Fz1 handlebar vibration bad?

Are the vibs that bad through the handlebars. Before I go plopping down money on an FZ1 I just thought I'd ask. I ride 70 miles to get to work. I don't really want numb hands everytime I ride. It's an 08 that I'm looking at. Anybody have a Honda Interceptor? Are they smoother than the FZ1?

My '09 has no vibrations at all. Some complain while others don't have an issue. I can say that I *never* put weight on my wrists while riding. Elbows always bent slightly and arms are able to flap. A lot of the riders I've met with numbness issues lock their elbows and ride stiff-armed with their weight on their wrists.

Just my observations. ;) No problem here! :D

Yea, vibes are not an issue for me either. You can always swap out the stock grips for some gel ones (cheap enough) or install heavier bar ends. Can also try something like the bar snake product to fill the bar with a vibration dampening product.

I sometimes have a little discomfort after a long ride but I can't help but ride "straight armed". With my straight bars and the arm span of a "little person" ( being politically correct), I have no choice. Look for some heavier bar end weights. They aren't real expensive and can relieve some of the vibrations. You can also try filling the bars with buckshot as well. I think Dustin has done that mod with good results.

Are the vibs that bad through the handlebars. Before I go plopping down money on an FZ1 I just thought I'd ask. I ride 70 miles to get to work. I don't really want numb hands everytime I ride. It's an 08 that I'm looking at. Anybody have a Honda Interceptor? Are they smoother than the FZ1?

I have an 08 FZ and have no vibrations at all. Can ride all day in comfort. Maybe if people have vibrations they might just need a wheel balance. Worth a look i reckon.

I am one of the ones that does go numb. My ride to work is about 25 miles each way. By mile 12 my hands would be so numb they lost all sensation. I always ride with good mechanics. Elbows bent no weight on my wrists. My legs do all the work. Then again I had surgery for CTS over a decade ago and that may be my problem as I have the same problem no matter what bike I ride.

I have made adjustments that help. My hands no longer go totally numb. Just "comfortably numb". ;) I never totally loose sensation anymore.

It also seems that the more time I spend on the bike the more those tolerances increase.

I never felt any "vibration" in my "08" bars. Maybe just a hint of buzzyness after a long time in the saddle but regular gloves would mask that. In fact, the only bikes I've had that had vibration that bothered me were my 1982 750 Kaw and my 2004 Superglide. Those things had VIBRATION!

You may want to look at this nice thread that Haileyan wrote....I am considering doing this myself:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/how-tos/7068-lead-weights.html

Other ideas that have been posted are reducing tire pressure a small amount or getting tires that are softer. I personally have a hard time putting new tires on when I have so much tread left on the orginal tires I have (I have a 2008 with only 2900 miles). You can also getting your front tire balanced. Members have also responded that gel grips helped but others say they did not help. The last suggestion I can recall of the top of my head is to get your throttle bodies synced.

I felt some buzz when my bike was new. Much of it goes away with running-in. Mine did. There is some buzz inherent to an inline four without counter balancers - but I've not had a bike yet that didn't have some mechanical feedback associated with the engine. That's one of the reasons we love these things, right...? I don't remember my VFR being any more comfortable. You'll be fine... :)

A few things.... First a gen II FZ1 has rubber mounted bars so beyond the sewing machine smoothness there are no vibes at all. My hands are very susceptible to vibes and went back to stock grips it's so smooth so you need to look at other issues contributing to your discomfort. The FZ1 kicks the crap out of an overweight under powered viffer any day of the week even in the rain so if I were you I'd concentrate on fixing a most likely minor issue. Sorry to be blunt but I'd rather have you fix the root cause and not change bikes for something minor. This is is what I recommend...

1) Get your front tire balanced and/or checked wherever you get your tires done. if your local stealership does your tires then take it in there an tell them you're feeling vibes from the front end so you need the tire checked/balanced. They can also check your wheel bearings at the same time to save time. An '08 should be fine bearing-wise but as I know personally you can get a factory defect part. (I have an '08 as well) You could also have them check your steering head bearing as well or you can...it takes 2 seconds to shake it. Don't let them BS you...get them to do it and if that doesn't pan out got to step 2.

2) When did you last get your t-bodies synched ? If never then do it...if the stealership supposedly did it have them check it again. If you get them synched and the vibes continue go on to step 3).

3) If everything above checks out swap out your grips for more cushy ones. Supposedly the BMW ribbed comfort grips are like warm butter but there are tons of choices out there. Grips are like oil and tires....it's a personal thing so it's hard to tell you what to get without you feeling someone elses on a bike or going to a shop and checking a few out.

If none of this works you've git bigger issues...like a bent or cracked frame so the dealer is your only recourse. One of these things should hook you up though in all seriousness. I have an '08 and it's smooth as silk...so don't dump a rockin' ride for some maintenance issue. I've also had a few gens of VFR's and although really good bikes the fizzy kicks their asses hands down...just my opinion. Thanks for listening....hopefully this info will help you enjoy your fizzy more.

Um, I have to disagree, some vibration is normal. I've done all of the above, as have many members here, and it stays. Only at certain RPMs of course, and not enough in my opinion to put your hands to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No real vibration but I do find my right wrist tends to numb up because of having to keep the throttle open, but solved that by using a Cramp Buster.

07 FZ1 here. No problems with that at all. After 8 hours of riding, my tail end gets a little sore, but the handle bar is not vibrating excessively at any speeds. Also maybe check that you have good fitting gloves. And as mentioned, your body position contributes immensely to how the ride will treat you.

I say ride the bikes you are looking at first to compare. That is a good test. Each may be different when you are on it...

IT is by no means electric bike smooth, but anybody that has issues is out of tune or has an individual problem. The bike feels like a hotrod, but nothing overbearing.

IT is by no means electric bike smooth, but anybody that has issues is out of tune or has an individual problem. The bike feels like a hotrod, but nothing overbearing.

I agree with you...I have never had issues with vibrations. I mean my hands will get tired after a few hours on the road, but I have never had a bike where that wasn't the issue.

Back