East central IL-West central IN

OK, I'm in. It all sounds good.

BTW, I don't know what I was thinking. I don't have a Q4, I have the Scala G4 also. Ian and I can talk. I must have been really tired when I typed that. :retard:

New Forum Member

Good Morning!

Just joined the Forum.

Looking for fellow riders who live somewhat near my location of Bloomington, IN.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks,

Don Ellison

Good Morning!

Just joined the Forum.

Looking for fellow riders who live somewhat near my location of Bloomington, IN.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks,

Don Ellison

I'm about 45 min west of Terre Haute, IN in IL. I think there are a few from the Indy area. I'm hoping to hit Brown County IN before winter hits. Maybe we could meet up somewhere.

Upcoming Bike Ride

G' Morning!

Just joined the Forum and saw the info about an upcoming bike ride.

I live near Bloomington, IN and ride an 05 FZ1.

Is your ride going to be fairly near to that area?

Thanks,

Don Ellison

G' Morning!

Just joined the Forum and saw the info about an upcoming bike ride.

I live near Bloomington, IN and ride an 05 FZ1.

Is your ride going to be fairly near to that area?

Thanks,

Don Ellison

We ended up deciding on the Bloomington, IL area for Sunday 9/15/13, but I still hope to make it over that way before winter hits. I'll post something when I know more. I'll have to see what the weather is like when I have time. Terre Haute is a quick jaunt for me. Maybe we could meet somewhere around there.

I would like to tour Brown Co on my FZ as I have ridden there several times on my bicycle for the CIBA Hilly Hundred. Started doing those in the 80s but haven't in the past 5 or 6 years.

Bloomington IN is only about 230 miles from Bloomington IL. :eek5:

Weather had looked very good in Bloomington, IL on Sunday 9/15 until today. Now I'm showing 20-50% rain from 9-5 on Weather Bug. I'll keep checking it. We may have to reschedule :(

I'll keep checking.

I just returned from our dinner ride to LaSalle IL and we got a tiny bit of rain in both directions, not even enough to wash off the bugs or to put on the rain gear.

I found out that more often then not the predictions are off.

I just returned from our dinner ride to LaSalle IL and we got a tiny bit of rain in both directions, not even enough to wash off the bugs or to put on the rain gear.

I found out that more often then not the predictions are off.

As long as its 30% or less, I'm game to get a little wet, but 40-60% is a bit much for me. I don't have rain gear. I need to get some. I may put on my large V-stream windshield. It helps a bit too.

I'm not giving up yet. I really want to do this ride.

LOL: No rain was predicted in the Bloomington area for last night, it poured.

I wish I had a job like the weather forecasters, get paid good money and still be wrong over 50% of the time.

Thank God for that rain!

That unpredicted rain was sent from God, to save my Dads life! He rides to work everyday, except today because of the rain. On his way in this morning a car turned left in front of him with zero reaction time. He t-boned a full size van at 55 miles an hour. If he was on his bike he probably would not be with us anymore. I think God knew the only way to keep him alive was to make it pour right at the time he leaves, a drizzle wouldnt have stopped him!

He has been telling me how proud he is that I always gear up anytime I ride. He tried my jacket on a few times and decided if he had one like it that he would try and do the same. (previously he only wore boots & gloves) So yesterday Sept 11th, his birthday, I gave him a new Joe Rocket with full armor. Upon receiving it he decided that if he was going to wear a jacket all the time he might as well wear his full face helmet too. Yay!! :thewave:
Makes me feel better and my Mom was ecstatic. However because of all this gear he figured he could ride in that rain instead of driving, but as he was putting in his jacket liner he says a voice in his head kept telling him "just take the truck" thank god he listened. Im not sure all that gear at his age would have saved him from an accident like that.

Moral of the story, lead by example, and listen to your gut!

I hope the weather works out for you guys, and you have a safe ride. I wish I could join you but the family needs me that day. Ride safe!

Technically isn't there always a "50%" chance of rain, it might rain, it might not! They should just go with that figure everyday. Lol

I'm so glad your dad was in the truck instead of on the bike. No amount of gear can protect you like a cage.

I'm thrilled your dad decided to start wearing a jacket and full face helmet when riding. I believe strongly in having the choice to wear or not wear a helmet, I just think everyone should choose to do so.

Best wishes and prayers to you and your family. I hope your dad makes a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks Troy, luckily there were no injurys for anyone involved.

I agree it should be ones choice. Not wearing a helmet/seat belt puts no one in danger but Yourself. However I think your silly (being nice) if you don't.

Wow, that's scary. I get looks from squids in 90+ degrees wearing jacket, helmet, gloves and boots.

Regarding Sunday, Vagabond let me know that he will not make it because his mother-in-law passed away today.

Rx_FZ1 - You mentioned a good area to ride in the Springfield region. Where is it? I think that there may be some decent riding down by Hillsboro or Greenville.

Thanks Troy, luckily there were no injurys for anyone involved.

I agree it should be ones choice. Not wearing a helmet/seat belt puts no one in danger but Yourself. However I think your silly (being nice) if you don't.

I see in your sig that you have Throttlemeisters. Are they worth the price? I tried using the SOS Universal Vista Cruise but it wouldn't hold the throttle open unless you tightened it down so tight that it required a strong effort to work the throttle with the cruise in the open position. Not very safe if you ask me.

If its too hot for gear its too hot to ride! Its pretty flat over here, lake springfield is pretty small but its twisty, from there i like to head to lake sangchris. Its not twisty but it is a pretty ride and fairly shaded. From there I usually head to Neihause Cycles in Litchfield IL, its Nice little ride. The river road Hwy 96 from Hull IL down to the ferry is a really nice ride too, not real twisty but scenic. Hull is where it starts but you can pick it up anywhere south of there.

I love the throttlemeister, they are a bit pricey but they are woth it IMO. It is super easy to set a speed and locks tight enough to keep it, while still allowing you to back off the throttle with it on in an emergency. I also like that it is a real guy that rides who designed and manufacturers it. He has a machine shop and is very helpfull if you have any questions. You may be able to find a used one on ebay too. Also get the heavy ones, they are heavier than the stock bar ends and slightly reduce the vibration of the bars.

Last edited:
I have been seriously considering a Throttlemeister. I've been taking longer and longer trips with the wife (on her own bike) over the past few years. We only go about 300-500 miles in a day, but after 100 miles without a break, I could stand to take my hand off the throttle for just a bit.

It's on my list of mods. I was concerned about the install. It doesn't seem too hard, but there have been a few "less than easy" installs on YouTube, but I can't tell if it's the product or the user. I've seen some pretty bad oil changes on YouTube too. :shame:

They are not difficult at all, but it does take some trial and error. It comes with two vital parts. A plastic shim that goes under the grip that has a lip the lock comes in contact with to lock it in place. If you don't have it, it will be a pita. It also comes with about 6 washers in different thicknesses that go into the lock to get the spacing correct. This is where the trial and error comes in. Depending on your grips determines how many and what thicknesses to use. I tried about 5 combinations before realizing it worked best with none.

Back