Devil's highway - 2014

Only two weeks to go, I can't wait!

Trip date: May 9 - 12th.

This thread will serve as the ride report for my upcoming trip to the "Coronado Trail Scenic Byway" in Arizona, better known as the "Devil's Highway" or "Devil's Spine".

P1010045.jpg

The highway runs on Highway 191 between Alpine, AZ in the north (sitting at 8000ft elevation) and Clifton, AZ in the south sitting at 3700ft elevation.

The road features something like 1100 corners in 93 miles.

DEVILSHIGHWAY-3.jpg

The spine is seemingly popular with motorcyclist only.

Think of Deals Gap but 6x as long with zero tourist and (practically?) no law enforcement (on the spine itself at least). The Arizona deportment of tourism reports that several hundred tourist travel the road each year.

Yep! No semi trucks, no RVs, no traffic, just the occasional motorcycle!

If it wasn't a 650 mile ride just to get to the top of the spine I would do it more often than once per year!

This year's trip will by my 4th. My first trip was in 2008 on my R1 and I returned in 2012 on my FZ6 and 2013 on my FJR.

4 trips, 4 years, 4 bikes. Quiet fun!

Two videos from the 2012 trip can be found here (on my FZ6)

In the first video, the first half is Colorado, specifically million dollar highway. The Devil's Highway actually starts at the 4 minute mark, after a stop by the local sheriff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljkXdOmMinI

Second video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBzdhN0-jlQ

Here's a link, I encourage you to zoom in, especially around Clifton to see the curves...

http://mapq.st/1ih1Qlq

This year's trip will be done over 4 days and will total around 1700 miles. We'll have 4 riders. My buddy Jeff and I will ride down to Alpine in (hopefully) a single 650 mile shot from Colorado Springs and two of his friends will trailer their bikes to Alpine, AZ.

Having a truck is handy because crashing here means crashing 800 miles from home and the area is fairly remote with only the (very small) towns of Alpine and Clifton to offer service.

The idea is to ride to Alpine on day 1, spend days 2 and 3 riding the spine and day 4 riding home.

As a bonus, the ride there and back takes us through one of my other favorite roads, the million dollar highway.

Counting down!

Clovis

the local SV folks I ride with tend to do this just about every year, several of us more than once per year. It is usually our annual AZ SV Rally.

I seriously love the riding out there, i was a little slower on the heavier FZ1, but it is just ridiculous on the little SV.

I'm not sure if we are going this year, we are currently planning to go back to CO in September instead of Alpine. But a couple folks will be heading out the 17th i think.

Have a good trip!

Well, how was it??? Are you going to do a ride report ??? And more importantly, got any pictures?

On the eve of the trip, the weather forecast deterioated to the point that going meant riding on Sunday and Monday in the rain/snow.

So rather then cancel the trip, we changed the destination to Taos, NM and the route. Had 2 great days of riding.

I'm hoping we can get a good shot again sometime late June. =/

I heard you guys were still getting snow! Considering Pikes Peak Hillclimb is only a month away, I wonder if it's going to warm up in time!

Keep us posted on the next departure date, hopefully with less snow this time :)

Oh, it will!

The last two Junes the state has caught on fire...

Colorado Springs (where I live in particular) had the Waldo Canyon fire in 2012 (352 or so homes lost) and 2013 had Black Forrest (500+ homes burned to the ground).

May and April are always weird months because we'll have 70 degree weather one day, snow the next... sometimes all in the same day.

Going riding today... high is around 80 degrees.

By June it's settled into being warm and that spring rain/snow goes away... hence the last 2 years it's burned after weeks without rain.

I heard you guys were still getting snow! Considering Pikes Peak Hillclimb is only a month away, I wonder if it's going to warm up in time!

Keep us posted on the next departure date, hopefully with less snow this time :)

Oh, it will!

The last two Junes the state has caught on fire...

Colorado Springs (where I live in particular) had the Waldo Canyon fire in 2012 (352 or so homes lost) and 2013 had Black Forrest (500+ homes burned to the ground).

May and April are always weird months because we'll have 70 degree weather one day, snow the next... sometimes all in the same day.

Going riding today... high is around 80 degrees.

By June it's settled into being warm and that spring rain/snow goes away... hence the last 2 years it's burned after weeks without rain.

Well lets hope the wildfires are far and few between this season for everyone's sake. Safe riding!

Back