Don't be a Squid

He was moving fairly fast, I don't think he was being a "squid" as he wasn't doing anything overly risky. By your own admission you were speeding, so was the other rider, how is your level of wrong less than his?

The carpool lane looked fairly safe for going fast (You were barely passing the other traffic... so you weren't blazing yourself... lol). I'm just saying... maybe he had to get to work or maybe he was listening to something with a faster beat than CCR?

:)

Did you see him coming up behind you?
Cause I've had motorcyclists pass me like that without me knowing they were back there and scared the 5hit outta me.

I don't know what to say ... I have been passed like that before, and it startled me too. I felt like the guy got awfully close to me when he passed me - too close. After that experience (I was a very new rider at the time) I decided to never do that to another rider. I have passed guys on the freeway in their same lane of travel, but I slow my approach and allow them to recognize that I'm there before I pass. And I always try to wave. This is only as a last resort though, I'd much rather just take the next lane over, but sometimes traffic won't allow it.

While you'd probably say I'm aggressive if you saw me ride, and crazy for some of the lane splitting/sharing that I do, I would never want someone to say that I was rude to them out on the road.

I guess just try to be considerate and respectful of others when you're out on the road, especially other riders.

He was moving fairly fast, I don't think he was being a "squid" as he wasn't doing anything overly risky. By your own admission you were speeding, so was the other rider, how is your level of wrong less than his?

The carpool lane looked fairly safe for going fast (You were barely passing the other traffic... so you weren't blazing yourself... lol). I'm just saying... maybe he had to get to work or maybe he was listening to something with a faster beat than CCR?

:)

There is a big difference between the level of "safe" with my speed and his, if you cannot recognize that I am not sure what to tell you...... I could get a speeding ticket for the speed I was going, he could get a wreckless driving ticket for his speed. It is hard to see because of the GoPro fish eye lens, but he passed a number of cars up ahead of me in the carpool lane without ever slowing down.

Safe is subjective. In the eye of the law, you were being unsafe, too. You don't think so because you were riding and in control. So who decides what's safe?

You seem to have a penchant for shitting on other road users. Just get out of the way and ride your ride

Safe is subjective. In the eye of the law, you were being unsafe, too. You don't think so because you were riding and in control. So who decides what's safe?

You seem to have a penchant for shitting on other road users. Just get out of the way and ride your ride

Speeding and Wreckless Driving are not one in the same.

Of course safe is subjective, it is not safe to walk out ones front door in the morning, it is not safe to drive a car and it is even less safe to ride a motorcycle on a road with cars.

I never said what I was doing was "safe" but rather "safer" than what the other user was doing. I am kinda shocked anyone was defending the guy doing 120mph+......

There is a big difference between the level of "safe" with my speed and his, if you cannot recognize that I am not sure what to tell you...... I could get a speeding ticket for the speed I was going, he could get a wreckless driving ticket for his speed. It is hard to see because of the GoPro fish eye lens, but he passed a number of cars up ahead of me in the carpool lane without ever slowing down.

I can tell the speed difference, and my opinion is still mine. You have no idea of what level of a rider the person that passed you is. It is just your perception. Other people on the roadway might have had the same perception of you and your speed. Are they right? Are you right... Personally, I don't care. The rider that you are so offended by, did they cause an accident? If not, then they were operating on the road just as safe as you. Now, had that other speeding rider caused an accident, then I would be right there with you complaining about his reckless riding.

I did not do a video analysis to ascertain the rate of speed of the other motorcyclist; however, the California Supreme Court has ruled that speed alone does not constitute reckless driving.

I can tell the speed difference, and my opinion is still mine. You have no idea of what level of a rider the person that passed you is. It is just your perception. Other people on the roadway might have had the same perception of you and your speed. Are they right? Are you right... Personally, I don't care. The rider that you are so offended by, did they cause an accident? If not, then they were operating on the road just as safe as you. Now, had that other speeding rider caused an accident, then I would be right there with you complaining about his reckless riding.

I did not do a video analysis to ascertain the rate of speed of the other motorcyclist; however, the California Supreme Court has ruled that speed alone does not constitute reckless driving.

I was told as a very young man that anything above 100mph in a 65 zone would be considered Wreckless by the CHP. That officer happened to let me go with a reduced speed on my ticket to avoid the big fines and Suspension of my DL. I think I was 20 at the time. Maybe that was just his opinion, maybe that is how most CHP view it. I do not know, but that is the reason I would put that other rider in the position of wreckless driving.

I think I was going between 85-90mph in a 65 zone, in a clear Car Pool lane and not passing people like they were standing still, as is shown in the video. People drive fast in SoCal, that is just a part of life here.

Speeding and Wreckless Driving are not one in the same.

What defines reckless? That's a slippery slope and I don't think any of us are qualified to answer that. Simply moving to a different state would make your 90 mph fall under the category of reckless. Is it?

What defines reckless? That's a slippery slope and I don't think any of us are qualified to answer that. Simply moving to a different state would make your 90 mph fall under the category of reckless. Is it?

I did a quick lookup because my frame of reference was what I posted above in #13. I was going off what a CHP Officer told me 17 years ago.... In Virginia, certain speeds alone can be defined as Wreckless, but in California more is required and I can only imagine that is at the discretion of the officer.

IMHO, wreckless applies to the situation, in this case the freeway was busy, but not stop n go, the Car Pool lane, behind the Double yellow was open and moving fast, I was not catching and over taking cars in the same lane. The rider who passed me was. If a CHP officer pulled us both over I feel I would just get a speeding ticket and he would get a bit more, but I cannot say for certain it would be a wreckless driving fine.

If it was just the other bike any myself and no cars and he passed me in another lane, I would say no, not wreckless at all......

The hardest part here is it all depends on the Officer and how they see the situation and how they are feeling that day, etc.

I have been in my car driving 85 MPH in a 65 zone on the freeway in very light traffic and been passed by a CHP.

I have also been pulled over for going 85MPH in a 65 zone on the freeway in very light traffic.......

You are absolutely right as it being up to the officer. I was on I5 in between Stockton and Sacramento on my new Hayabusa... no one was on the road, it was straight, I wanted to see how quickly it gained speed. Well, hello there CHP, I was down shifting like a champ and the ticket he wrote me was for 111 mph (I was doing way more than that) he didn't cite me for wreckless as all I was doing was speeding. I was an idiot on that bike and sold it to save myself and my wallet.

I see your point about the situation making it wreckless, I just also know that traffic is usually worse than that so maybe the rider felt ok. Just playing the devils advocate.

Here in BC, reckless driving is anything more than 24 mph over the limit. If you're caught, there's a roadside suspension, vehicle impound and over $1000 worth of fees, citations and license points. The speed limits are also quite low and one particular winding highway just outside of Vancouver is a good example of how stupid the laws are. It's a 55 mph 4-lane winding road with perfect pavement and clear sightlines. This road in particular can easily be cruised at 85 mph with one arm tied behind your back. Seriously. Yet, if you're riding it at 80, you're losing your license, bike and the contents of your wallet.

Here in BC, reckless driving is anything more than 24 mph over the limit. If you're caught, there's a roadside suspension, vehicle impound and over $1000 worth of fees, citations and license points. The speed limits are also quite low and one particular winding highway just outside of Vancouver is a good example of how stupid the laws are. It's a 55 mph 4-lane winding road with perfect pavement and clear sightlines. This road in particular can easily be cruised at 85 mph with one arm tied behind your back. Seriously. Yet, if you're riding it at 80, you're losing your license, bike and the contents of your wallet.

Yes, but you have government health care... lol Sorry, I couldn't or wouldn't stop myself!

It's a 55 mph 4-lane winding road with perfect pavement and clear sightlines. This road in particular can easily be cruised at 85 mph with one arm tied behind your back. Seriously. Yet, if you're riding it at 80, you're losing your license, bike and the contents of your wallet.

That is awful, there is no reason to have a 55mph speed limit on any highway unless it is very narrow and has some very sharp turns. The 101 freeway in Downtown LA actually qualifies for a 55mph speed limit just because of the sharp turns. Back when it was first built cars went a lot slower...

Back