Full Leather suits: 1 piece, 2 piece

I've read a few threads where people talk about leathers, but wanted to pose this directly...

Who wears leathers for street riding? Reasons for yeah or neh?

Last edited:
I am looking pretty hard at some Alpinestars 2-piece leathers. I have textile jacket and a couple different riding pants that have some protection...but I'm leaning toward going all the way with leathers.

I don't necessarily care if I sweat if it is the best protection. That's really what I'm looking for. The best protection.

I don't wear leathers but would buy them if I planned on tracking. I wear textiles for the street. Mesh jacket and pants for the hot days and fully insulated ones for the cold days. Being in TX you will likely want to look into perforated leathers for the street and when you are moving, they will keep you somewhat cool. :D

I have a perforated leather Fieldsheer jacket with full armor that is pretty comfortable in hot weather as long as you're moving. I do wear my mesh jacket more than anything, but leather will give you the best protection, especially when combined with CE approved armor.

Yah, that's another thing. I'm thinking full leathers, 2-piece. But not decided if perforated or not. I suppose they still have same protection? The GP pro leathers come in perforated & non in jacket. That's pretty much the brand I'll probably get. They seem to have the quality and sizes that will accomodate me. I tried on a Shift 1-piece and it was just too tight. Nothing bigger.

Yah, that's another thing. I'm thinking full leathers, 2-piece. But not decided if perforated or not. I suppose they still have same protection? The GP pro leathers come in perforated & non in jacket. That's pretty much the brand I'll probably get. They seem to have the quality and sizes that will accomodate me. I tried on a Shift 1-piece and it was just too tight. Nothing bigger.

Well a two piece is definitely easier to live with on the street. Just make sure that the jacket and pants can zip together, preferably all the way around. I think perforated leather still offers just about the same protection as ther non-perforated one. I would suggest you go that route so they will be easier to live with in the Texas heat.

I have a perforated leather Fieldsheer jacket with full armor that is pretty comfortable in hot weather as long as you're moving. I do wear my mesh jacket more than anything, but leather will give you the best protection, especially when combined with CE approved armor.

That is what I was thinking. Even if I sweat a little bit. Hell, I always sweat anyway. Regardless the clothing.

So what percentage of the time are we talking wearing the full leathers, perforated or not? I can't ever see changing to avoid being "un-cool" with those tour riders wearing baggy adventure style gear... When it diminishes the protective factor gainded from leather--if it is significantly better than textile that is...

I guess I'm still trying to decide this in my head...

Heat be damned. Leathers all the way unless you are commuting daily. Even then, get leathers! A two-piece is the way to go unless it's just for the track.

I use two-piece leathers for social rides or pleasure rides and for track. I used to daily ride in them too but found a great deal on an Aerostich one-piece so I use that for trips to work and the shops now. Even though it's considered the holy grail of textile gear, I question how it will fair compared to my leathers. No textile will provide the same level of protection as leathers but it's a game of compromises when you're slogging around every day on a bike.

Leathers all the way

Last edited:
I think that is what I'm wanting to hear......something to convince me to shell out for the Alpinestars and not think about buyers remorse

(when I was looking online, my wife said she thought maybe it was "not necessary". I quickly shut those thoughts down. She got the polite heads up, but she knows I will do the deal if it is better protection.)

I would have also considerd Dainese (sp?), but couldn't find a vendor with sizes that fit....and I have physcially touched A, Joe rocket, shift, S & S,

I have both a 2pc textile setup and a leather for the street. I prefer the two pc design for street riding for various reason, having to relieve ones self being the most important. 80% of my time riding I have one or the other on. the other 20% one of the jackets and jeans. I feel naked not wearing riding pants as odd as that sounds. I've meet the ground a couple of times in my past and I know what can happen so now I eliminate as much of the danger as possible.

Just make sure you try on leathers before buying them. All the companies build them differently and it can be tough to find the correct snug fitting leathers. The last thing you want is for leathers to be loose-fitting. If there are local shops to try them on, go do it and then decide if you want to purchase them there of find them on the net.

I have a Alpinestar GP pro 2 piece suit, Its a great suit for carving through the hills but no good for the daily commute. For weekend riding I can highly recommend it but you got to get the boots and gloves too, no point spending big on the suit and not protecting your feet and hands.

For my daily commute I have a mesh jacket for summer and a nice warm leather jacket for winter

Speaking of Full 2-piece leathers

I have this new, jet black, 2-piece leather suit (size 48) in the closet, complete with the YAMAHA logo layout. Alas, it is too small for me now. I have never had it out of the house. Only tried it on. Bought on ebay last year and can't return it. Now it seems I am about 20 pounds to heavy and can't squeeze into it. It is BRAND spankin' new !! Tags still on it. It would fit someone about 5'-11"-ish, and 170 to 190-ish. See pics. Paid $300. I would sell it for 175.00 shipped (Insured) to the CONUS.

For street leathers look into 2 piece.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that 2 piece is a little longer in the torso vs. a 1 piece.

Also, correct fit on a 1 piece is a nUt grabber when you stand up. 1 piece leathers are cut for on bike, sport position.

For street buy one size too big so you can put on long-johns, etc. For track you want skin-tight.

As Eric said get perf; front and back for TX. If you get only front there is no place for the air to go out the back. My Dainese are only perf on the front and even at 150 there is not enough air flow in the summer.

I've had four set of full leathers over the years. My current Dainese are the best, and nicest by far. The leather is soft, the fit is outstanding, and the armor is simply first rate.

Check out MotoLiberty in SA. They have tons of leathers in stock and can help guide you to the right set for you.

Or...look into custom sets. The prices are really pretty reasonable.

Moto Liberty // #1 gear Store In Texas

For street riding I personally wear textile. I have two sets; Rev'It for the blazing heat, and a nice set of Buell Adventures for the rest of the year. I plan to buy a set of heavier Rev'Its for the cooler weather.

Last edited:
I would have also considerd Dainese (sp?), but couldn't find a vendor with sizes that fit....and I have physcially touched A, Joe rocket, shift, S & S,

I got my custom leather sute at Spartanleathers.com. Paid $699 for a full suit custom made to my exact measurements with my color choices. You can get them in 2-pice also. I had problems finding anything of the rack that fit me. Anything that fit my waist was to long. Anything that fit my inseam was for anorexic men.

There is nothing like leathers made just for you. You might even want to sleep in them. I did!

Review:
Spartan Leathers Charge Race Suit - webBikeWorld

Just a few photos of my suit. You get to pick all the colors and have your call sign added for no extra,

5388d1298299138-spartan-leathers-dsc02644.jpg

5389d1298299138-spartan-leathers-dsc02647.jpg

5390d1298299138-spartan-leathers-dsc02650.jpg

Last edited:
I used to wear a two piece leather suit when I lived in Australia (custom made Tiger Angel), and I would recommend anyone who wants to get the best fit to have one made to your exact size. Most of the ready made ones are built for the European type frame, tall and lanky, and if you are not built like this you will have problems. Unless you are doing track work I would go for the two piece, zippered together suit as they are much more functional in daily use and you don't give up a lot of protection. Now I just wear a pair of perforated Joe Rocket leather pants and a perforated textile jacket with armor. Leather is best but in Texas a leather jacket in the summer is just too heavy.

Buy both , Either have their advantages and disadvantages , as long as you have elbow , shoulder , knee and thigh protection , your AOK for street riding.

I have a ratty old 1 piece for track days , a good leather jacket and $25 pvc throwover in my pack for summer . Textile jacket for winter , and textile pants that I use all year round ,reasonably light weight, but with knee and thigh pads.

The pants are great , easy to throwover whatever im wearing , and not too hot in summer , and waterproof in winter and reasonably warm when its cold.

Heat be damned. Leathers all the way unless you are commuting daily. Even then, get leathers!

Leathers all the way

I extend all due respect but what works in Vancouver, Burnaby, New West, Delta, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Richmond, White Rock, Aldergrove and Spuzzum is not necessarily applicable in Texas, in the summer, in the heat. You can add Chilliwack to the list also.

I, respectfully, defer to you on choices in rain gear.

Back