Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier II

Just wanted to say thanks to VA_Rider for his advice on the BT016's for my Fz1. I had them installed yesterday and although they seemed a little loose at first, after about 100miles, they started to really get sticky and held up up very nicely. I guess when any tire is brand new, they can take a little while before they feel like they'll hold? I'm not sure for I have never had new tires on my bike besides the stock ones. I'm looking forward to really breaking the BattleAx's in, in the next few weeks. I do have a question though, I went with the 190/55 instead of the 190/50's and this is only because they didn't have any of the 50's left. Can anyone tell me if this is gonna effect anything other than my ride height by less than half an inch? Just not sure what other difference it makes?

All new tires needs scrubbing in. Take it easy the first miles, increase the lean angle gradually, and don't be hard on the throttle, just roll through the turns.

The ride height diff will make the bike turn in with less effort, probably a positive change on the FZ1, a little quicker steering without being too nervous.

I'll post an update when I have tried these tires.

Also i got a 190/55 rear to make the rear a bit higher and sharpen the steering.

I've got now the 190/55 for 1200km on the rear, and indeed the steering feels sharper, (took the shiny bit off quicker than I did with the original 190/50 Sportmax) especially on low speed sharp turns. Must say up to now I'm pretty happy with the Qualifier...

A 190/55 is the size of choice for a Gen2, really works well on this bike and is the current OEM size for many of today's liter supersports.

Thanks JonDaddy82, that's good news, I thought I might have done something silly, but instead it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Thanks again to all of you who commented.

First ride today with the Dunlop Q2's and they feel very nice. Easier turn in and a more neutral feeling in the corners. I have a 190/55 rear. They look good too. The old Pilot Roads where only worn to 60% but I just couldn't wait to get rid of them. Highly recommendable. Now I have to check how they perform on the track.

I've tried the Q2's on one track day now. I don't push the FZ hard on track, just having fun with medium tempo. I have a second bike now that will be used for the track (more on that). The Q2's worked very well, no problems with grip, only problem was the wear. I did a mistake and left the tire pressure as I have on the road (2.4/2.5bar F/R, or 35/36psi F/R). That caused the rear to have "cold tear", a rough wear area half way down the profile. It is caused by heat only on the surface and not all the way through the tire.

I have a CBR600F -02 that will be my track tool and I have done two track days on that, also on Qualifiers but not Qualifier 2 (not sure what the diff is). I lowered the tire pressure to 2.2/2.1bar F/R (32/30psi F/R) and that worked much better. Perfect grip and stability and very nice wear on the front and rear. So if you're gonna use Q's or Q2's on the track, remember to lower tire pressures.

I guess I am just spoiled by my michelin tires. I have them on my van, minivan and car as well as both bikes. I know the life of the power series isnt to good but they stick well, and cornering is great and never a flat or issue with service, balance or anything else, so I guess my moto of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is why I don't try Dunlop. I have watched some of the races listened to some of the comments and I do not care for the attitude of AMA making all of the bikes use Dunlop, I might be wrong but it seems as though that was what they were requiring? I really don't care for the new owners group of AMA anyway.

michelin is the worst tire here to Greece , our roads are like ice , the M3 and Qualifier and corsa III are the best tires for here!

My riding buddy and I both just got Q2's installed and have put about 600 miles on them. I think they're awesome, and the price was hard to beat for such a good quality tire.

I have approximately 1500 miles on a new Q2 on the rear. Seems to be wearing down fast for public road twisty action, especially in the middle section...

300lbs running 38psi cold rear here. Is that too low for my weight?

I just bought a set of the Q2's to try out at my next trackday. My current tires are Michelin Pilot Power 2Ct's which I really love on the street. They have quite a few miles though so I'm going to start fresh for my trackday in a few weeks...

I'll post up my results when I get back. Every review I've read about the performance of these tires on the track was positive...

Motorcycle Tire Review of Dunlop Sportmax Q2 - Review of the Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Sportbike Tires

Trackday: Sportbike Tire Comparison | Motorcycle News

Dunlop Q2 Review by Gary J - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

I have just ordered my first set of replacement tires (stock was the Michelin Pilot Road, not "2", the old model). Have anyone tried these tires? My dealer have a very nice price on these tires right now. Also i got a 190/55 rear to make the rear a bit higher and sharpen the steering. They will be used mostly on the road but with the occasional race track ride.

Dunlop TireQUALIFIER

I've been through about four sets of Q2s on my track-dedicated FZ1. Terrific tire. Heats up fast and sticks well at aggressive lean angles.

Wear is good, although a bike as heavy as the FZ1 will chew through a rear pretty quick. They are a bit less expensive than the Bridgestones and Michelins, although the Michelins may last a little longer. Evidently the BT003, the equivalent, doesn't last as well. Don't know for sure, tho.

*Very* sensitive to tire pressure. But that may be the bike as much as the tire. I run 29 in the rear and 30 in the front. 30 in the read seems less sticky to me.

I am currently converting two of my other bikes, a CBR and a Tuono, to Q2s. Going with Roadsmarts on the touring bike.

Back