From a V-Twin to a 03 FZ1

Seattle_superhwk

Hello all
So last week i got my first FZ1, so far i love it. I gave up my 02 superhawk with the worry i made a mistake. Well after that first ride on my FZ, ALL worries were suppressed !! I do have few tweaks to make as I am a large fella, 6'2" 285lbs of pure sexiness :blowing_kisses:. So I'am looking to upgrade the front fork springs and valving plus look into mods for the rear. Also a new windscreen is in order. So with that said HELLO fellow FZ owners. My name is Bill and i live here in the great NW, Everett WA

Welcome, first mod I would recommend is to go +2 in the back to help the Fizzer move some of that big sexiness a little bit quicker...of course the Hawk had no probs getting up and going, but us Clydesdales need all the help we can get.:rofl:

+2 isn't that bad on the highway either.

Welcome Bill !!
Let the mods begin. . . .
and, I sugest going down 1 tooth in the front and up 1 or 2 in the rear. Makes the bike perform MUCH better ! There are several threads to these changes. Makes for some great reading . . . :smoking:

Welcome! I also have a 2002 FZ1 same color scheme, though my frame is silver yours is black, I really like that black frame, looks good!

:welcome: Bill and congrats! Take a look into converting to R1 USD forks before going down the path of upgrading the stock forks. As for the rear, I'd recommend a call to Lee at Traxxion Dynamics to set you up with a Penske. I just installed mine. All set up and sprung for my weight and riding. I got the 8983 with remote reservoir so it is dual adjustable and has pre-load and right height adjustments too.

Great looking ride!

Im new here and this will be my first post but I couldnt resist. I'm about to do the very same thing as you! I've just sold my 2003 VTR 1000 and I'm currently on the lookout for an FZ1!

Go us...I guess!

Welcome! I too recently got my fz1 and while I've never ridden one with stock suspension, mine has ohlines ses kit , and a penske rear. It handles like a nothing ive ridden. It's great.

Keeping Preload

Welcome! I too recently got my fz1 and while I've never ridden one with stock suspension, mine has ohlines ses kit , and a penske rear. It handles like a nothing ive ridden. It's great.

Has anyone ever left the front and back suspension set on the heaviest settings (as if two folks are on it traveling)? My wife rarely goes on my 08, but what is the ride like if I adjust it for two folks (230 lbs and 135 lbs) and left it that way when I ride it alone (95% of the time).

Just curious. :doh2:

I think that can be said for any bike with that kind of badass suspension upgrade :D

How much did you score that bike for with those bits already installed?

Has anyone ever left the front and back suspension set on the heaviest settings (as if two folks are on it traveling)? My wife rarely goes on my 08, but what is the ride like if I adjust it for two folks (230 lbs and 135 lbs) and left it that way when I ride it alone (95% of the time).

Just curious. :doh2:

It's important to set the preload correctly for your weight because it keeps the suspension operating in the optimal range (in the middle). This is best for handling and bump compliance and keeps the bike working in the sweet spot.

Back