Do you guys know of a surveillance system for hit and runs? My 2nd case in 3 months!!

Do you guys know of a surveillance system for hit & runs? Edit-Police found the Jeep

*********EDIT***********

THE POLICE FOUND THE JEEP THAT HIT MY BIKE!!!!!!!!!
:party0011::party0011::thewave::cheers:

I work tonight but I don't care! I'm so pumped up that I'm going down to speak to the cops right now!!!! I can't wait to hear what they have to say!!!!
I just called the Yamaha shop and asked them (as a favor) to do a quick) ASAP estimate. I can't wait to see what that turns out to be :smokin2:
Going down to talk to the cops now - swing by the Yama Shop first and get a number.
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so happy that they found these guys!!!!!!!! My faith in my town's police department has gone WAY up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you guys know of any surveillance systems you can put in your vehicle that can video someone who has hit your car? This is why I'm asking:
I work the night shift so I pulled into Whataburger at about 4:30am. I remember seeing 2 guys getting onto a grey Jeep and they were kind of eyeing me. I figured they were just looking for trouble - didn't think about it again.
When I placed my order - the attendant asked a weird question "Did your bike fall over?" I went outside to look and found my FZ1 on the ground, spun around. I picked it up and found this:

20120122_045551.jpg

20120122_045544.jpg

20120122_045558.jpg

I filed a police report and then went looking for the Jeep. The guys looked college age so I drove all the apartments but couldn't find a grey Jeep. I'm really frustrated!! This is the 2nd time I have had a hit and run in the last 2 or 3 months. This sucks!!! I'm wondering if you guys know of anything that can keep a video log of a parked vehicle? I know it probably won't work for my bike but maybe something for a car/truck? Just wondering if you guys had any ideas?

Last edited:
Don't know what Wataburger is mate but I would have thought that most outlets selling anything at 4.30am would have their own CCTV. Have you spoken to their management to see if they have and if the car's been captured ?

It's a hamburger joint in the states. 24 hour service - 7 days a week. Since I work the night shift I have limited amount of places to grab something to eat early in the morning.

Whataburger

I appreciate your idea. I asked the kid behind the counter if they previous customers paid with cash or debit card. I was hoping they had left a paper trail. Unfortunately they paid in cash.
When I asked about a camera the kid I was speaking to said they had a camera behind the counter but not in the parking lot. Hopefully that will point the cops in the right direction because I told them that I am ready to press charges on whoever did this.
I'm going to talk to the district manager tomorrow. The night supervisor was on the phone with someone but I'm not sure who it was. Anyway - I think they (Whataburger) was concerned with me suing the company. I have NO intention of doing that.
That was a good idea - if you guys have anymore ideas please don't hesitate to throw them out. I appreciate any help that I can get :tup:

Mate, I'd be trying to secure that CCTV footage asap as some of these places overwrite it, sometimes after 24hrs or a few days. Even if the blokes paid in cash, a CCTV image will help the police. You never know, the local cops may have dealt with them before and recognise them...then one may have the jeep registered in their name.

Failing that, I'd go down to the hamberger joint about the same time and wait.....chances are the will return, then I'd get the rego and take that to the cops.

Good luck mate.

Mate, I'd be trying to secure that CCTV footage asap as some of these places overwrite it, sometimes after 24hrs or a few days. Even if the blokes paid in cash, a CCTV image will help the police. You never know, the local cops may have dealt with them before and recognise them...then one may have the jeep registered in their name.

Failing that, I'd go down to the hamberger joint about the same time and wait.....chances are the will return, then I'd get the rego and take that to the cops.

Good luck mate.

+100 dooode that is freakin horrible, I feel terrible for you. I would have been a atom bomb going off in the parking lot. Check the footage, they may even have some of the parking lot.

If this was recent, you might be able to ask neighboring businesses for security footage which could have caught them from other angles. What city are you in? We'll have a Texas rally and fan out and search the whole town for them!:cowboy:

This totally sucks! Unless you are willing to leave your GoPro on the bike I have no suggestions.

You could get an alarm with a perimeter sensor and a remote that can notify you when the bike is being disturbed. Though it may not deter vandals it may get you to the bike to ID the perps. Of course if the were to hear the alarm being set as you walked in or saw the flashing LES indicator they may not have messed with it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know the feeling - some scumbag tried to steal my CBR600F3 at Daytona during Bike Week in '04, but didn't see the Kryptonite disk lock. When they tried to roll it away, disk lock hit the fork leg and down it went - they took off, leaving it laying there for me to find.

Cost plenty - mirror, turn signals, alternator cover, side fairing and some other pieces ~$600 in parts alone. At least it didn't hit the tank....

Hope you can do some good finding whose behind this, good luck!

Thanks guys - I was pretty furious! The policeman told me to calm down twice. When I finished with the report the policeman said "We will go look for them". I said "I will go help you".
Unfortunately - the way the parking lot is mapped out there are no other cameras on that area.
Brad - I had thought about a GoPro and trying to leave it running. IDK if this is a good option or not but after getting hit twice in 3 months I think I'm going to look at finally buying some kind of camera.

What about the employee who initially made the comment in the first place?

Have they offered anything substantial? Nervous or the boss on the phone? Ruled out as suspects?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

What about the employee who initially made the comment in the first place?

Have they offered anything substantial? Nervous or the boss on the phone? Ruled out as suspects?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You caught that too. It bothered me right from the beginning.

WhataburgerFZ1improved-1.jpg

This angle would allow the cash register attendant to have a clear view of the parking lot. IN FACT - what an unusual question that he asked me:
"Did your bike fall down?"
Why would he ask that? Someone hit my bike in between the time that I parked, walked in and placed my order. The attendant was at the register during that time. I bet you he saw something

Last edited:
A thing called Carcam. I bought a cheapy from china for about $70 Aussie. You can set them for motion sensor. It will cost a fair bit for a (I think it was) Class 6 SD card with lots of storage though. Also not sure with a bike which way you would point it? The quality of recording is also a bit sketchy but not as bad as you'd think for the price.

A thing called Carcam. I bought a cheapy from china for about $70 Aussie. You can set them for motion sensor. It will cost a fair bit for a (I think it was) Class 6 SD card with lots of storage though. Also not sure with a bike which way you would point it? The quality of recording is also a bit sketchy but not as bad as you'd think for the price.

NICE!!! Thanks - I will look into this.
No I don't think it will work for the bike but since my car was hit 3 months earlier - I thought I should look around for something.
This Car Cam has an HD version now. There are a bunch of YouTube video also. It is definitely worth checking out for my car.

the bike fell to the right , the curb is on the left , something seems ...:confused:

Not sure what's confusing?
I pulled into the parking space facing forward. Meaning my front tire was facing the building. The black car backed out and turned toward Hwy 377 to exit the parking lot. The Jeep must have hit my bike in the rear tire area (on the passenger side) and spun the bike about 45 degrees as it was following the same route as the black car. My bike was lying on it's side.

The black car was pulling out as I was going into the store. There were 2 guys sitting in the Jeep as I was going into Whataburger to get something to eat. That Jeep was the only car in the parking lot when I was going inside. The cashier asked me about my bike about 1 minute later (maybe less).

WhataburgerFZ1improved2.jpg

The curb really doesn't come into play as my bike never hit it. My FZ1 was lying flat on the ground.

I bought the supposedly HD version but I'd say a cheap copy. Not really up there in clarity but okay. Good enough for me as I use it for "insurance" I drive semis and think sooner or later someone is going to do something really stupid in front of me.

And now we all know why the old jeep has a cow catcher grill gaurd on it, to run bikes over. :spank2: your lucky you didn't see it happen because you probaby would have killed him like everyone else. Thats my I'll disk lock my bike every time, and bought an alarm....:dump:

Your very correct Xlerat! In fact my first thought was to hop on the bike (try to start it and go after him)!! :box:
I'm glad to hear some feedback from the HD version. Do you think it's good enough quality to read someone's license plate? Doe's the lighting have to be "just right" or your stuck?

Your very correct Xlerat! In fact my first thought was to hop on the bike (try to start it and go after him)!! :box:
I'm glad to hear some feedback from the HD version. Do you think it's good enough quality to read someone's license plate? Doe's the lighting have to be "just right" or your stuck?
I'll try to remember to bring home the SD card tomorrow and check out the plate thing. Might be able to post a video from it especially if something interesting happens. (Last Sydney trip I was doing 40kph climbing and an idiot went past me via the breakdown lane doing about 120kph in an old clunker!) Forgot to pull the card though so its wiped over.

Back