Finally installed stainless brake lines

geezer

A friend had these made for me quite a while back. They just sat around, waiting for me to have time to install them. Yesterday, I found the time. The difference is night and day! Just thought I'd share. Thanks Don!
P9160157.jpg

P9160158.jpg

;):D

I think I am gonna go with the stainless lines as well. Everyone talks about how great the brakes are on the FZ1 but my 01' doesn't stop on a dime like other guys say. The bike is mint with 12,000 miles on her now. I have checked the fluid level as well as bled the brakes and checked the pads. Everything looks excellent yet I still need to really squeeze the brake lever hard to get the bike to stop. There may be some difference in brake pads as well. What kind of pads are you guys using up front?

So how's that work? I suppose rubber lines do expand a bit and reduce the pressure in the lines compared to thee metal reinforced lines.
correct, in rubber lines, especially after some mileage, the pressure is also expanding the rubber lines, where you want the pressure go 100% to your brake pistons. The rear brake is not that crucial, but I would (and will) replace my front rubber lines at least as from 5000km....I replaced my previous bike (Diversion) rubber with metal lines, and the brake effect was huge.....I even made an (unforeseen) stoppie :D

correct, in rubber lines, especially after some mileage, the pressure is also expanding the rubber lines, where you want the pressure go 100% to your brake pistons. The rear brake is not that crucial, but I would (and will) replace my front rubber lines at least as from 5000km....I replaced my previous bike (Diversion) rubber with metal lines, and the brake effect was huge.....I even made an (unforeseen) stoppie :D

That seals the deal for me. Gonna go with the stainless.

That seals the deal for me. Gonna go with the stainless.

I'm in the process of getting some Fren Tubo lines from PJ with Brembo street pads. Some of the individuals I've talked to, said it is a great combo for under $200.00.

Won't know the final outcome until middle of the month for they have to order the lines, so won't be able to report until then.

BroHay

The Brembo's are just the pads? Your staying with the stock calipers?

staying with stock calipers and changing the stock pads to Brembo sintered street pads from PJ.

Had to call for pricing on the pads, but was 30 (or around) / caliper. The fronts only for the rear has enough bite as it is (otherwise you'd be breaking traction all the time when applying agressively)

BroHay

Sounds good. Post some pictures when everything is done with the brake system. I am going to pick up the Red Caliper Paint Kit from Duplicolor to do the front and rear calipers. It should go really nice with the wheel stripes. I'll post some pics when I am done.

Damn! Thats a good question. I didn't think about that. I could probably spray that black first then mask it off to do the red. That will keep the Red/Black scheme going. Good observation Bro.

I only ask the questions b/c of me getting ready to go down a version of the skunk with black/titanium.

Do you know if that puppy can even be removed? (I've yet to see a bit that big)

I've only seen one application where the color was changed....BLACK. I'll go investigate and report my findings.

Sounds good. Post some pictures when everything is done with the brake system. I am going to pick up the Red Caliper Paint Kit from Duplicolor to do the front and rear calipers. It should go really nice with the wheel stripes. I'll post some pics when I am done.

Is is something available in a spray can or do with professional type equipment?

Link b/c I'd be interested in reading up on it.....

Thanks,
BroHay

Yeah, I am going with the High Heat Duplicolor Black. It's a gloss color which goes on easy and has a good hard finish. I used it on the Nova that I am restoring. It won't matter about taking it off because I will spray that first and the caliper paint goes on with a brush. I might not even have to mask it off. I'll get you a link for the color.

Stainless Steel brake lines are one of the better bang for the buck mods. They really do make a big difference in the feel and more importantly the feedback through the brake lever.

I'd suggest not buying Galfer as their bolts and fitting tend to rust.

Back