Eliminate Centerstand...

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
I will probably loose the centerstand also, put bobbins on the swingarm and lift with my paddock stand.

It's very easy to make a little stand to lift the rear. I made one of rectangular shaped aluminium 10X20mm, with a v-shaped grove at one end. Put the bike on the side stand, turn handlebars fully to the left, put a strap on the right handle to lock the front brake. Now put the stand under the right side bobbin, lift the rear up while pushing the stand with your foot in under the swingarm. Dead easy.

Anyone has removed the centerstand and can write a "how-to"?

I, however, am at a disadvantage b/c I don't have provisions to be able to mount spools to my rear swingarm.

I'm probably gonna give it a go, and will report wheter or not it is as easy as the video shows.

Adam

They have dropped the price down 25.00 and free shipping since I first saw it, and now there is a coupon to save an additional 8%.

I know the the DIY'er could come up with alternative, some have already been suggested, but looking for something that is portable. I would love to get all the toys to be able to build something myself, but I don't have as understanding a wife as you when it comes to purchasing additional tools these days. when I was out in the field, that was a different story, but then I would have to build an add on like you are looking to do to accomodate my already crammed space.

Adam

My center stand went bye-bye the other day when I installed my Yosh R-77 CF exhaust :D

I don't know on a Gen I, but my Gen II center stand must be at least 5 lbs. I have spools and some nice Pit Bull stands so it's no big deal to do chain maintenance.

They have dropped the price down 25.00 and free shipping since I first saw it, and now there is a coupon to save an additional 8%.

I know the the DIY'er could come up with alternative, some have already been suggested, but looking for something that is portable. I would love to get all the toys to be able to build something myself, but I don't have as understanding a wife as you when it comes to purchasing additional tools these days. when I was out in the field, that was a different story, but then I would have to build an add on like you are looking to do to accomodate my already crammed space.

Adam

Well, $25 is more than worth it! At that, I might get one myself to keep in the tail bag and drop my center stand, plus the wife's FZ6R doesn't have a center stand at all.

Thanks Adam!

Just don't clear out the inventory by Monday. That is when I get paid to be able to buy. Not only am I restricted on tool purchases, but same holds true for my motorcycle allowance.....

Adam

Just don't clear out the inventory by Monday. That is when I get paid to be able to buy. Not only am I restricted on tool purchases, but same holds true for my motorcycle allowance.....

Adam

;) No worries... I'm restricted too but if I pout a lot and point while constantly saying "Enh! Enh! Enh!" I typically get what I want. :D

Yeah, that one don't work for me. I just have to keep it under a certain amount (and any money spent on the bike is too much in her eyes).

.....latest, "I'm spending the money that I'd be spending on gas for the car" fortunately I have to drive alot going from job to job...

Adam

Last edited:
ok, so when the wife comments on it, and I'm contemplating it, guess I'll have to follow my wife's advice.

Anyone got any recommendation for stands. Sure I can read (and have read) reviews, but looking for insight from actual use.

Adam

ok, so when the wife comments on it, and I'm contemplating it, guess I'll have to follow my wife's advice.

Anyone got any recommendation for stands. Sure I can read (and have read) reviews, but looking for insight from actual use.

Adam

I have a set of Pit Bull stands (F & R). My rear one is only for spools (which you can't install on your bike), but they have one that's also for conventional swing arms. Lifts from under the swing arm. I am sure you have seen them. While I think the Pit Bull stands are well made I don't know that I would spend that kind of money on them to buy new. I got mine in the local Craigslist so they were a bargain. Take a look at T-Rex stands. They look very well made and very similar design of the Pit Bull stands. Search eBay or look on their site. Same price either way...

Adam,
As I said when we met, after having four bikes without a centerstand, it's nice to have one. I also have a lift/stand that Ibought for my V-Strom, but it sure is handy having a centerstand that all you have to do is push down and your rear end is lifted for chain work. On my trip out to Havasu, I cleaned/lubed my chain about five times using my Ketten Max. without my centerstand that easy ten minute job would have been significantly more work and would have taken a lot more time. If you were going to be home all the time when chain maintenance was needed, the centerstand wouldn't be that big a deal but if you can, I'd keep the centerstand. At minimum, even if you remove it, keep it for a "rainy day".

even without a centerstand... chain maintenance is easy... as long as you have 2 people... just rock it over onto the sidestand, lifting the rear wheel off the ground... then spin and spray...

here's my thought Brohay... if at all possible, I'd retain the center stand... on the rare occasion that I have a shop put a tire on, I'll cruise over to their shop, pop the bike on the centerstand, and pull the rear wheel off.... taking in just the wheel normally gets cheaper changes... with the little prop you're looking at... well... I wouldn't trust that thing to take the wheel off... even spinning the tire to lube the chain, I'd be afraid to upset it, and knock the bike off the stand...

I took the centre stand off my FZ6 because I think the bike looks MUCH better without it. I still need to get a paddock stand but I may wait until I upgrade.

even without a centerstand... chain maintenance is easy... as long as you have 2 people... just rock it over onto the sidestand, lifting the rear wheel off the ground... then spin and spray...

here's my thought Brohay... if at all possible, I'd retain the center stand... on the rare occasion that I have a shop put a tire on, I'll cruise over to their shop, pop the bike on the centerstand, and pull the rear wheel off.... taking in just the wheel normally gets cheaper changes... with the little prop you're looking at... well... I wouldn't trust that thing to take the wheel off... even spinning the tire to lube the chain, I'd be afraid to upset it, and knock the bike off the stand...

I would never look at doing a tire removal with the proposed stand from flEaBAY. It would be for long distance trips when the chain would need to be serviced. Eliminating the centerstand, just for a cleaner look b/c having the rear set all the way up and back, I've got about 1 1/4" of washers to eliminate contact with the shifter.

I guess the other option would be to reduce the length of the tab one uses to put the center stand down.

I'd still have regular stands for maintenance when in the garage doing work.

Well, I have the tab on the midpipe but I have not fussed with enough but if you add the rubber stopper, I'm at an 1 3/4".

Tell me how I can retrofit the micron serpent from crazybiker, you'd be one step closer to getting the MIVV.

Last edited:
Back