking for oncoming traffic. It's a shock to round a corner and meet the grill of a car coming at you.

What I have learned from this is treat them like a deer... If you hit them it is their fault and insurance will believe you... if you dump your bike trying to avoid them now it is your accident.... I am glad you are ok and bikes are replaceable.

Well, in this case, I think I would buy it back and part it out.

I spoke with my agent who will work on my behalf. He says it is better to leave all the mods on and let them inspect and offer a claim number. If it is totaled, my coverage pays 100% retail cost for all mods up to $6k. This would be added to the ACV of the bike. Then, I would list the aftermarket parts I want to keep and ask them to sell them back to me at salvage cost which my agent says will be a much-reduced cost, thus I get to keep the good parts at a low cost AND the remaining money of their retail cost. I told him that I felt this was wrong in some way but he assured me that this is the best way to reclaim mods that are salvageable without losing money on the deal. For anyone else in this unfortunate situation, keep this in mind! It's 100% acceptable to wheel & deal with the adjuster!

Of course, this is ONLY if they total the bike and the only way that would likely happen is if they include the frame. Personally, I think the bike is fixable and safe to ride afterward but this isn't my decision. If this works out, I've found quite a few 2013 Cobalt Blue hold-overs that have zero miles for under $9k. I'll either end up with a fully repaired 2009 FZ1 which I absolutely love, or a 2013 zero mile bike with a bunch of mods ready to install. Some of the cosmetic stuff will never be put back on a new bike though. While the bike looks amazing with that stuff, it's a hassle to deal with when doing routine maintenance. The suspension and performance stuff will absolutely make the move!

I spoke with my agent who will work on my behalf. He says it is better to leave all the mods on and let them inspect and offer a claim number. If it is totaled, my coverage pays 100% retail cost for all mods up to $6k. This would be added to the ACV of the bike. Then, I would list the aftermarket parts I want to keep and ask them to sell them back to me at salvage cost which my agent says will be a much-reduced cost, thus I get to keep the good parts at a low cost AND the remaining money of their retail cost. I told him that I felt this was wrong in some way but he assured me that this is the best way to reclaim mods that are salvageable without losing money on the deal. For anyone else in this unfortunate situation, keep this in mind! It's 100% acceptable to wheel & deal with the adjuster!

Of course, this is ONLY if they total the bike and the only way that would likely happen is if they include the frame. Personally, I think the bike is fixable and safe to ride afterward but this isn't my decision. If this works out, I've found quite a few 2013 Cobalt Blue hold-overs that have zero miles for under $9k. I'll either end up with a fully repaired 2009 FZ1 which I absolutely love, or a 2013 zero mile bike with a bunch of mods ready to install. Some of the cosmetic stuff will never be put back on a new bike though. While the bike looks amazing with that stuff, it's a hassle to deal with when doing routine maintenance. The suspension and performance stuff will absolutely make the move!

LOL... so you won't be transferring your suspension to mine... how rude! Just kidding!

What I have learned from this is treat them like a deer... If you hit them it is their fault and insurance will believe you... if you dump your bike trying to avoid them now it is your accident.... I am glad you are ok and bikes are replaceable.

I do have the cop to thank for this... He told the kid to either get a ticket or write a statement saying he was in the wrong and caused me to dump the bike to avoid hitting him. The kid wrote the statement and my insurance company has that and I've given them subrogation rights to pursue the claim through his insurance for what ever they can get. When they do settle, I would then also get my $250 deductible reimbursed as well. ;) I'm glad the cop that came to the scene is also a 30+ year rider himself and was looking out for my best interests. If ticketing the kid and not getting a statement was the only option, I'd have been fighting an uphill battle, but my insurance is telling me, no worries, we'll get you taken care of quickly.

The adjuster is coming Friday afternoon. I'm doing the detailed inspection tonight to make sure all broken or cracked parts are identified.

I'm just REALLY bummed out without my bike. Riding season here in NH is already short enough and losing even a week or two hurts a lot. That's a weekend or two of no fun, no smile on my face arriving at work after a back-roads ride commute, no fuel savings because I now have to take the gas-hog.... just makes the days rather mundane and routine.

Damn, sorry Eric!

I had the same type of insurance (except only $3,000) for accessories, which I met with no problem on that silver ZZR. Fortunately, I had a GREAT adjuster show up who went to look at my coat, helmet, etc laying on my pickup tailgate 10' away and said "my back will be turned for 30 minutes, get off whatever you can". LOL, the wrenches were FLYING trust me. So, I was paid $3400 for the totaled bike, and the $3000.00 for accessories, plus removed all the aftermarket stuff I had just installed the few weeks prior to my wreck (other than the brand new PR4's obviously) He also let me keep my helmet, jacket, and gloves because they were covered in deer shit and didn't want them in his car. :)

Damn, sorry Eric!

I had the same type of insurance (except only $3,000) for accessories, which I met with no problem on that silver ZZR. Fortunately, I had a GREAT adjuster show up who went to look at my coat, helmet, etc laying on my pickup tailgate 10' away and said "my back will be turned for 30 minutes, get off whatever you can". LOL, the wrenches were FLYING trust me. So, I was paid $3400 for the totaled bike, and the $3000.00 for accessories, plus removed all the aftermarket stuff I had just installed the few weeks prior to my wreck (other than the brand new PR4's obviously) He also let me keep my helmet, jacket, and gloves because they were covered in deer shit and didn't want them in his car. :)

Damn! I pray I can get more than 30 minutes! It would take most of that to get the shock, PCV, stacks and ECU out! I'll be sure to fill you all in on what takes place. I'm either repairing or shopping this weekend. ;)

Oh man, just seeing this and getting to reply. Glad you're ok and hope all works out well. I've never bought off on the whole "well if the cars didn't touch it's not their fault" stuff... a driver can easily drive us off the road without ever touching us... Best of luck and sounds like you are going to get taken care of.

I (almost) wish this thread had been in my reading list when I crashed mine. Crashing my '08 was the first accident I'd ever been in, so I didn't even think about negotiating with the adjuster. As it was, I went just over my $3000 accessory coverage, plus the value of the bike. My situation was a little different since the bike was 400 miles from home, and I was another 200 miles away from it (long story). I didn't do too badly, but would have liked to have kept a few things that were easily removable (Fuze block, tank bag) had I known I could barter.

In any case, good to hear you are okay, and I hope that tomorrow's appointment with the adjuster goes in your favor.

Thanks guys... I just went and looked again. I also sent a high-res pic to the service guy at the dealer who, based on the pic and his opinion, there's no way they are going to repair this bike. I'm both sad and glad to hear it... me and this bike have had the longest riding history together out of all the bikes I've owned. Bitter-sweet but I'm sure a new one will cheer me up. I have found several 2013 Cobalt Blue hold-overs and would start calling immediately after being told she's toast.

I'll let you know how it goes.... based on further inspection, the front is tweaked in some way because the bars don't touch the CD screen a full lock to the left but move the screen at full lock to the right. The tank cowl? narrow gap on the left and wide gap on the right with the lower corner pushed out... not sure what's twisted to cause that.

It happened so quick and my mind was clouded with anger at these kids (found out the driver is only 17 in Dad's car and on a probationary license) that I didn't replay and focus on what happened. Maybe it was a harder off than I envisioned. I know my body felt it the next couple days. Other than sore upper arms, I'm very much OK today. I can still review in my head though, the scene as it happened and still cannot find an exit which makes me mad that I put myself into that situation. Re-evaluating routes home and city driving...

My advise.... stay off one-way streets, especially those with sharp corners!

Adjuster is done. The lady I spoke with on the phone asked me to provide him with a list of mods on the bike. I gave them a spreadsheet with the mod, retail price and a web-link to research it with. He was grateful for that.

But, he's not able to tell me anything today. They will be contacting me Monday but he says it is very highly likely they will be writing for a total loss. They will cut two checks, one being ACV for the bike minus my deductible of $250 (That will be reimbursed to me once the other insurance pays out) and then a check for the mods. $5,962.00 in mods and I'm covered up to $6,000 at 100% retail value. They will then offer me a buyback price to accept or decline. They said the buyback will be on the motorcycle, the mod money is mine regardless. So, we'll see if the price is right to keep it and salvage what I can. Or, take the money, buy another one and begin the modding again. I don't think I'd go with hardly any of the cosmetic stuff ever again.

The part that sucks is I *STILL* cannot shop for a new bike yet. And I still cannot ride in the best part of the season. ARGH!!!!!! Damn those kids!

If I don't take the buyback, maybe it's Tuono time? FJR time? Who knows....

Well, thats good......at least your getting somewhere. I was pleasantly surprised when the adjuster printed out my two checks in his vehicle 5 minutes after looking at the bike (Progressive). He had a laptop connected to a printer in his back seat!

Well, thats good......at least your getting somewhere. I was pleasantly surprised when the adjuster printed out my two checks in his vehicle 5 minutes after looking at the bike (Progressive). He had a laptop connected to a printer in his back seat!

I have progressive and they didn't print anything. They did with my wife's claim, but not this one.

I have progressive and they didn't print anything. They did with my wife's claim, but not this one.

Sounds like they want to consider all options. I hope everything works out for you. That said the damage did not look that bad, if you would repair it yourself it would be pretty cheap so I would consider buying it back if they total it.

Back