Fuel Consumption

2005, 24K miles.
I've been riding this bike for more than 2000 miles (in less than 3 months).

My best tank so far, 49mpg, riding 55~60mph through the finger lakes region in upstate NY, with 2 up.
My worst tank, 40.5mpg, riding 75~80 mph, 2 up, with 2 hard bags and trunk between Corning, NY and Erie, PA, which is highway with some mountains.
Average around 45mpg. I guess gen's I are more fuel efficient, and with 5.5 gal tanks, 200 miles between fuel refills is piece of cake!

I get about 40 mpg on mine, which is about 140 miles when the f trip comes on. The best i did was on a long trip doing about 50 mph, it took 155 miles for the f trip which is about 45 mpg.

I get about 40 mpg on mine, which is about 140 miles when the f trip comes on. The best i did was on a long trip doing about 50 mph, it took 155 miles for the f trip which is about 45 mpg.

40 MPG is about average for the Gen II bikes. The best I have ever gotten has been around 42 MPG, but then again I really don't ride it trying to get the best mileage if you know what I mean. I just wish our tanks were as big as the Gen I bikes :(

JHAP - I'm looking for a used '05. How do you like it? I tried the FZ6 and while nice I think I want the power of the FZ1. Have you had any maintenance issues with the carbs etc.

The bike will be only as good as the person who took care of it. If it looks like it has been beat on -- chances our it has. You can also tell by checking the nooks/cranies if there are tell tale signs of just a sprucing up prior to selling.

The bike, IMHO, has been rock solid and any "issues" I've had were do to my part and not from Yamaha. Maintenance issue has only been limited to oiling chain and L.O.F., Gas it up and ride.

Good luck with your search for a Gen I -- you ought to be able to find a good deal for a clean bike -- and have money left over to add some accessories....just don't go chroming alot of the bike as you try to pass it off as the roadstar amongst your friends...but if you do land one -- don't let them ride it or be prepared to see it (for a premium) and search for another...

Adam

Back