Finally Converted to FZ1R-N!

I am beginning to Q the utility of the naked look. While I absolutely love the way it looks, it is a bit impractical to ride it in the wind. I have sometimes trouble hitting 65-70mph in windy conditions. I feel the bike is drifting all over the lane and the tires are going to lose grip and I am going to low side. Not a good feeling at all especially for the kind of riding I do on the weekend rides, regularly hitting triple digits.

I think I am going to test this setup out for a couple of months and go back to fairing.

Also have a FZ1N but I never had the problem you discribe. I use the bike daily also in bad weather and it can be very windy here. I have no problem hitting 200 KPH (125 MPH)

Hope you find what is giving the problem so that you can solve it.

done the r1 conversion myself took me a couple of hours to complete,gold forks very nice.yes the fork lenght is the same as the fz1 so no difference in ride hieght.got some spacers made everythink fits like a glove. however on the advice of one of the members i also changed the front discs for the r1 07/08 310mm and done away with the spacer,just for piece of mind like he said you are looking at 5mm less lenght of thread holding the calipers in place.will post more pics when it stops raining in the uk

Bike looks great mate, what sort of bar end-mirrors are they?. Thanks

I am beginning to Q the utility of the naked look. While I absolutely love the way it looks, it is a bit impractical to ride it in the wind. I have sometimes trouble hitting 65-70mph in windy conditions. I feel the bike is drifting all over the lane and the tires are going to lose grip and I am going to low side. Not a good feeling at all especially for the kind of riding I do on the weekend rides, regularly hitting triple digits.

I think I am going to test this setup out for a couple of months and go back to fairing.

If your regularly hitting triple digits then you need a Hayabusa, not an FZ1 :)
My naked is perfect for weekend twisty riding through technical tight stuff to fast sweepers.
Where I do struggle with it is in sustained highway touring where it can get a little tiring, that's when the fairing becomes a godsend.

Oh my god!!!!

Guys you know how much I love Fz1 and how much I desired a machine like these directly from the factory..a special editions only for Fz1 lovers..(please Yamaha!!!!)
Anyway,no more words:simply fantastic! A very very good job !!! My compliments!

It does take some getting used to, i came off sportsbikes to the FZ1n and will never look back. I just dig the naked look, the more you ride your neck muscles will strengthen up.

Guys you know how much I love Fz1 and how much I desired a machine like these directly from the factory..a special editions only for Fz1 lovers..(please Yamaha!!!!)
Anyway,no more words:simply fantastic! A very very good job !!! My compliments!

I thought mine was the FZ1 special edition model with the amount of $ spentive spent on her !!!!!.

the new look is really cool, I have an 03 do you know if I can do the same thing to elimate my fairing? I really would like to go with a round headlight but Im not sure were to look and I dont want to just hillbilly something up either, so if anybody can point me in the direction to buy a kit or something it would be great.

My crash couple of weeks back prompted me to finally convert after having the kit for more than a year. Did the 08 R1 frontend conversion at the same time.

Superglued my front fender for now and tail handle is still broken.

5234981783_fda308d26e_b.jpg

Wiring mess due to heated grips and power outlet

5234543839_849d0647bc_b.jpg

5235596900_81f006290b_b.jpg

Also expanded the airbox mod:

5235153534_3b1ef4cdda_b.jpg

5235153724_d37afa5506_b.jpg

From this:

4691041240_d5a675a497_b.jpg

4690407761_a4460278c7_b.jpg

Through this:

5198825838_4813732c91_b.jpg

5198825930_caae9daa80_b.jpg

5198826014_0a86d6f2a1_b.jpg

5198231595_244c3bf4c1_b.jpg

To this:

5235574716_cfcbb7d41a_b.jpg

Yours truly:

5248042924_662b81ff8f_b.jpg

5235596306_7b835ea844_b.jpg

5235023201_29995e6524_b.jpg

5235022769_6a14ce8d62_b.jpg

Improvised the radiator side covers by flipping them on the same side. I haven't seen them done like this before. IMO they flow better this way:

5235574984_2f31ace824_b.jpg

5234544195_7e0ac1a340_b.jpg

Crazybiker your bike looks awesome naked, you may have inspired me into doing an 07-08 6 pot caliper R1 fork conversion. I like the idea of 25mm cartridges instead of 20mm. Ive been thinking about it for some time now, i might swap the rotors off the R1 which are lighter & save getting spacers, use the R1 mastercylinder & if theres anything left in the kitty revalve the forks with a Racetech gold kit. From what i hear it is straight forward swap.

Ok, my weekend group ride (250 mile) confirmed it. The naked thing didn't last too long. My top speeds on the straights were shaved off by 15-25 mph due to which I had to do constant catching up, take corners faster to keep up with my group. Everyone else was railing much faster than me on the straights and I was catching up to them in the corners.

Now I am not surprised I put off the naked conversion for a year inspite having the kit lying in my garage. Another hint was I was constantly experimenting with different screens that provided the maximum protection until I settled on the Puig DB. I want to try the Givi/Puig touring screen next.

Took 7-8 hours to put the fairing and everything back. Still need to fix my LED blinkers with resistors as they are not working now. Rode it to work today on istate and I didn't even feel any wind upto 90mph. Fairing rocks! I love my bike again :D

Will have everything for sale soon, naked kit, mirrors, mirror mounts, radiator shrouds.

Well I'm not surprised by your experience...lol. I think the naked FZ1 looks great, but I wouldn't want it as my only bike or for extended trips that included high speed blasts.

On the bright side you hadn't sold all of your faired stuff so the only thing you had to invest again was your time.

The transformerish and brutish looks were the only good things and it was easy to see in corners. Thats just about it. The wind blast was actually disrupting my concentration too and you need it the most if you want to do 200+ miles of hard twisty riding in a day. Only thing common between comfort and the naked look is "brutal" :D

My older fairings were cracked and rashed a little bit as well as the headlight was missing the corner piece. I thought about putting those back but put the mint ones I got recently instead as I don't like people looking at it and constantly ask "Did you crash?".

On the other hand I will put the old fairings back on for my trackday.

Last edited:
Shame about the naked conversion not working for you, it looks so much better.

It takes a while to really get adjusted to the change but I find that a naked bike at speed is actually more comfortable and easier to ride long distances. Less wind noise without a windscreen creating dirty air, less strain having the wind hold my push up for me, etc, etc

Shame about the naked conversion not working for you, it looks so much better.

It takes a while to really get adjusted to the change but I find that a naked bike at speed is actually more comfortable and easier to ride long distances. Less wind noise without a windscreen creating dirty air, less strain having the wind hold my push up for me, etc, etc

On the contrary, I had to sit constantly forward grabbing the tank to resist the wind which made it hard to handle corners as whenever I am riding hard I sit back in the seat. Anything above 75mph made me feel that rear tire is sliding sideways under my a$$. Try the Puig DB Screen; improves the wind protection quite a bit. There is a reason they don't ride naked bike while racing. Makes sense? If your rides are tight twists then that makes sense.

I agree with Tony; a naked doesn't do-it-all as your all round bike.

Back