Crazy Thoughts.

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
Well my 2012 riding seasons is about at a end as the year closes. I managed to log almost the same amount of track miles as I have street miles this year. A combinationof a lot of trackdays and not a lot of stret miles (no big road trips this year :( ). My last two street rides just were not fun. Seems like I have had the craziest of drivers around me not to mention all the crap I see now that I ve never noticed.

Well I have been thinking about giving up street riding. Like I said I just havent really enjoyed much of my street riding lately. I dont know if its just a faze or I have really lost the love for street riding. Anyone else ever feel like this. Anyone want dibbs on the FZ?

I think you're right in some respects. If you only ride on a Sunday to get your jollies, the track is the place to go and why bother even riding on the street.

Motorcycles are simple machines but offer very complex rewards to the rider. I quite enjoy the simple pleasure of going places on my motorcycle. I like being engaged in the activity and being out there in the open air, exposed to the world. As amazing an invention the car is, I would much rather turn a one day journey by car into a two day journey by bike.

If I stopped enjoying those things, there would be no point in having a motorcycle.

I'd give it more time Johnny. Maybe plan a big trip for next year? See if the love is lost for good or not. I'd hate to see you sell the FZ1 then get bored with the track days. ;) Or, as Arnold suggests, clip-ons and track both bikes!

I'd hate to see you sell the FZ1 then get bored with the track days. ;) Or, as Arnold suggests, clip-ons and track both bikes!

I dont think it would be possible for bordom to set in. It really has become a total addiction. Next year I will have 6 tracks in a radius of 3 hours from my house and 1 of them is only 45 minutes away. Just thinking about it sets my brain on fire.:teeter: I did a total of 4000 track miles on 4 different tracks this year and will definetly increase those numbers this up coming season. After putting the Hawk down at NJMP there is no way I'm going to risk hucking the FZ1 with all I have into it.:nerd:

EEwww post 3000!!!!!

The road can be tricky. For the first time ever something happened to me that I had seen from a distance. But this time it was me. Yesterday, I went to pass a pickup that was behind a slow car and the guy SWERVED left at me! Crazy. I had to go onto the left of the opposite lane and fortunately got around. I'm still processing how he seemed to do it intentionally. I don't get it. Why road rage? Small town and I had to just keep on going and get out of there. Glad I had my eyes open, it was a surprise to see it intentional from some hillbilly.

Yet still, there is nothing like jumping on the bike on a nice day and just taking off for a ride out on the open road. For Track, you have to go when it's scheduled, when your buddy is going too, and do the prep, etc. Wonderful of course, but you can't just go whenever you want to ride either....

I would totally agree with this. After commuting for last 5 years, I am of the opinion that it is just not worth the risk in traffic and frankly commuting is boring if you are able to get a regular dose of the twisties in the form of backroads/touring or the track. I am infact planning down to strip most of the unnecessary mods from the FZ1.

I would probably feel the same way as CrazyBiker if I had to commute day in day out on slabs, stuck in traffic and sucking in exhaust fumes, surrounded by hordes of miserable commuters & horrible weather.

That kind of existence is my idea of hell :cuss:

Street to dirt

The only reason I have not bought a full blown dirt-bike is then I would have to buy a truck to get to the dirt. I lost my love of "street riding" for many of the same reasons. Commuting with the FZ was akin to commuting in a Ferrari, pointless. When it was my only bike I did it, because no matter what (like Justin refers to) it was better than the car, and always will be.

With my Dual-Sport I can take the paved roads out to the nearest gravel, or dirt and ride for hours without seeing another car or truck. Out here I am more likely to see horse back riders, or cyclists.

The thrill of riding, without the crowds of distracted drivers (that are more the norm, than the exception these days) is stronger than ever as time goes by, now that I limit my street exposure. Still lots of pavement I want to ride, but I pick my times and places.

I have heard that track riding is addictive, and so is dirt. Street riding is more a necessary evil. This is more a comment on today's drivers, not on the quality of riding available on the street.

When I have another option, like Johnny does, why put up with it when you don't have the patience for it.

I doubt that I will ever quit street riding, but I limit my exposure to today's street drivers as much as possible and have other outlets that bring me a great amount of riding pleasure. No matter what I just love riding. Like the Stones song goes, "It's a life long addiction, that has damaged my brain...", but in a good way.:evillaugh:

Last edited:
Well I have been thinking about giving up street riding. Like I said I just havent really enjoyed much of my street riding lately. I dont know if its just a faze or I have really lost the love for street riding. Anyone else ever feel like this. Anyone want dibbs on the FZ?

I'm only three years in... but for commuting, I know when my day is done at work... I'm riding, look forward to it every time (yes, even in this 30-40 deg. weather now).

I save time and gas in my commute... it's about 34 miles one way and in the car v. bike, I usually save about 10 minutes just because I am more maneuverable and able to get away from slow cars. I have about 3 ways to take from home to work, none of them really avoid the traffic.

There are days I bring the car into work and just get bummed, thinking, man it's such a good day for a ride.

I have heard several people say they gave up street riding, if going fast and leaning hard is your passion, then doing it all at the track is the way to go. No worries of tickets, gravel, sand, cars or guard rails... it usually takes someone going to the track to realize that riding that hard on the street is not "fun".

I lean more towards the touring side in my passion, I have started doing some ride-n-camps and just have a blast getting away from it all. So for me, riding the street is where it's at. I did a lunch track tour ride at Summit, I could see that being fun, but I don't have two bikes, so I don't know I'd push hard on the track. If you have the luxury of having two bikes, then you just have to realize it's two different things, and if going the speed limit :)nono:) and traveling aren't your thing, the track only option is probably the way to go.

just my rambling.... :D

I'm a 25 year licensed rider. As much as technology is a great thing it's also what I believe is killing motorcycling. I rarely get on a highway anymore. I feel that I am a above average when it concerns urban proficiencies. I try to take in as much available information as possible and have taken the MSF courses 2 consecutive years now. None of this really helps you defend yourself against the cellular connected society that surrounds us. I recently (on the highway) positioned my self in direct view of the vehicle in the lane to the right. My front wheel in about the same position as the driver (on a cell phone). Next thing I know she puts her left blinker on and moves over pushing me on the shoulder. Then looks at me like I'm at fault. Just one example of what now has become a regular occurrence. It's just getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm done with street riding too.
I logged 25,000 miles a year for the last 4 years and having my life endangered by bad driving dosen't even make me angry anymore. It happens almost every day. Some times 3-4 times a day. I will begin selling off my accessories this month and will not be renewing my registration when it comes due. I plan to put the bike up for sale in the spring. The Sargent seat is already for sale.

Also, I'm thinking it might be helpful to simply adjust your expectations. Street and track are so different. Pick your roads. I avoid interstate and major highways. There are some really great roads that need to be ridden! If you have to (and when I do) ride on a major road, adjust your expectations and deal with it.....be safe and get to the next checkpoint where you can get on a more preferred route. I still get enjoyment from throwing my leg over a bike, regardless of the route. It's a MOTORCYCLE! Ever since I was 6 yrs old on a 5hp mini-bike, I feel like I'm getting to the front line of a roller coaster. Pure fun.

Hard to believe, but if you truly no longer have ANY joy in being on a motorcycle, albeit on a non-preferred road, then perhaps you shouldn't be out there.

But I will say this, maybe you just need to explore some new roads. (??) There are some wonderful ones out in the TX Hill country ;) ;) :tup:

Back