Crested Butte, Co ride

Guess it's that time of year for me to post up my annual fall color ride pictures.
So, John and I decided to try a little "off the paved road" riding....so we took a few days off and headed to Crested Butte, Co. with the Yamaha XT225 and his KTM 450. We had purchased this elaborate map from REI (sporting goods type store), but failed to notice the small details on the legend, our 1st mistake.
Monday started out great, nothing I couldn't handle.....till we turned onto a road called Reno Divide.....that was my first of 3 crashes. I misjudged a corner and bam, I went down with the bike landing on my foot...actually my toes, I think they all touched the top of my foot, not good, it took 30 mins or so before I could even try to wiggle them.
Our 2nd f-up was a trail called Italian Creek.....this trail, in a one word = BRUTAL! I thought we were gonna die up there. At times we were at tree line and more than once John had to ride my bike thru some really bad spots because I was unable to put my foot down. :(
Enough whinning....here's a few pictures:

Tuesday was more to my liking.....at least we had no rock hopping involved! Rode over Kebler & Ohio Pass......except for a little rain, it was a good day.
The last 2 pics of my dirty bike & feet, um Lee, am I doing it right yet? ;)

You Go!!!

That looks great. You will eventually do trails that make your not-so-fun day-1 look mild. Rocky trails are tough at first, and standing on the pegs while doing the "trials" thing through them, make it much easier. It allows the bike to move around and over the obstacles better, and your legs to act as part of the suspension without your back taking all the hits. Standing also lets you pick your lines a little farther ahead as well.

It's all relative, and what seems tough now, in time won't be enough of a challenge. Glad you didn't get too hurt! Keep at it, it gets easier.

About the boots, what are you wearing? If they are street boots, get some tall MX boots( like Alpinestar Tech 8) as soon as funds allow, they can prevent a lot of injuries, but will feel awkward until you get used to them. They do make standing on the pegs more comfortable as the soles are so stiff (supportive). you are getting closer judging by the boot picture, I have included an example:

Mud.jpg

:evillaugh:

Beautiful scenery, with the colors starting to change.:cheers:

Last edited:
About the boots, what are you wearing? If they are street boots, get some tall MX boots( like Alpinestar Tech 8)
Mud.jpg

LMAO Lee. I am shopping for better boots right now!! I will probably have to go up to Denver though to try on a few sizes (after the swelling in my foot goes down)

LMAO Lee. I am shopping for better boots right now!! I will probably have to go up to Denver though to try on a few sizes (after the swelling in my foot goes down)

The Tech 8 is a man's boot, and what I use. I have litterally had the bike land on my foot (at speed) and not so much as a bruise. Your husband could get those. I didn't realise they did not make the "8" for women, but these look good; Alpinestars Women's Stella Tech 3 Boots - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

Thor makes one as well (on the same page) for a bit less money. If you can bend your toes back wearing the Alpinestars, I doubt your foot would still be attached. They have an inner boot with gel inserts over the ankle bones and a nice stiff sole. The buckles also act as armour. The height helps protect from over-extention of the foot and from lower leg breaks. I can't recomend this kind of boot enough.

Also, if you are running rubber footpegs, get rid of them in favour of Dirt-bike stlye metal toothed ones. Once you start doing wet trails and standing on the pegs, the rubber ones don't offer enough control. You will find that you do more steering with your feet and you need your foot to stay planted to those footpegs at all times.

Last edited:
I am just starting to plan next year's big trip. It will most likely come down to Colorado for a dual-sport ride in late July, early August. There is a site under construction that as the next few months go by have all sorts of interesting info, and an idea of what I am planning. Link here: COBDR - Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route

It would be great if my group could hook up for a day(or two) with you and your husband. :cheers:

Thanks Lee, the Stella is the boot I was looking at. But what I really need is just better rain protection, I have no intentions of riding thru what we ended up in on Monday, or what I just saw in your pictures in your Summer Thread :eek:

Hey Brenda, awesome photos! I'm sorry to hear about your foot. I hope it gets better soon. That is some landscape though and probably worth all the effort. Nice job! :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks Lee, the Stella is the boot I was looking at. But what I really need is just better rain protection, I have no intentions of riding thru what we ended up in on Monday, or what I just saw in your pictures in your Summer Thread :eek:

Good rain gear is always a great thing. I have 2 suits, one old Triumph 1 piece that I have had for 20 years or so that still is the best in torential all day wet rides, and tough as nails. It is hard to get into in a hurry though. The other is a Tourmaster 2 piece that is lighter and MUCH easier to get into. The leg holes are big enough (when unzipped) to pull over even the MX boots. Pretty decent suit for $100.

Yep, Pretty much (I have the Yellow and Black). Make sure you try on a one piece (while wearing the rest of your gear, including boots) before you buy. You may not like doing the Funky chicken contortionist dance trying to get into it. The 2 peice may not be as waterproof since in a hard wind or fall down water can get up under the jacket and past the top of the "oldman style" high pants with suspenders.

If you can dislocated your shoulders at will a one piece is easy to get into, after hopping around on one foot trying to get the pant leg over each boot. :eyebrow:

Guess it's that time of year for me to post up my annual fall color ride pictures.
So, John and I decided to try a little "off the paved road" riding....so we took a few days off and headed to Crested Butte, Co. with the Yamaha XT225 and his KTM 450. We had purchased this elaborate map from REI (sporting goods type store), but failed to notice the small details on the legend, our 1st mistake.
Monday started out great, nothing I couldn't handle.....till we turned onto a road called Reno Divide.....that was my first of 3 crashes. I misjudged a corner and bam, I went down with the bike landing on my foot...actually my toes, I think they all touched the top of my foot, not good, it took 30 mins or so before I could even try to wiggle them.
Our 2nd f-up was a trail called Italian Creek.....this trail, in a one word = BRUTAL! I thought we were gonna die up there. At times we were at tree line and more than once John had to ride my bike thru some really bad spots because I was unable to put my foot down. :(
Enough whinning....here's a few pictures:

Awesome! I love crested Butte. My family Skis there almost every year. Never been there in the summer though. Beautiful!

About the boots, what are you wearing? If they are street boots, get some tall MX boots( like Alpinestar Tech 8) as soon as funds allow, they can prevent a lot of injuries, but will feel awkward until you get used to them. They do make standing on the pegs more comfortable as the soles are so stiff (supportive). you are getting closer judging by the boot picture, I have included an example:

I am not spending enough time on the dual sport yet to blow big money on the gear. I went with Fly Racing Kinetic MX Boots for about $160. They are white and I cannot wait to get them really dirty. I am so jealous!

Last edited:
Nice pics, and you're braver than I am, heading out on the dirt. I'll bet the proper equipment makes a huge difference for you. Love the colors; we're just starting to get some hint of color change. Be a month before we get good colors.

Back