Dealing with tolls

i apologize in advance if this has already been a thread of the past, but i did a search before posting and couldn't find one. how do you guys deal with tolls? i used to just keep the money in my glove (against my palm/wrist) and pull it out and pay on the mass pike or other toll roads that i knew about in advance. what about you? does anyone use e-z pass and if so where do you put it, can it be read through a jacket pocket or something? also, how do you get one and does it cost you monthly or do you only pay it when you use it? and can 1 e-z- pass be registered to 2 different vehicles? (a car and a bike) i have heard of people taking the e-z pass out of the e-z pass registered vehicle, and getting in trouble when they used it in a friends car. thoughts? thanks

In Norway motorcycles goes for free. The reason for this was a big protest against toll on motorcycles many years ago. Hundres of motorcyclists drow down, the first one stopped at the manual payment, took of his glows, open the jacket, got the wallet, found a huge bill, got lots of change back, put everything in the wallet, put the wallet back, closed the jacket, put on the glows and then multiply this with a few hundred...

Needless to say, the queue was huge withing a few minutes and the manual payment was out of change. After that there was only one new toll company that tried toll on motorcycles but only for a day or two. You might already have guessed what happend...

In Norway motorcycles goes for free. The reason for this was a big protest against toll on motorcycles many years ago. Hundres of motorcyclists drow down, the first one stopped at the manual payment, took of his glows, open the jacket, got the wallet, found a huge bill, got lots of change back, put everything in the wallet, put the wallet back, closed the jacket, put on the glows and then multiply this with a few hundred...

Needless to say, the queue was huge withing a few minutes and the manual payment was out of change. After that there was only one new toll company that tried toll on motorcycles but only for a day or two. You might already have guessed what happend...

hahaha that's an interesting story

i apologize in advance if this has already been a thread of the past, but i did a search before posting and couldn't find one. how do you guys deal with tolls? i used to just keep the money in my glove (against my palm/wrist) and pull it out and pay on the mass pike or other toll roads that i knew about in advance. what about you? does anyone use e-z pass and if so where do you put it, can it be read through a jacket pocket or something? also, how do you get one and does it cost you monthly or do you only pay it when you use it? and can 1 e-z- pass be registered to 2 different vehicles? (a car and a bike) i have heard of people taking the e-z pass out of the e-z pass registered vehicle, and getting in trouble when they used it in a friends car. thoughts? thanks

I have E-ZPass for the car and motorcycles. I have two different tags so I never have to remove the one for the car to use on the motorcycle. There is no extra charge for the additional tags. Here in NJ they charge you $1/month maintenance fee + actual tolls. I have it linked to a cc so when the balance gets low it just automatically replenishes. When riding I put my E-ZPass tag in the clear map pocket of my tank bag and it works well for the most part. Not sure that it would read it properly if you had it in the pocket of your jacket. Hope this helps...

I have E-ZPass for the car and motorcycles. I have two different tags so I never have to remove the one for the car to use on the motorcycle. There is no extra charge for the additional tags. Here in NJ they charge you $1/month maintenance fee + actual tolls. I have it linked to a cc so when the balance gets low it just automatically replenishes. When riding I put my E-ZPass tag in the clear map pocket of my tank bag and it works well for the most part. Not sure that it would read it properly if you had it in the pocket of your jacket. Hope this helps...
it does help very much with the e-z pass information.

did more research and opened an e-z pass account. i use the mass pike every once in a while and go up to maine in the summer and winter, so this seems like a good idea. my roommate just made fun of me because i've never had one. he told me to "get off my ass with an e-z pass". i mean he could have just said "get with the times" and i would have understood!

In Texas we have the TxTag. It is the same as the EZ Pass or Sun Pass (Florida). LOL I did a wright up on a product called the Photo Blocker to explain my experiences with toll tags. LOL It is a spray that is suppose to block your license plate from being photographed. I did it in response to getting some outrageous toll bills and late fees. Here is the wright up.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/product-reviews/8324-photoblocker-traffic-toll-camera-spray.html

Where I got cross with the toll cameras was the option that allows you to drive right through the camera and let them send you a bill in the mail. I don't even want to go through that experience again so I will let you read it above. The bottom line is that it is a lot easier to buy a toll pass like this.

IMAG0378.jpg

I went to Twistedthrottle.com and bought a toll tag holder.

IMAG0379.jpg

It is OK but not great. The main problem is that you have to make something to hold the tag inside. The cut is about 7/8 of an inch deep while the tag itself is paper thin. This creates a huge gap that you will need fill or the tag will go flying out at hiway speeds. I folded several sheets of paper to push the tag against the retaining bar on the front. It really wasn't a great set up so I called the company that enforces the Tx Tag and they told me that as long as I have the tag with me it should read it. So I gave that a try.

I passed through the tolls with the tag in my pocket - it read it perfectly.
Next - I tried it with the tag in the space under my seat and it read it perfectly. Finally I had that tag packed in a duffel bag and it read it with no problems. No tickets - No late fees.

My conclusion is that YOU DON"T NEED A TAG HOLDER - Plus - it is SO MUCH CHEAPER to buy a toll tag. I signed up with my credit card also so that if the balance gets lower it will refill it for me. That is so much better than getting late fees or having to dig for change.

If I ever move to another state I will call the toll companies to check to see if the readers have the same capacities but I can tell you that as long as you have it on you (in Texas) - the tag readers will recognize you. You might call the toll authority in your area to see if they have the same capacities.

Last edited:
In Texas we have the TxTag. It is the same as the EZ Pass or Sun Pass (Florida). LOL I did a wright up on a product called the Photo Blocker to explain my experiences with toll tags. LOL It is a spray that is suppose to block your license plate from being photographed. I did it in response to getting some outrageous toll bills and late fees. Here is the wright up.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/product-reviews/8324-photoblocker-traffic-toll-camera-spray.html

Where I got cross with the toll cameras was the option that allows you to drive right through the camera and let them send you a bill in the mail. I don't even want to go through that experience again so I will let you read it above. The bottom line is that it is a lot easier to buy a toll pass like this.

IMAG0378.jpg

I went to Twistedthrottle.com and bought a toll tag holder.

IMAG0379.jpg

It is OK but not great. The main problem is that you have to make something to hold the tag inside. The cut is about 7/8 of an inch deep while the tag itself is paper thin. This creates a huge gap that you will need fill or the tag will go flying out at hiway speeds. I folded several sheets of paper to push the tag against the retaining bar on the front. It really wasn't a great set up so I called the company that enforces the Tx Tag and they told me that as long as I have the tag with me it should read it. So I gave that a try.

I passed through the tolls with the tag in my pocket - it read it perfectly.
Next - I tried it with the tag in the space under my seat and it read it perfectly. Finally I had that tag packed in a duffel bag and it read it with no problems. No tickets - No late fees.

My conclusion is that it is SO MUCH CHEAPER to buy a toll tag. I signed up with my credit card also so that if the balance gets lower it will refill it for me. That is so much better than getting late fees or having to dig for change.

If I ever move to another state I will call the toll companies to check to see if the readers have the same capacities but I can tell you that as long as you have it on you (in Texas) - the tag readers will recognize you. You might call the toll authority in your area to see if they have the same capacities.

thanks for the information. the tag holder you got looks, and sounds like its made for the e-z pass type tags. they are not paper thing, and are about the size of a wallet or so which looks like would fit snug in the holder.

thanks for the information. the tag holder you got looks, and sounds like its made for the e-z pass type tags. they are not paper thing, and are about the size of a wallet or so which looks like would fit snug in the holder.

Thank you for helping me figure out why this sucker is cut so deep. LOL Your exactly right. It is made for the EZ Pass.

EZPass.jpg

That looks like it will fit right inside the holder that I have.
I have played around with cutting out some Styrofoam insert to make it fit. I just never got around to it.

Last edited:
Here in socal, I usually put it in the top of my backpack, or if I don't have my pack that day, I usually put it in on the backside of my jacket where I have a pouch/sleeve that holds the jackets armor. I have yet to get a letter from the toll roads, and I usually go through 4 -6 times a week.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All of the toll roads i n North Texas have gone boothless. You either get a toll tag or have your picture taken and they send you a bill. You do pay more for this service. Don't be late on that bill either or you will pay big for the late charges. A harley guy taught me a little trick for the bike, ride the lane marker. They cant take your picture because you do not trigger the sensors. I don't take toll roads that often yet, they are all on the Dallas side of the metroplex, but for the handful of times I have on the motorcycle, I have not received a bill.

You do not need a holder at all. I also do not recommend trying to defeat the system. You will eventually get caught and pay even bigger.

Just put it in your jacket pocket or tank bag. It will read just fine. ...and if it does not, they already have your license and know you are subscribed.

When I ride in to the office in the morning I wear a military grade yellow reflective vest and place my toll tag in one of th evest pockets. In daylight I just place it in my tank bag and it always reads. Never had a single warning either way. In Houston we get a discount for using the tag over going through the change booth.

You do not need a holder at all. Just put it in your jacket pocket or tank bag. It will read just fine. ...and if it does not, they already have your license and know you are subscribed.

When I ride in to the office in the morning I wear a military grade yellow vest and place my toll tag in one of th evest pockets. In daylight I just place it in my tank bag and it always reads. Never had a single warning either way.

good to know. thanks for the input.

A harley guy taught me a little trick for the bike, ride the lane marker. They cant take your picture because you do not trigger the sensors. I don't take toll roads that often yet, they are all on the Dallas side of the metroplex, but for the handful of times I have on the motorcycle, I have not received a bill.

Nice!!!
LOL
I still have a bone to pick for the late charges these guys sent me. LOL Looks like I will be riding the stripe the next time I go under the toll cameras!! WOOOHOOO!!!!!
:woot::woot: :sinister:

Last edited:
I have my EZPASS mounted down low on the inside of the screen with the velcro supplied with the tag. It's been there for at least 2 yrs without an issue. The tag holders also work great.

got my e-z pass in the mail and tried to add my bike on it, thought it's not registered yet (until tomorrow hopefully) i am transferring my plates over though , so i have all the info to add it. anyway, i was filling out the vehicle information and i went to select make and a hundred different makes of bikes and cars popped up, with no yamaha option. the list ended with "winnebago, WSTR, and YUGO" no yamaha to be found. anyone else have a NY e-z pass and run into this problem?

got my e-z pass in the mail and tried to add my bike on it, thought it's not registered yet (until tomorrow hopefully) i am transferring my plates over though , so i have all the info to add it. anyway, i was filling out the vehicle information and i went to select make and a hundred different makes of bikes and cars popped up, with no yamaha option. the list ended with "winnebago, WSTR, and YUGO" no yamaha to be found. anyone else have a NY e-z pass and run into this problem?

In NJ there is no Yamaha either. Instead there is a Motorcycle option (abbreviated [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MCYCLE). Hope this helps...[/FONT]

In NJ there is no Yamaha either. Instead there is a Motorcycle option (abbreviated [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MCYCLE). Hope this helps...[/FONT]

i'll have to check it out again. it has the motorcycle option, but then wants you to pick a make. no yamaha, very weird. i might just call them and have them do it rather than try it online again.

I do the same thing.

Back