Ducati 999

Peter1968

I thought I would share some photos of my new to me 2005 Ducati 999 which has been my dream bike since it was realeased in 2003.

I purchased this bike back in November of 2011, I had been shopping hard for a clean 999. I finally found this one just outside of Pittsburgh PA. It is a replacment for my very muched loved 2008 FZ1 that unfortunately I had a mishap on back in July riding too agressive on unfamiliar roads. My insurance company totalled it and the search began for a replacement bike.

I have had to do very little to the bike just a few add ons, I purchased it with a full Zard exhaust (what a sound it makes) PC3, Ohlins front and rear, Giles rearsets, mono tail, and Im not sure what brand open clutch cover. I have since added a Speedy Moto sproket cover, Carbon Fiber tire huger, Tech Spec tank pads, and new Dunlop Q2's. I also took it in for it six thousand mile service in January and part of the service is a dyno run, it performed at 135 hp! It is a better bike then I am a rider, the twin will teach me better throttle control for sure. Here are some pics:

SDC12194.jpg

SDC12196.jpg

SDC12197.jpg

SDC12210.jpg

SDC12206.jpg

SDC12212.jpg

Ohlins front
SDC12214.jpg

Ohlins and new tire huger
SDC12204.jpg

Clutch cover
SDC12221.jpg

Speedy Moto sprocket cover
SDC12220.jpg

Zard Exhaust
SDC12201.jpg

Zard exhaust and look how norrow it is compared to an inline four.
SDC12202.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots Pete of a great looking bike. I'm assuming that you will be doing all the maintainence and upkeep on it yourself? I heard that there is a lot of maintaining on these particular Ducs. Is that true?? It does look super easy to access the clutch and front sprocket though. Also, I looked at one of your other shots of the hugger and noticed that the exhaust comes very close to the rear spring.

When first released I was not a big 999/749 fan but over the years I've come to like them more than the 916 series. Many still say its a better chassis than the 1098.

Great shots Pete of a great looking bike. I'm assuming that you will be doing all the maintainence and upkeep on it yourself? I heard that there is a lot of maintaining on these particular Ducs. Is that true?? It does look super easy to access the clutch and front sprocket though. Also, I looked at one of your other shots of the hugger and noticed that the exhaust comes very close to the rear spring.

Ducati making machanics out of motorcyclists for over 50 years

Bill, thanks. I will do most of the minor maintenance myself, but when it comes to a major service it is out of my comfort zone, I will have to use the dealer which is owned by Eraldo Ferracci. It does have higer service intervals than most other bikes, so I guess the answer to your question would be yes.

Its the angle of the photo it has more room than what the photo shows.

Last edited:
Yes! I know a Duc when one is within ear shot. That dry clutch is Extremely distinct!

Awesome bike you have Peter! One of the late greats. Yes, they do make mechanics out of owners but you have to love the bike to be an owner.

Nice collection going!!!

She's a beauty

There was such a commotion with the Ducati faithful when that bike came out. It was a fairly shocking departure from the long standing style that ducati had developed. At least for the Ducati faithful, and it wasn't well received by them or the bike media at the time. Me I always liked them, mainly because I had an open mind and no real history with the brand. The 999 was the first Ducati that I ever really paid attention to, and I thought it was inovative and sexy. I still do to this day, and the design has stood the test of time, not looking dated at all, and still a hottie!:jaw drop:

There was such a commotion with the Ducati faithful when that bike came out. It was a fairly shocking departure from the long standing style that ducati had developed. At least for the Ducati faithful, and it wasn't well received by them or the bike media at the time. Me I always liked them, mainly because I had an open mind and no real history with the brand. The 999 was the first Ducati that I ever really paid attention to, and I thought it was inovative and sexy. I still do to this day, and the design has stood the test of time, not looking dated at all, and still a hottie!:jaw drop:

Thank you Lee, I think for a lot of what you stated above is what initial grabbed my attention, I had no real history with Ducati other than being a fan of the bikes. Once I saw the 999 I fell in love and always told myself that when I was in a position to buy one that I would. I could not be happier that I found one in such nice overall shape and with a list of mods I would want eventually to install myself. Now I need to get out and ride it on a regular basis, being a late fall purchase I don't have a lot of seat time maybe a few hundred miles.

Back