Engine Noise-Starter Clutch

Dear all,

I am from Brazil and I am writing because I am looking for some help with my bike. A Yamaha FZ1(S) 2007. My bike was imported and here in Brazil we have just a few bikes like that, this way I decided to look for the solution in the US... :)

My engine is making some strange noise-whining noise (like two gears that doesn’t fit very well). It follow the rpm,...higher above 3000 rpm.
I took the bike to an expert and trustable mechanic here and after a lot of tests, they concluded that the problem would be the Starter Clutch. Ok, based on this, I bought a new part Starter Gear Set to replace the older. At the first moment, the noise goes out but a few days after the noise happened again...and still there.

I am afraid that my crankshaft would be the responsible to this. I decided to write before trying to look for the crankshaft because here in Brazil I will pay extraterrestrial money to do that.

Maybe it was a usual problem in these bikes and as you have a lot of this in US...maybe you know a better way to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Junior.

First , Take a look at the generator / stator . Sometimes the magnets come loose.

Just to rule that out as a possible issue.

Did you replace the bearing ?? part number 93306-20230-00. I'd suspect that

You also mentioned you replaced the "starter gear set" but did you also replace the starter clutch part # 5VY-15570-00-00 ??

May also be a cam chain problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for answer!!!

Yes, we checked the stator/rotor and everything looks very fine!!!
I replaced the gear kit, including the bearing...exactly like the image attach..

Sorry for the english not good.. :)

Last edited:
Today I started the bike again...just to hear the noise...
The noise became a little different..Maybe its really the rotor/stator.
I will look for a rotor/stator to replace and test....and try to check the bearing that you told too...

I will not ride the bike anymore...until fix it.
FZ1 its a great sport confortable bike..but Yamaha dont sell it here...
I dont know why

Thanks!

2 cents

Dear all,

I am from Brazil and I am writing because I am looking for some help with my bike. A Yamaha FZ1(S) 2007. My bike was imported and here in Brazil we have just a few bikes like that, this way I decided to look for the solution in the US... :)

My engine is making some strange noise-whining noise (like two gears that doesn’t fit very well). It follow the rpm,...higher above 3000 rpm.
I took the bike to an expert and trustable mechanic here and after a lot of tests, they concluded that the problem would be the Starter Clutch. Ok, based on this, I bought a new part Starter Gear Set to replace the older. At the first moment, the noise goes out but a few days after the noise happened again...and still there.

I am afraid that my crankshaft would be the responsible to this. I decided to write before trying to look for the crankshaft because here in Brazil I will pay extraterrestrial money to do that.

Maybe it was a usual problem in these bikes and as you have a lot of this in US...maybe you know a better way to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Junior.

Had you ever heard another FZ-1 running before you got yours?

Although it's been awhile since I had mine now, I do remember it being fairly noisy, as far as being able to hear the whine of the cam gears, and it could be heard when riding as well. That is a characteristic of the engine, and it changed pitch dependent on rpm (as you describe). If you could idle and rev the engine and record some video close up to the cam chain side of the motor and post it up it might help diagnose anything out of the ordinary. Then one of the members here could do the same for comparison.

I would hate to see you not riding your bike for no real reason. They are known for reliability, and it would be strange if yours had an actual problem. The noise might just be unusual for what you are used to.

My current bike has a distinct "rattle" upon start up due to the oil pressure operated cam chain tension-er. It takes a couple of seconds for the pressure to get to full, and tighten the cam chain completely. The rattle stops once it does. I thought that there was something wrong when I first got the bike, but after a bit of research realized that it was normal for my machine. Each engine has its own unique sound, and some are very "mechanical" sounding, while others very quiet. I find that if a camera is placed closed to the new Tiger 800's right side they are extremely noisy (gear whine), maybe from "straight cut" cam gears?? Watch here to see what I mean;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB5c04-PANU

Last edited:
Good idea...I will try to make a movie and post it asap.
I am sure it's not an usual noise...it suddenly appeared...
And has become higher since the last riding I did.
Ok, thanks for your comments and if I fix it, sure I will post here.

Hi guys.
I recorded this video to try to show...I think it`s not the better place because on the garage the Yoshimura exhaust also make too noise but...if you cant hear it at the first part, you will hear in the end when accelerating...I talked to the mechanics again. They really think it is the touch point between the crankshaft gear and the starter gear. They think the bearing is fine and also the generator. At the 0:44 it is possible to hear that the noise goes out for a few seconds...
Maybe only I can hear it... :)
Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNWQvep5dNo

Sounds a bit funny near the end when you are revving it but hard to really say. The sound quality is not perfect and I don't have the best speakers on my computer.

Hi mate don't know if you have sorted bike yet ? Just watched video and sounded the same as mine had to change both bearings one behind starter clutch and the other in the outer case. Problem noise solved

Hi Wayne 01
Could you please confirm the 'catalog code' for these bearings?
Is it necessary to open another part of the engine to replace these bearings or just the stator cover?
Thanks for answer...

Last edited:
Good news! Problem solved!
Both bearings replaced. 93306–20124 and 93306–20230
Was necessary a special tool to remove the bearing from behind, but it is not so hard to do!
Gasket Stator Cover replaced too.
Bike 100%
Thanks to everyone!

Last edited:
Back