Fourth Yamaha in the stable...

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Found a sweet deal on CL about 45 minutes away. 2000 Yamaha TT-R125. It is a good solid running bike but needs a lot of the maintenance TLC. Project will be under way later with a new build thread! :D I got this for Michele and I to be able to keep up with our granddaughter Bridgette on her TT-R50 once she is starting to get up in speed. More for Michele since it is perfect for her size. (I'll be on the hunt for a bigger one. ;) )

It will need front brakes, tubes for the tires, chain and sprockets, head bearings and other small items. It's a lot of small stuff, but it was important to find a solid frame and good running engine. She starts right up on the first kick... Test ride was short but good.

Time to research some parts!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

really fun little bike, a friend of mine got one for his gf, it's a good machine!

Yours is cleaner, mind to tell how much you paid for it ?

They're definitely nice bikes with good little motors, I have one for sale as we speak. My only problem with them is the lack of an oil filter, so make sure that you change the oil frequently.

Thanks! We got it for $700. We paid a little more than we really wanted to but the young lady selling was trying to get herself to Europe. Everyone responding to the ad was low-balling her big time! Probably could have got it for $600? Still, a solid running bike!

Billy, those numbers are the Maine Rec. Vehicle license required for off-road motorsports. We'll have to do the same here in NH. :(

I'm going to be ordering and repairing this is three stages. I'm doing the front first and just placed an order for head bearings, seals and covers.... front wheel bearings, seals and covers.... brake shoes and springs... fork bushings, seals and dust caps. That will complete stage one.

Later, stage two will be the rear wheel assembly and brakes including the swing-arm bushings. Stage three will be the chain and sprockets.

Along the way will be various cleaning, polishing and painting.

There are some parts I'll look to buy down the road because I'm fussy... The clutch lever was broken off about 1" and ground down to a rounded end. Replace! The rear fender has a crack in it. Replace! foot pegs have taken a beating and will be replaced. Shifter and rear brake lever have had a couple dings... eventually replace. Tires will do for now... some wear but still a lot of knobby left.

Going to be a fun project and yield some fun putting around with Bridgette. If Bridgette likes motorcycles and graduates off the 50, she will then move on to this 125.

Nice find Eric! Those things are pretty reliable so once you take care of the maintenance issues you'll have a pretty solid bike :tup:

Pete, the 230 would be nice! ;) We can be a TTR family. :tup:

Also going to use this to teach Bridgette's Mom, our daughter, how to ride a motorcycle. We'd like to pick up a street bike that I can commute on and she can ride on weekends with us. That Ninja 300 is lookin' "right smaaahhhtt!"

Could also motard/street the 125 (and 230)... found this:

motard_wheel_ttr125_02.jpg

Since the 125 is for Michele, what stage is the purple/gold paint happening? :cowboy:

I want to get back into the dirt too, but I just can't afford it for now. I'm still trying to get suspension for the FZ. I really want a WR250R (street legal version). Great for cheap commute too.
12_splash_wr250r_01_98YAM7T.jpg
2009-Yamaha-WR250Rc.jpg

The new Honda CRF250L has the same engine as the CBR250R. It lacks in suspension, but has FI and a decent engine for a reasonable price. Your daughter might like that for street and keeping up with the little one off road.
Honda-2.jpg

That Honda looks nice. It's about time they made a "full sized" 250 dual sport. The 230 sucks, is small, doesn't have FI, and the suspension on it is crap. That 250 looks much better.

I have an 09 WR250R and I like it a lot. Pulled it out of storage last week and it fired right up. Gotta love that.

All great bikes! :D I am also considering the new XT250 with EFI and Electric start. I'd also use this one for commuting to work since it more than doubles the MPG of the FZ1. ;)

2013-yamaha-xt250-finally-gets-fuel-injection-photo-gallery_9.jpg

I love my little XT 225....that thing is so l light and nimble. John nicknamed it my "little billy goat". I can't think of a better way to "play" with the family!

Last edited:
Dirty bikes are so much fun! I had a pair of Kawis for the back yard that I taught my daughter and her friends how to ride on... they were so much fun as well as being a wheelie machine to play on!

Got an email from Partshark... It will be 3 - 4 weeks before they have the order complete and ready to send. I'm in no hurry and given this is a 2000 bike, I expected some delays. Just happy they didn't tell me the parts were not available period! ;)

I have been wanting a dual sport for a while now, something I can take out to the desert with friends, but also use as a second bike when the FZ needs bigger maintenance done.

I had a new 1986 XT350 and loved it, but I can't figure out why they dropped it down to a 225 and 250. The 350 seemed like a sweet spot for that type of bike. The suspension will be soft and lacking on the Honda and the XT, but I think the Honda is the better bike in that pair. The Kawasaki still has carbs. The WR is the bike to have, but the price is excessive (you get what you pay for) and the seat height is very tall.

Of course, if you really want some off road capability, look at the KTM dual sports. I really want the 500! I need something to pull my fat butt. :chat:

I saw this video:

Middleweight Enduro Shootout - YouTube

And I really like the KTM 350EXC, seems like a sweet spot, small and light, but still enough power to get around without having to work the clutch all the time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure KTM makes that bike (street legal) in 350, 450 and 500. If I was a normal size and weight, I'd want the 350 or 450, but at over 300lbs, I'm leaning toward the 500. Problem is, the 500 lists for $10k. Not going to happen :( I sure do miss a dual-sport. The WR250R would be nice, but I think it's over $7k.

Eric, you may want to check out the XT250 and the CRF250L. I think they are simular price point. I know the XT is heavy and has a low seat height and very soft suspension. It might be decent for a 100-150lb person with no serious off roading. I think the CRF is a bit more off road capable and has better (not great) suspension. I know the CRF suspension is non-adjustable up front and I think only preload in the rear. I suspect the XT is the same, but Yamaha's site says rebound adjustment on the rear. The XT is also a 5 speed and the CRF is a 6 speed and the front fork is inverted. I think the Honda lists cheaper by a few $100 too. I'm a Yamaha biased guy, but I really think the XT is old tech and not a great bike right now, althought the added FI helps.

Back