Free FE Kit, you provide the labor.

"Mini" plates are aftermarket plates you can get in any size you want.

My metal bracket was shortened 10cm to be precise. I put the overlaps together with the top edges aligned to keep the angle of the whole thing as before.

One thing I use to check is that an imaginary line, from the rear edge of the tire and through the rear edge of the plate/fender, should fall behind the rear light and tail of the bike. Otherwise you get road dirt sprayed on the rear of the bike which is not so nice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great pics, today I bid and won a gray 09 FZ1 with 1,800 miles, its in Tennessee, wont pick it up until April, I have Yamaha dealer picking it up for me and holding it, but the fender will be the first mod probably.

Did the mod, thanks for the tips. Looks much better.:woot:
fendermodll001.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, looks better and still gives you some protection in the rain. On the FZ1 you'll definitely end up getting splashed by the rear tire if you ride in the rain with an FE kit...don't ask how I know :cuss:

The tail light is a motodynamic with built-in turn signals, so I don't have any plans for putting the stock rear signals back on. The holes are great points for hooking my bungie net. I also considered putting some red reflectors over the holes since I'm not re-using the rectangular ones that are part of the stock assembly.

I have Proton flush-mount signals in the front, and they would probably fit perfectly in those holes too, so I considered getting another pair for the rear.

Basically, that's one giant "I don't know." Suggestions are welcome!

The tail light is a motodynamic with built-in turn signals, so I don't have any plans for putting the stock rear signals back on. The holes are great points for hooking my bungie net. I also considered putting some red reflectors over the holes since I'm not re-using the rectangular ones that are part of the stock assembly.

I have Proton flush-mount signals in the front, and they would probably fit perfectly in those holes too, so I considered getting another pair for the rear.

Basically, that's one giant "I don't know." Suggestions are welcome!

Be hard to find a reflector to cover all the holes, might try some DOT reflective tape, could cut it to any shape and just stick it on the end. If you want to try it i have some i can stick in an envelope and mail to you for free, or you can pick it up at any parts house, walmart may have some around the trailer wiring.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I can't see any of FZ1inNH's attached photos. It just takes me to a page that says, "The page you are looking for can't be found."

Any way I can view his process?

Back