Exhaust

drmgillan its not a real full graves its r1 ti akrapovic front system modded and the graves can fitted ,looks the same as the graves system for the fz1 but cost les than $400 think graves want $1400+shipping and thats for stainless pipe work
will take the pegs off ,but need a seat cover first,as here u will get charged for having a rear seat and no pegs ,

drmgillan its not a real full graves its r1 ti akrapovic front system modded and the graves can fitted ,looks the same as the graves system for the fz1 but cost les than $400 think graves want $1400+shipping and thats for stainless pipe work
will take the pegs off ,but need a seat cover first,as here u will get charged for having a rear seat and no pegs ,
What State is that?

WA it sucks over this way if u want to mod ur bike ,cant even fit braided lines as its non standard ,just have to hope the cops are in a good mood ,if thy think it is non standard thy give u a yellow sticker and u have to take it to get checked over ,depending who checks it thy can make u stick the bike back to the way it was from factory

Last edited:
ECM to be remapped? At a dealer?

I also have the Leo Vinci, from the original owner.- (no Power Commander)

Should the ECM be remapped? The 2nd owner said he bought it just like this. He said, "The can is just a slip-on. It runs fine."

Do FZ1s have a little hiccup in their idle? I thought I heard it sitting at a stoplight. The db killer is IN.

It just turned 3000 miles. Maybe it needs a tune up?

Should the ECM be remapped? The 2nd owner said he bought it just like this. He said, "The can is just a slip-on. It runs fine."

Do FZ1s have a little hiccup in their idle? I thought I heard it sitting at a stoplight. The db killer is IN.

So who's dog is that? Is it a Foxy?

No need to remap for just a slip-on change and that goes extra as you have the db killer installed.

Would you benefit from a PCV and proper map? Yes of course you would, but it's not a necessity.

EDIT: Your bike looks sweet as :cheers:

Last edited:
I still have the stock exhaust. All the plumbing in this thread looks great and no doubt they sound great too. Is there an increase in performance with an aftermarket system? Base this increase on only essential tuning and no other mods. Any input?? Cheers.

I still have the stock exhaust. All the plumbing in this thread looks great and no doubt they sound great too. Is there an increase in performance with an aftermarket system? Base this increase on only essential tuning and no other mods. Any input?? Cheers.

Fitted a Screamin Demon slip on when I first bought the FZ1, plays a better note than stock & with the baffle in doesnt need any change in tune. Doesnt seem to have been alot of a powergain by itself but a few other mods would definetly help. As my last bike was an 08R1 the FZ1 seems a bit underpowered especially in the midrange. Im hoping to open up the airbox,fit some copperdawg secondary flies & a power commander in the future. These seem to be the common mods & I hope will improve the midrange. Want to get it handling better first though.

Would disabling the exup by leaving it open and leaving the stock exhaust affect performance? Would drilling the baffles or shortening the pipe change the stock sound?
Sorry guys but can resist a little experimentation.
That's how copperdawg came up with his flies, Ivan with the fce, etc...
Options welcome........
And yes I know going with and aftermarket slip on is simpler. Lol

Would disabling the exup by leaving it open and leaving the stock exhaust affect performance? Would drilling the baffles or shortening the pipe change the stock sound?
Options welcome........

I guess diabling the exup would help a little wouldnt be enough to notice by seat of the pants though.Drilling the baffles would alter the sound but again gains in performance would be really minimal.
If you like the look of the stock muffler why not have custom baffles made? I sent my R1 mufflers to a company in QLD Aus & had custom baffles made it was a bucket load cheaper than buying a pair of cans & came back with a completely unique sound.

Fitted a Screamin Demon slip on when I first bought the FZ1, plays a better note than stock & with the baffle in doesnt need any change in tune. Doesnt seem to have been alot of a powergain by itself but a few other mods would definetly help. As my last bike was an 08R1 the FZ1 seems a bit underpowered especially in the midrange. Im hoping to open up the airbox,fit some copperdawg secondary flies & a power commander in the future. These seem to be the common mods & I hope will improve the midrange. Want to get it handling better first though.

Thanks Fangn, so without other mods similar to stock. I'll leave mine for now, reg and service to pay for. I was in the Reefton Spur area again today and spoke with two GSXR riders. They said much the same as you and left their bikes with OEM systems. I'm quite happy with the predictable midrange so I may not ride that R1.......it'll tempt me into a heap of mods!! (probably end up doing the same mods you are anyway!) Very cold ride today. Cheers.

Options welcome........

I like experimenting too, and it doesn't always have to be expensive to get good results. Cutting the airbox is free, find a cheap used midpipe or make one and experiment with different mufflers like THESE or THESE. That's what I did with my wifes FZ6 below. Trimming or removing flies is free, but you'll need a EFI tuner at that point, which is far from free:(
picture.php

Even the 8 mile ride to work twice a week is BLISS

No need to remap for just a slip-on change and that goes extra as you have the db killer installed.

Would you benefit from a PCV and proper map? Yes of course you would, but it's not a necessity.

EDIT: Your bike looks sweet as :cheers:

Thanks. I get allot of comments, "Sweet bike." "What is this?" "How much did it cost to customize your Yamaha."

I just say, "It's pretty stock, but no, owner #1 did this, but it's what I would have put on a red-stock 2008."

:thewave:

I like experimenting too, and it doesn't always have to be expensive to get good results. Cutting the airbox is free, find a cheap used midpipe or make one and experiment with different mufflers like THESE or THESE. That's what I did with my wifes FZ6 below. Trimming or removing flies is free, but you'll need a EFI tuner at that point, which is far from free:(
picture.php

Can I see some more pics of the bike.
Looks original.
Wonder how it would sound.
Have a friend who put two similar slip on like urs on his fjr1300 .

I went with the IXIL Extream black shortty slipon on my '07. It like it. It come with 2 end baffels. I generally run the the more restrictive one. I did not seem to lose any ground to someone running a full Graves system, but I carry more speed in and out of corners than they do.

Thanks Fangn, so without other mods similar to stock. I'll leave mine for now, reg and service to pay for. I was in the Reefton Spur area again today and spoke with two GSXR riders. They said much the same as you and left their bikes with OEM systems. I'm quite happy with the predictable midrange so I may not ride that R1.......it'll tempt me into a heap of mods!! (probably end up doing the same mods you are anyway!) Very cold ride today. Cheers.

Cmon ride the R1, you know you want to!! I have to modify everything I own. Its an on going joke at my place because I reckon nothing has been built right until I have modded it!
Thanks for the album comments only two bikes missing X7GT250 Suzi & XL350 Honda. What have you owned?

Back