first gen engine swap...pics inside

oldschoolsdime92

Well I started in on the fz1 tonight. It has a kick in second gear. From what I have researched, thats typically the dogs, which also leads to a bent shift fork. So here we go. First the engine must come out. So far I have removed the tank, some of the air box, and started bagging and tagging all the parts. I didn't have a bunch of time tonight so I will post more pics as I go.

fz1.jpg

100_1310.jpg

100_1311.jpg

100_1313.jpg

100_1314.jpg

Last edited:
Way to go Brandt! I love these Build Threads. Go at it slow, follow the manual, and you'll be just fine. If you catch yourself in a snag during teardown someone is here to help you out. Good luck buddy!

Good luck. Second gear issues seems to be a Yamaha weakness, but it's usually due more to abuse than anything else. Looking forward to the pics of the rebuild :)

Cool, always enjoy an adventure. When a gear starts to jump out on you under acceleration the shifting forks take the brunt of the side load and will either be cracked or bent. Inspect the gear itself and replace the counter mating gear if you find anything. As well as replacing the shift fork. You should look at the shift ratcheting pawl as well making sure the second gear stop is solid and isn't boogered up.

Thanks guys. I actually have purchased a donor engine, so I won't miss any ride time, and I can fix the transmission bits and not miss any ride time, and also take my time to make sure its done right. I will probably end up doing a full rebuild on this engine since my bike will be on the road. I have a tendency to rush sometimes, and I don't want to rush this. Heres the pics from today..

Made big progress

429556_10151283911360650_598330649_23139483_1186105711_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I actually have purchased a donor engine, so I won't miss any ride time, and I can fix the transmission bits and not miss any ride time, and also take my time to make sure its done right. I will probably end up doing a full rebuild on this engine since my bike will be on the road. I have a tendency to rush sometimes, and I don't want to rush this.

Well in that case you should be back on the road in no time. Hey if you're going to open up the original engine to fix the trans you might as well go for the full rebuild since you'll have time to work on it ;)

Nj, thats my plan. As far as the donor, its got 7900 miles. I'll swap my carbs on( I have all the ivans mods done. I have to remove the air Injection on the new engine, but aside from that I should be riding soon.

Nj, thats my plan. As far as the donor, its got 7900 miles. I'll swap my carbs on( I have all the ivans mods done. I have to remove the air Injection on the new engine, but aside from that I should be riding soon.

Well you got yourself a practically new engine there! And after you rebuild the other one you'll have a nice spare.

WhileI'm working on thebike,I have some LSL rearsets on the bike, and I dislike them a lot. Does anyone have oem rearsets linkage and and brake and shifter levers

If you don't hear back from anybody look on eBay. I saw several sets on there, but none were cheap. However, you could probably sell your LSL rearsets for enough money to buy a decent set of stockers.

Back