cops chase biker

Wow that trooper is lucky to be alive!!! It's a good thing they were able to get him out in time.

And I agree. Chasing a sport bike is dangerous for everybody, but you really just can't let them get away with speeding like that either. I suppose it's not an easy decision either way.

Just recently I had two sport bikes pass me within about 3-4" of my driver's side mirror as I was slowly moving in traffic. They were running away from the cops. I don't know the outcome, but they were splitting lanes at well over 60 MPH more than what traffic was moving at. It could have been disastrous for all involved...

Sorry it happened to the guy but he was driving a car beyond his limits and should not attempt to chase sportbikers. Glad he is eventually going to be OK!

If I was the biker, I'd be hoping that the camera did not get the plate then dig out some bright colored rattle cans and paint the bike and helmet neon yellow.

I'm not a highway person and spend most of my time on less populated back roads. The nice thing about PA is only State Troopers have radar and locals do not. Ive seen lights go on in my mirror but usually get turned off.

I don't promote running from the police and as you stated a chase sometimes ends badly(even for those not involved). Police are not suppose to give chase to anyone unless its a life or death situation. I remember 60 minutes doing a essay on this a number of years back, It wasn't about motorcycles but about the tragedy that happen durning police chases. Lots of innocent people affected by a perpetrator and a determined officer. I believe the stand point of the investigative report was police a more effective tool to use known as the radio and the chase itself is just a officer being overly emotional.

I'm not pointing the finger at the police here, the root cause of the problem is the driver/rider but it has been proven that the radio is more effective that trying to run down someone who is giving chase.

I agree that the biker does not need to be free to speed any time he feels like it but the cop should have used his radio. If he had used the radio they may have been able to head the biker off and not put himself and the public in danger.

I agree that the biker does not need to be free to speed any time he feels like it but the cop should have used his radio. If he had used the radio they may have been able to head the biker off and not put himself and the public in danger.

From reading the article, apparently there was another responding officer. They ended up pulling him from the burning car. It's hard to say how it happened without more information. But, they are going to look at the dashboard video and if the rider is on it, he's screwed. The trooper didn't have a complete description, so only video evidence will matter. If it really was in a residential neighborhood, like is discussed in the comments, that is a totally botched situation. It was at 4am, so limited visibility.

Last edited:
But, they are going to look at the dashboard video and if the rider is on it, he's screwed.

The cop ignored his training and let his testosterone take over his brain. As said above the radio was the best choice. The video camera more then likely is burnt up. I think that the most that they can charge him with is speeding and evading arrest, may reckless driving. He can simply say that he didn't hear the cop over the exhaust noise. We have had a couple dumb cops kill themselves locally by driving to fast for conditions.

The bottom line is, basically, was that speeding ticket really worth all that? What if he had been killed? Totally not worth what can happen. And hopefully that biker didn't see him crash. Because he's a terrible human being if he did and kept riding. Someone in a really bad situation like that, fearing a ticket or jail, how can you just leave him there???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom line is, basically, was that speeding ticket really worth all that? What if he had been killed? Totally not worth what can happen. And hopefully that biker didn't see him crash. Because he's a terrible human being if he did and kept riding. Someone in a really bad situation like that, fearing a ticket or jail, how can you just leave him there???

I hear you, but that biker was only concerned with one thing and that was getting away from the cops. People do irrational things all the time...:(

Man, I can't believe all this sympathy for the cop. He was a fool that was driving way over his head creating a bad situation. He got what he asked for -- IMHO.

We have laws here in GA. that a cop can't chase a bike but they do it anyway.

The biker usually gets the raw end of this deal. Having this happen is a good warning to other cops to use their head a little more and their radio.

Why is everyone saying chasing a sportbike is dangerous, when instead you should be asking why didn't the biker stop? What makes it ok for a biker to speed away? Just because he/she's faster than a car?

Man, I can't believe all this sympathy for the cop. He was a fool that was driving way over his head creating a bad situation. He got what he asked for -- IMHO.

We have laws here in GA. that a cop can't chase a bike but they do it anyway.

The biker usually gets the raw end of this deal. Having this happen is a good warning to other cops to use their head a little more and their radio.

While I agree that the machoism of the cop was overboard, and he attempted to out drive his skills, and shouldn't have continued pursuit because it made the situation dangerous, the bike shouldn't have ran. And just because he ran, and was afraid of a ticket, is no reason to leave someone seriously injured or in a dangerous situation. It wasn't that important in the big scheme of things.

While I agree that the machoism of the cop was overboard, and he attempted to out drive his skills, and shouldn't have continued pursuit because it made the situation dangerous, the bike shouldn't have ran. And just because he ran, and was afraid of a ticket, is no reason to leave someone seriously injured or in a dangerous situation. It wasn't that important in the big scheme of things.

Don't you understand -- the biker was a little busy speeding to realize what happened to the cop. He probably had no idea until he heard it on the news.

The cop ignored his training and let his testosterone take over his brain. As said above the radio was the best choice. The video camera more then likely is burnt up. I think that the most that they can charge him with is speeding and evading arrest, may reckless driving. He can simply say that he didn't hear the cop over the exhaust noise. We have had a couple dumb cops kill themselves locally by driving to fast for conditions.

+100 That said it all.

Don't you understand -- the biker was a little busy speeding to realize what happened to the cop. He probably had no idea until he heard it on the news.

OH! Riiiight, I forgot about that. So he was never looking in his mirrors to check on the cops progress of chasing him. Got it.

Why is everyone saying chasing a sportbike is dangerous, when instead you should be asking why didn't the biker stop? What makes it ok for a biker to speed away? Just because he/she's faster than a car?

I think we all agree that the biker was in the wrong by speeding and running. I just find it stupid to endanger the public and yourself just to give a biker a speeding ticket. When the cop saw the biker run he should have used his radio and got help knowing that he cant keep up with a sport bike.

Sorry --- You have obviously never ridden fast.

I've been in this situation before and once along time ago and once with Amevl. Where after I and or we stopped to just hang out for a minute a cop would roll up and the lecture would begin.

The cops shouldnt chase but I think we are all old enough and hopefull smart enough to know that we may create the situation. I hope that your example is true and he did not know there was a incident behind him.

Back