Dustin's New Bike Thread

Same here glad your ok.... I picked up my ZRX1100 for cheap and you can find nice 1200 for a good price lots of spares, but the forum website gets their panties in a bunch constantly...

Glad your ok Dustin!!! sorry about your bike.What size bike, weight are you thinking about? Do you want all the new gadgets ABS,Tracktion control,cruise control? Do you want a giant heavy pig that rides sweet on the road or are you looking for something similar to the 919 with modern improvements? I have always loved the 919 a bullit proof bike. GOOD LUCK with your search

I test rode the Tiger years ago before I bought my Gen 1. Its an awesome bike-probably the smoothest engine I've ever experienced.

Well, I have seen some great deals on low mile gen 1's lately. Both in Portland and Seattle so you wont have to go far! You have to admit the old gen 1 is still a sexy beast!

I've already had a Gen 1 but there is some temptation there. The price is right and it ticks many boxes. Not too sure, though

Bellevue, WA isn't too far and for $12k for a 2011 doesn't seem bad.

If I decide not to get a replacement bike right away and squirrel money away over the winter, I may consider this. I may not even get a bike at all and just go on holiday instead. Or pay off my last bit of student loan. Hmmm!

2008 BMW K 1200 S

Look at this one Dustin. I have been eying it for a couple days now, if you don't bite on it I just might! This is a great deal!

Rocket ship. :) I've always wanted an R1200R/RT, actually

First off, I'm very glad you are OK and I'm sorry about the 919. OK, now for new bike talk! :Rockon:

You've never had a Gen II FZ1. I know you can get one of those for well under your price and have plenty left over for hard cases, seat, suspension, exhaust, windscreen and a few other mods. I even know a few guys that could tell you anything you need to know about it. :hook2:

You might find a used FJR in your range, but I don't think that's the type of bike you are looking for. What about a Ninja 1000? Oops, no center stand.

Maybe a Grom. No center stand, but you can just lift it... LOL :box:

I really like the FZ-09, but again no center stand. Maybe you can add one. :dontknow:

I vote Gen 11 FZ1 so how does this affect your ride coming up? You still doing it?...nevermind just saw your other post I was going to ride with you.

I've always wanted a Gen 2, actually. It's very tempting and they can be had for not a lot of money.

Same here glad your ok.... I picked up my ZRX1100 for cheap and you can find nice 1200 for a good price lots of spares, but the forum website gets their panties in a bunch constantly...

I will consider that. How are they as far as sport potential?

Glad your ok Dustin!!! sorry about your bike.What size bike, weight are you thinking about? Do you want all the new gadgets ABS,Tracktion control,cruise control? Do you want a giant heavy pig that rides sweet on the road or are you looking for something similar to the 919 with modern improvements? I have always loved the 919 a bullit proof bike. GOOD LUCK with your search

I'm not too bothered about gadgets. I am in the market for an ST bike that can do two-up riding but I'm not quite sure if I want to abandon a street bike yet.

Glad to hear you are ok. As for the bike are you partial to Japanese?

I think so. Not sure I could afford to own anything European.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas, guys.

I should hopefully be hearing from the shop that is going to do the assessment. I need to make sure I point out a bunch of issues and things I noticed need replacing. After that, I guess I just wait and see if they decide to repair it or decide to write it off.

If they write it off, I will start bike hunting.

There are two likely candidates at the moment.

Firstly: I've always wanted a Kawasaki Versys 650. They are an absolute hoot to ride and it's a damn good motorcycle. I've also never owned a Kawasaki before :Rockon:

Secondly: I've never owned a Gen 2 FZ1! That is high on the list of must-owns. I would love to get another bike with a beastly top end like the FZ1 has. Plus, it's cool and loves to be modded

A Multistrada is right up there on the WANT list but I would probably pass on any European bike at the moment. I guess we'll just have to see!

Last edited:
Aprilia Touno Second gen. One ride and you wont care about the center stand
6335225665835184982007_Aprilia_Tuono_Factory.jpg

Get a GEN2, and maybe have some cash in your pocket.

This spring my 07 Gen2 (with 40K) got totaled. I was able to get my Insurance to pay an extra $3500 for the bolt ons on top of the value of the bike. After paying off my loan, buying back the bike, I had $4500 in my pocket for fixing it back up. $600 for a whole new set of bodywork and she looks like new.

Sure I now had a bike with a salvage title, but really, who cares? I buy my bikes to use them, not sell them.

Get a GEN2, and maybe have some cash in your pocket.

Hard to argue with that. Seems people are giving Gen II FZ1's away. Shocking how good some of the deals are if you keep an eye out.
Heck with your $8000 budget you could find a brand new leftover at that price and look for used bags, but with the deals on the used market you can't lose.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Yamaha-FZ-1-110951841

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2006-Yamaha-FZ1-110949792

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Yamaha-FZ1-108559782

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Yamaha-FZ1-110936952 ( NEW ! 2012 CHEAP )

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Yamaha-FZ1-103569935 ( Another new 2012 CHEAP )

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129648 ( Nice mods, low miles, seller willing to SPLIT SHIPPING )

New 2012's are available from $6500-7500 at quite a few dealers, got to love 2 year old brand spankin new bikes at these prices

Last edited:
Realistically, I think it's down to the gen 2 FZ1 or a Versys. I've always really wanted both bikes and both would fit in my life very well for different reasons.

I'm still interested in a sport tourer for two up riding but maybe that will have to wait. I want a solo fun machine first.

Monday can't come soon enough so I can get this show on the road and deal with the broken bike sitting in my garage

And just to clarify, my $8000 budget is probably not what I really want to spend. Maybe that is a final price, including mods and things. ;)

Last edited:
Back