full fairing benifits

dcrpd

for those of you that have the full fairings for the gen II bike, does it offer any extra wind protection? i mean i have to justify other than looks to drop 800. and to top it off my 09 has a 2 tones effect, granite grey with a black front and tank cowl with the gold wheels lol.

The full plastic work on an FZ1 is more for the looks than it is for full body protecton. It's not like you are going to change it from a Naked to a Goldwing level of protection but you will make it more work to do normal maintenance. I did just the reverse on my last full-faired bike, I ended up taking it down to the level of an FZ1 by eliminating the.lower fairing altogether. It also made it cooler to ride by opening up the radiator so the hot blast had more ways to go except right back into my legs.

I ride a full fairing fz1 of a friend and notice less wind in the legs, mostly at higher speeds and little more top end speed but in my opinion not such a difference that justifies the money, unless it´s a looks issue

I was hooked on wanting the full faring for about 8 months. It was like an infatuation. Thankfully I got over it. I realized I really like looking at the engine. (I think it's a man thing) Then I realized how expensive those plastic parts are to replace. (Lots more than a slider) So....I bought a chin spoiler. It gives the bike a finished look w/o the expense of a full faring. (I paid around $350 shipped for the OEM Chin Spoiler).

Lower Fairing

I personally found that they would provide a slight amount of added wind protection on the legs. My main complaint was the heat coming up through the seat. They definitely trap the heat a bit. I have my set that has some minor scratches. They are shift red so you would have to have them painted. I live in Indianapolis and don't really want to ship them, but if you want to come pick them up and have them painted, you can take them for $250. I modified some carbon fiber frame sliders to fit flush on the brackets and rigged some flush turn signals to work with them. That will all go with them as well. Let me know.

I only rode mine for about an hour before I installed the lowers so I can't answer on any wind protection questions. It was really an appearance thing for me. Not to mention it is far easier to keep the fairings clean compared to an engine.

IMO,if you want a fairing,get a sportbike as they look the tits.If ya want something comfy,get a naked and a neck muscle.lol

Im leaving now hehe

I think it makes the bike better on looks I have also used the bike without and found the windblast was lifting my knees away from the tank so put the fairing back on a little bit more protection from the rain too.

Personally I think the Fazer looks better without the full fairing.

But that's just me.

I think it makes the bike better on looks I have also used the bike without and found the windblast was lifting my knees away from the tank so put the fairing back on a little bit more protection from the rain too.

Well obviously people have different opinions as to the looks of the full fairings and that's ok. It's a good thing that Yamaha didn't make them standard so you can add them if you wish to or leave the bike naked. I happen to like them...

Pros: Increased wind protection and better high-speed stability.

Cons: More trapped heat thus makes riding in Summer weather, especially stop-n-go traffic a little hotter.

Definitely personal choice. My FZ1 is without them but my wife's FZ1 has them because she hates the naked look. She does say that the bike is hotter to ride both on the legs and under the seat. But she prefers the look and wanted the bike fully faired and got what she wanted.

They do offer the protection that Tony outlined to some extent so they are of benefit in a few ways.

What I REALLY hate about them is how difficult it makes bike maintenance. The only real issue is getting the signals put back on... What a PITA!!! Secret to this operation Tony? Getting them off is easy... Right now her bike is apart with more work to be done before spring.

What I REALLY hate about them is how difficult it makes bike maintenance. The only real issue is getting the signals put back on... What a PITA!!! Secret to this operation Tony? Getting them off is easy... Right now her bike is apart with more work to be done before spring.

I didn't find the signals to be that difficult to put back on, but as you said it does make a simple oil change at least an hour ordeal now :(

It does block the wind a little more with them on but as mentioned before it seems to re direct the heat to your legs and rear. They do have to be removed just to do a simple oil change also. I believe our bikes are the same color, so here's with and without :)

I didn't find the signals to be that difficult to put back on, but as you said it does make a simple oil change at least an hour ordeal now :(

Come on over and give me a hand the the 990 (and bring a friend), and you'll never complain about the FZ again. With another two guys I should be able to get the oil change down to a hour.;)

Back