fz1 2006 troubleshoot

m4tte

Hello all,

i am new to the website. I own a FZ1 2006 bougth on october 2013. The bike had 5000 miles on it and i have been riding since for an additional 2000 miles. I commute to work and i ride it during the weekends.

The bike is in extremely good condition and never took rain, i always cover and take care of it. The previous owner modded the bike with a Power commander, a fuel injection module and a FCE, air intake mod and it runs with a BM air filter.

At the beginning of december the bike started to randomly stall. Sometimes it was stalling after 15 miles, sometimes it would stall after 60 miles, sometimes it wouldnt.

After 20 days the problem intensified slightly and the engine light was sometimes on, sometimes off, so i decided to troubleshoot the bike. I checked for any kinks, bad connections, bad sensors , but didnt find anything so i took it to a dealer, explained the situation and they basically just did what i did: Run the bike in diagnostic mode, check the lines, clear the error memory and drive it.

Now the bike doesnt report any error if i run in diagnostic mode, but it still randomly stalls, simply turns itself off if i am at a traffic light or feels like there is no fuel being injected if i ride it, it sputters and, if i use the clutch it simply goes down to idle and shuts down. Sometimes the bike restarts immediately after i turn the ignition, sometimes i restart the bike and if i give gas it stays on but than it shuts down if i let the gas on idle. After a couple of attempts the engine light usually turns on and i can start and ride the bike just fine with no sign of malfunctions.

I thought about syncing the throttle bodies and change the spark plugs or the ignition coil but if that would be the cause of the problem i dont see how the bike would run just fine with the engine light on.

Any ideas what could be the root of this issue? What could cause such an odd behaviour, or how to troubleshoot?​

Thanks for your help and time,
Matte

The CEL is likely from the FCE. I had the FCE and when it's cold outside, I always had the CEL with a lumpy idle. Once the bike reach ~170 degrees, I could turn it off with the key and then restart it without the CEL light and it ran correctly.

Have you tried any fuel treatments yet?

i'd start by removing modifications before going over the rest, like the fce, pc etc, see how it runs then and if it still persists, going into more in depth stuff

Have seen something very similar . My money is on your Power Commander.
Unplug that bad boy and go for a check-out ride.:flash:

Thanks for the advices, everything seems in order so i will unplug the power commander and i will try to give it a ride. Would you try to flash and load a new map on the power commander before testing the bike without it?

matte

I'd take a REAL close look at the FCE connections. Try removing the power commander and if the issue continues remove the FCE.

Double check the fuel line for a kink. The line has a sheath ( double walled ) and a kink can be hidden. Search fuel line mod for more info.

Check the vent line for the tank too, if the stalling rough running starts to happen try opening the fuel cap with the bike running ( that will show if its a vent issue )

If your servo motor is starting to fail or binding. The flies ( secondary throttle butterflies ) wont open and cause the bike to stall.

Many people have had issues with loose electrical connections and have recommended unplugging ALL the connectors you can find on the bike.
Make sure you have good clean connections . Some recommend a little WD40 or dielectric grease on the connections . A VERY SMALL DAB of dielectric grease.

I've seen a few people recommend electrical conductive grease but I think thats a BAD choice because it can carry current through the grease to another pin ( bad bad bad )
Dielectric grease is NON conductive so you dont have to worry about that.
just use a very small amount to keep water out and stop corrosion.

Start with the power commander and FCE I'd suspect one of the two is your issue. Keep us posted and if you still have issues we can start working down the list of possibilities.

Good luck !

I troubleshooted the problem by checking the connections and i found an open wire connected to the FCE but that didnt do the trick. Second step was to disconnect the power commander and the injection module of dynojet and i went for a test ride.

Bike seems to be ok and did not show any of the previously described symptoms. Now, i am not sure which one of the two, the power commander or the injection module, was causing the issue as i disconnected both of them.

For the time being i will ride the bike this way and if i find a time on a day off i will try to troubleshoot both of the dynojet aftermarket modules.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I ll keep you updated.

Back