Cruise Control

electrical installation

Ok, I think I have it working "ok" now. I feel slight oscillation at 40mph, but that might actually be 36mph given the stock speedometer inflated value, it sets at about 31mph for whatever that is worth. I'm going to install a speedoDRD before I put this all together this weekend. But it feels really good considering how it started. The 55k pulses per mile didn't seem to be correct for me, I would estimate more like 98k. Maybe they changed the ppm in the latter gen2 bikes? My bike is a 2014. My sprockets appear to be stock 17/45 teeth. So here are some installed picks, and the schematic I finished with. I hope someone else finds this useful!

oh, and one other thing I reversed was I found I didn't need the 1/8" cable slop, I ended up with as little as possible just to make sure it returned to idle.

after removing the slop things got better, and as I figured out the pulse per mile was way off things calmed down nicely.

All my wiring connectors I got off the Digi-Key site, Deutsch DTM (or Amphenol), the 20-22awg crimper can be had for $35 on ebay so this seemed the most economical route for quality connections.

Either way, it runs great at the target 55mph and higher. 40mph is possible but you just have to make sure your in a higher gear to dampen the oscillating. In fact I had one stretch of road where I was just fine at a 35mph set speed. Time will tell with some more testing but I'm quite happy so far.

fz1-cruise.png

20190507_225916.jpg

20190505_141021.jpg

20190505_141043.jpg

20190505_153949.jpg

Attachments

• fz1-cruise.png
    fz1-cruise.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 26
  • all parts.pdf
    454.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Either way, it runs great at the target 55mph and higher. 40mph is possible but you just have to make sure your in a higher gear to dampen the oscillating. In fact I had one stretch of road where I was just fine at a 35mph set speed. Time will tell with some more testing but I'm quite happy so far.

Given its been over a year, any updates on how reliable this was and if it was worth it over a crampbuster/throttlelock?

Back