Do I go with the 2006 or 2007?

I am new here. I currently ride a 2006 FZ6 and will be replacing it with ether a 2006 or 2007 FZ1. Here is where I could use an opinion. Both bikes have low miles and are in excellent condition. The 07 has 3200 miles the 06' has 6000miles. The asking price of the 07 is $5500 and the 06 is $5200. I suspect there is some best offer price below these numbers. Is there much difference between the two model years? Both have colors I like 07 is black and the 06 is red.

I would do the same thing I did in your shoes. Write it down. Pro's and con's for each bike.

06.. has a stiffer rear spring (100lb's diffrence) and some say has a harsh ride.
For me (280lbs.) I wanted the extra stiffness. So it was a plus.

06.. was the first year of FI and seems to need the FCE (Ivan's Fuel cut eliminater) so that on off throtle you don't get that jurky feeling. on the 07 it's a bit better, but still can be a problem. Look up the thread for more info.

The 07 with less miles will have a better resale.

Black is very very pretty, BUT it shows EVERYTHING. I may end up polishing the paint off my bike trying to keep it clean. But Dam it looks nice when it is clean.

Just remember. Ether way you go, Your going to have lots of freaking fun!:sport12:

I looked at wikipedia on the FZ1 and it has a history of revisions you may want to look at:

Yamaha FZ1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since 2007 it looks like no technical changes until 2010

I have a 2008 Red FZ1 and I am just getting to use it now, purchased it in December 2009. Its a bike I would recommend taking a serious look at, I am glad I have one.

I'm going with Coz's assesment. Based on the wicopedia showing the revision for the FI peculiarity, which was again addressed in 08?-09? You'r going to probbably ride the jebus out of it, so resale might not be too much of a concern...........answer....get the 07....

Last edited:
private seller/stealer?

are there mods that you would consider doing anyway that are already in place?

If they are pretty evenly matched, pay the 300.00 difference, get the '07, becasue lower miles and chances are you'll be spending another 300.00 for a PCIII with either model year. They addressed some of the snatchiness with the throttle that was found in the '06 in the '07 model year, but a PCIII takes the FZ to another playing field.

Rear shocks are not the best and they cannot be rebuilt for appropriate valving internally. The only option one has is installing a heavier coil spring if you tip the scales past 160lbs if you want to stay stock. Some have retrofit an R1 shock to the Gen II, which can be rebuilt, and of course there is always aftermarket.

But coming from the FZ6, you may want to wait a month or two to become acquainted with your new steed before you start maximizing potential.

Last edited:
These guys have all made excellent points and covered what I'd tell you. The only thing I'll add is that the '06 is over priced and the '07 is the better deal. I'm betting you can negotiate that price even lower too.

Tell him your sorry, and don't mean to insult him, but all you have is $5,100, but you might be able to scrape up one hundered more, and for him not to loose your number incase he has no luck.......odds are he'll call you back in a couple hours or couple days.

I picked up an '06 with 5,250 miles a month ago for $4500 and they're selling new 08's for under $7000 at a dealer in Minnesota. With the reports of cracked frame welds on a few 06's and the improved ECU of the 07....I'd buy the '07 if I had a choice.

Thanks for the info...

Thanks guys. All good things to consider. I am going to bargain for the 2007. The bike is owned by a private party and is in really clean shape. It is bone stock. I will work something out then post my results after the dust settles. By the way, do you know anyone that wants to buy a low mileage FZ6?

Last edited:
Happy days are here!!!

Congrats on the new (to you) scooter! I just joined the FZ1 Ranks this week myself!:sport12: I got a 2003 with 15000 miles on it for 4 grand. It sounds to me like you got a very good deal. I'm not familar with the Gen II's but knowing Yamaha it's an excellent mount!:wow:

Have fun out there!

Earl
03 FZ1

8<
Rear shocks are not the best and they cannot be rebuilt for appropriate valving internally. The only option one has is installing a heavier coil spring if you tip the scales past 160lbs if you want to stay stock. Some have retrofit an R1 shock to the Gen II, which can be rebuilt, and of course there is always aftermarket.

8<

Just to inform, but Aftershocks-Suspension.com can mod the rear shock to work better for $250. I testing the one setup right now. I'm about to test out how it handles with my wife as a passenger.

Loosenut
AKA Mike Baxter

best of luck, let me know how it turns out. Sources that I've used say that it cannot be rebuilt and either retrofit or aftermarket.

but what do I know, I'm a Gen I owner which I do know that its rear shock can be rebuilt and new spring for under three bills.

hey, I have the 06, bought new in oct 07, now has 53k miles of twisties.

Rock solid bike. All mods, but only changed the oil (many times) and filter a couple times. Hyper shock, love the forks.

I don't know if the 07 is different, but you'll rock the 06 for sure. My background is mostly dirt and a couple sport bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back