First "Real" ride with the wife

Okay, we've done several "Around the town" type rides and today, the wife decided, she wanted to do my usual 300 mile weekend jaunt.

(This is the trip, minus the travel to the house and all the riding I do around Prescott)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...4336,-111.700745&spn=1.681527,3.56781&t=h&z=9

If you can zoom or look at terrain maps, they hill right before Yarnell and the hill right before Prescott are riders dreams. Great stuff.

She did better than expected. She took both hills slow, but gracefully. My buddy who rides with me every weekend took the front, wife in the middle, me in the back. I watched her lines and what she was doing in the corners (IE leaning or not and if she was hitting her brakes). There was no brakes in the corners but you can tell she still doesn't trust the bike. She is pretty spooked about getting it tilted, but in all, she enjoyed herself. She told us after getting to the top she feels she could have probably done it faster.

Though, there was one bad time on the whole trip. My buddy and I were pulling into some gravel/dirt to discuss a route and the wife pulled in with to little speed and washed the front tire, not able keep it up. She jumped away and the bike tipped over. No damage other than the reflector pod on the turn signal. No biggy. It beat her self esteem up more than the bike itself.

Anyhow, it was great getting out there and riding with the wife. Though I would have died for a Scala Teamset so we could have talked.

Okay, we've done several "Around the town" type rides and today, the wife decided, she wanted to do my usual 300 mile weekend jaunt.

(This is the trip, minus the travel to the house and all the riding I do around Prescott)
Goodyear, AZ to Prescott, AZ - Google Maps

If you can zoom or look at terrain maps, they hill right before Yarnell and the hill right before Prescott are riders dreams. Great stuff.

She did better than expected. She took both hills slow, but gracefully. My buddy who rides with me every weekend took the front, wife in the middle, me in the back. I watched her lines and what she was doing in the corners (IE leaning or not and if she was hitting her brakes). There was no brakes in the corners but you can tell she still doesn't trust the bike. She is pretty spooked about getting it tilted, but in all, she enjoyed herself. She told us after getting to the top she feels she could have probably done it faster.

Though, there was one bad time on the whole trip. My buddy and I were pulling into some gravel/dirt to discuss a route and the wife pulled in with to little speed and washed the front tire, not able keep it up. She jumped away and the bike tipped over. No damage other than the reflector pod on the turn signal. No biggy. It beat her self esteem up more than the bike itself.

Anyhow, it was great getting out there and riding with the wife. Though I would have died for a Scala Teamset so we could have talked.

You are so right with the intercom system. It is a valuable piece of equipment since your not sitting next to her. You could easily warn her of things she may not be looking for, such as the gravel. She will get better after putting on the miles for sure. Just reassure her that she did okay and that everyone drops the bike at one time or another.

Sorry guys, I have to disagree about the intercom thing....she already has a voice in her head (HER OWN) telling her what she should be doing, looking out for, etc....last thing she needs is her husband in there too!
But that's my :2cents:

Last edited:
I have to agree with the intercom.... My wife and I use the Scala Q2 multi-set and I've saved her can a few times. She often gets too complacent just following the leader and I have been able to warn her of danger ahead. Plus, we yammer on and on the whole time we ride. We've had some of the best talks ever with the headsets!

Glad the two of you got out finally!

Sorry guys, I have to disagree about the intercom thing....she already has a voices in her head (HER OWN) telling her what she should be doing, looking out for, etc....last thing she needs is her husband in there too!
But that's my :2cents:

I'n not saying that it should be a permanent fixture but only as a learning tool. Experienced riders know what to look for. A newbie driver with a car is much more different than a newbie rider on a bike. When my son was learning I felt so much more at rest knowing that I could steer him away from trouble that he just didn't see. Mostly due to the fact that they are concentrating much more than us just to operate the bike. Once you learn to ride, the bike's controls are secondary. It becomes second nature allowing us to concentrate on everything else around us. Once she learns, he could just remove the headset.

CA-36 over nighter

I think my wife enjoys the fact she can go on rides with me and not have to here me say anything..lol but I have to agree, I have had intercom on before and being aware of my surroundings is second nature to me. Didn't really distract me.

Ride Safe

Last edited:
That's a great route- I'm taking my girl on her first real ride on the Payson loop this weekend (well, we did Tortilla Flats last sunday, so that sorta counts as "first", but I digress...)

I considered some sort of chatterbox, but she prefers to follow so I just taught her that 3 taps of my brake lights means to be especially aware (besides the "foot out for debris" thing.

... besides, she'd just blab the whole time and wear the batteries out anyway.

Back