Cracked frame

No, you're not.... because Toyota would have notified us first and scheduled replacements before it happened.

:th_smiley_rotfl2[1] No they would just have simply said that it wasn't really a crack, just like they tried to tell everyone that there really wasn't a problem with their gas pedals ;)

No, you're not.... because Toyota would have notified us first and scheduled replacements before it happened.

I don't actually know what you mean by this but unless you have been hiding under a rock Toyota is under extreme scrutiny for it’s mishandling of the “unintended acceleration” issue and here is the reason why:.

Whenever a manufacturer whom sells motor vehicles in the US which are intended to be used upon the highway, is notified by a consumer of a potential safety issue, said manufacturer is required by law to notify the NHTSA immediately. Especially of any defects that may cause injury or death. I’m sure Yamaha did so. And in doing so it becomes the NHTSA responsibility to recommend a protocol to remedy the situation.

In Yamahas case it was the NHTSA decision to replace any and all frames that show signs of fatigue or cracking. This would be done on a case-by-case issue for life of the model years affected.

It is obviously to me that this is not a life-threatening situation and therefore no recall was required.

Ride hard and long and if your bike shows any signs of fatigue or cracking, take it to an authorized Yamaha Dealer for resolution.

My 2 sense

Steve:shine:

Boy we all know how much 'stuff' is inside the engine compartment, ie. hoses, wiring, plastic, etc. etc. and on a complete frame replacement if Yamaha decides to do a switchover, boy do I pity the poor service guys at the dealerships who get the 'bichin' task.......ohh boy will they come home at the end of the day frazzeled, and dred another one showing up. How many were imported for that year to the US? and not only here, but worldwide with this flaw....?
From what I've heard they will restamp the new frame with your existing VIN. As for the wiring...there will be none on the new frame. They will literary have to transfer everything over from your existing bike. Since the bike is out of warranty I don't think the dealer will care about the PC or FCE.

I don't actually know what you mean by this but unless you have been hiding under a rock Toyota is under extreme scrutiny for it’s mishandling of the “unintended acceleration” issue and here is the reason why:.

Whenever a manufacturer whom sells motor vehicles in the US which are intended to be used upon the highway, is notified by a consumer of a potential safety issue, said manufacturer is required by law to notify the NHTSA immediately. Especially of any defects that may cause injury or death. I’m sure Yamaha did so. And in doing so it becomes the NHTSA responsibility to recommend a protocol to remedy the situation.

In Yamahas case it was the NHTSA decision to replace any and all frames that show signs of fatigue or cracking. This would be done on a case-by-case issue for life of the model years affected.

It is obviously to me that this is not a life-threatening situation and therefore no recall was required.

Ride hard and long and if your bike shows any signs of fatigue or cracking, take it to an authorized Yamaha Dealer for resolution.

My 2 sense

Steve:shine:

Steve, I'm saying that, after driving Toyota for 26 years now, I have received notifications of issues with my vehicles and had warranty/recall work done before the problem ever surfaced for me or anyone else I know driving these vehicles. Other manufacturers do not do this and it is a constant battle with them to identify an issue and even produce a recall on it.

Toyota is under scrutiny more from the media than anyone else and because of the media, the government is now involved. Toyota is doing nothing more than any other company out there. It's just that they've been handled by the media to the point they have to produce.

I've had almost no issues with any of the vehicles I've owned from them and each recall was taken care of before I noticed any problem. The one time we owned a Chevy, we had multiple issues with it that they refused to acknowledge, so we bit the bullet and ate the loss by trading it in for a Toyota.

Besides, most of the findings to date are all unsubstantiated, falsified and made up. We've got more and more people trying to get money and attention by claiming a failure and then having to relive the "Balloon Boy" incident.

How many companies have issued a recall on a vehicle and given the owners 150% of NADA value regardless of the condition? One. :shine:

None of the hype out there is going to deter me from driving Toyota, not today or any day in the future.

That is the rock I am under Steve. :D

Last edited:
When an American car maker does it there is no such hoopla and now they are after the Japenese makers. The time from which all this nonsense started I have sensed a conspiracy by american car makers to malign the japs in order to somehow improve their own sales. "If we can't beat them, we screw them"

Last edited:
Steve, I'm saying that, after driving Toyota for 26 years now, I have received notifications of issues with my vehicles and had warranty/recall work done before the problem ever surfaced for me or anyone else I know driving these vehicles. Other manufacturers do not do this and it is a constant battle with them to identify an issue and even produce a recall on it.

Toyota is under scrutiny more from the media than anyone else and because of the media, the government is now involved. Toyota is doing nothing more than any other company out there. It's just that they've been handled by the media to the point they have to produce.

I've had almost no issues with any of the vehicles I've owned from them and each recall was taken care of before I noticed any problem. The one time we owned a Chevy, we had multiple issues with it that they refused to acknowledge, so we bit the bullet and ate the loss by trading it in for a Toyota.

Besides, most of the findings to date are all unsubstantiated, falsified and made up. We've got more and more people trying to get moeny and attention by claiming a failure and then having to relive the "Balloon Boy" incident.

How many companies have issued a recall on a vehicle and given the owners 150% of NADA value regardless of the condition? One. :shine:

None of the hype out there is going to deter me from driving Toyota, not today or any day in the future.

That is the rock I am under Steve. :D

Good for you Eric. You could not have said it better. I love your dedication. I am going to forward your response to a couple of friends of mine, if that's okay. If you haven't noticed, Toyota stock has barley dipped, even in light of this massive recall/media cluster f**k. GM stock on the otherhand is down to about four bucks a share.

Makes you think, don't it? :confused0024:

Good for you Eric. You could not have said it better. I love your dedication. I am going to forward your response to a couple of friends of mine, if that's okay. If you haven't noticed, Toyota stock has barley dipped, even in light of this massive recall/media cluster f**k. GM stock on the otherhand is down to about four bucks a share.

Makes you think, don't it? :confused0024:

You sure can. I do not have any issue with you sharing it. Just my thoughts on display. I believe I wrote a blog about it here too. ;)

Sorry but to continue the threadjack....

[RANT]
There's a lot of people on the bandwagon and think that these "Jap" vehicles are the country's downfall. The truth is, these "Jap" companies employ more Americans and buy more American parts to put in their "Jap" vehicles than the so-called American car manufacturers themselves.

I may have posted it before but look at the Cars.com Top Ten American (built & content built from) made cars. Toyota has FOUR of the top ten spots. The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com

The best part is, Toyota is traded on the NYSE so anyone who says the profits are headed overseas just wasn't savy enough to buy their own piece of the pie.
[/RANT]

Just picked my bike up from the dealership, with new frame installed. I can't believe how quick and painless this whole situation turned out to be. Noticed the crack on wed the 17th dropped it off on sat the 20th that mon the 22nd they called to say a new frame was on it's way, but might take two weeks to arrive and they weren't sure how long to do the swap. However sat the 26th I got a call from the dealership "your bike is done" I had been drinking and didn't go get it then but got a ride and picked it up today mon the 29th. That's only 12 days from noticing the crack 'til riding home with a brand new frame at no cost to me, but the paper work says 1094.48 parts and 1155.70 labor $2250.18 total. Good job by the guys at C&C sports in brighton, MI

Just picked my bike up from the dealership, with new frame installed. I can't believe how quick and painless this whole situation turned out to be. Noticed the crack on wed the 17th dropped it off on sat the 20th that mon the 22nd they called to say a new frame was on it's way, but might take two weeks to arrive and they weren't sure how long to do the swap. However sat the 26th I got a call from the dealership "your bike is done" I had been drinking and didn't go get it then but got a ride and picked it up today mon the 29th. That's only 12 days from noticing the crack 'til riding home with a brand new frame at no cost to me, but the paper work says 1094.48 parts and 1155.70 labor $2250.18 total. Good job by the guys at C&C sports in brighton, MI

That is incredible! Glad to hear it! I'd order a bunch of pizzas for them as a thanks! ;)

That's not bad at all! So does the new frame have the same serial number as the cracked one? Just curious...

HOLY COW, that may be the FASTEST frame replacements I have seen in the last 3 years since the cracked frames were first reported.

Last edited:
That's not bad at all! So does the new frame have the same serial number as the cracked one? Just curious...

Yea, in fact I was a little worried about winding up with some salvage or builders title but thats not the case, no problems yet.

Does it matter if there was a warranty remaining or not? The frame issue was part of a recall, no? If that's the case, does warranty status still matter?

Back