Front Wheel troubleshoot

So I followed directions as best I was able in the wheel removal thread, proceeded with new front tire install, had a little trouble with the reinstall, had to slip the calibers over the rotors before inserting axle, they would not clear the mounts otherwise, then when I bolted things back in had a locked up front wheel and spongey front brake lever, help!

So I followed directions as best I was able in the wheel removal thread, proceeded with new front tire install, had a little trouble with the reinstall, had to slip the calibers over the rotors before inserting axle, they would not clear the mounts otherwise, then when I bolted things back in had a locked up front wheel and spongey front brake lever, help!

Morning Walter. You shouldn't have to install the brake calipers before having the axle installed. When removing the wheel, the brake calipers are the first thing that I remove. I use a heavy gauge wire to hang them up and out of the way. Then I loosen the pinch bolt followed by the axle. Re-installation is exact opposite which leaves the calipers for very last. The trick is to go slow and make sure that you press the caliper pistons into the caliper first which gives you the room needed to install it over the rotor with the brake pads. Once I have the calipers off I use a flat piece of wood about the thickness of the brake rotor to put in between the two brake pads and gently push the pistons into their bores. Use the wood so you don't damage the brake pads. You'll see that you have plenty of room then to place the caliper onto the rotor with the wheel in place, axle and all. Trick is to go slow.

problem solved

Thanks for the tips, apparently my brain wasn't functioning properly, and there is a minute amount of offset on the front rim, so if you try to install it backwards you encounter all kinds of issues. I have always done minor maintenance on my bikes but have been forced to get into then more and more since I moved into the middle of nowhere and am 2 hours from the nearest dealer. Long story short I am learning and this was just a brain fart. I just need to do more double checking.

Back