Coolant drain plug broke

So, I drained and flushed the coolant in my 2008 FZ1.
I finger tightened the coolant drain plug bolt and was just starting to tighten it some more with the socket and the bolt head broke off in the socket. The bolt was not cross threaded, the bolt just broke off. I had just barely started to tighten it with the socket, strange. I spent some time and was fortunately able to get the bolt completely out of the hole for the bolt. I had visions of having to get the bike towed down to the dealer but I don't think that is needed now since the bolt is completely out.

My questions are these:

1. Is it possible that the coolant that the bolt is exposed to weakens the bolt such that it needs to be replaced each time?

2. Where can I get a replacement bolt? Can I get one from Home Depot or Lowe's or do I need to get one from Yamaha through the dealer?

Thanks.

Me thinks it was just a bad bolt. Not sure of the size but just bring the threaded section to HD or Lowes and match it up, make sure you still use the brass washer.

Thanks for the info on the other forum about this bolt braking for others. It took me a while but I was able to get the remaining part of the bolt out.

I am going to get a replacement bolt from the dealer. I am concerned about the new bolt threading correctly. Probably the next time I do the coolant on the bike, I will remove the hose that connects to the pipe where the drain bolt is located. Thanks for the suggestions.

So, what do you do if the bolt breaks off in the pipe? How is the best way to get it out?

After reading about this happening, I can't believe I just did it! I had already done the 2 flushes last night and was just ready to put in the coolant.

So, what do you do if the bolt breaks off in the pipe? How is the best way to get it out?

After reading about this happening, I can't believe I just did it! I had already done the 2 flushes last night and was just ready to put in the coolant.

Don't know of any other way than to drill it out. You can try to use some sort of bolt extractor as well, but sometimes those will break off too and then it's a even bigger pain since now you have to drill it out as well and they are very hard.

I stopped using extractors after dealing with one that snapped off, especially in small stuff.

I've had better luck with left handed drill bits. When the drill starts getting a 'bite' into the broken screw, bolt or whatever, that's usually about when the broken piece backs out.

I had my valves checked by a local bike shop. Good news is that they were all within spec. Bad news is that after I got the bike back, it was leaking a tiny bit of coolant from the coolant drain bolt. I knew that the shop had removed the radiator to check the valves, so it was obvious what the "root cause" of the problem was. I stopped at the shop this afternoon and showed the owner. I also explained that the bolt was a known problem on these bikes.

He grabbed a wrench and gently tried to put a little more torque on it. It didn't break off, but didn't tighten either. Best guess is that something stripped. The leak is actually a little more pronounced after he tried to tighten the bolt.

Question is, do the bolt threads strip (because the bolt is crappy material), or does it strip out the threads where it screws into the pipe? He's guessing that it's the pipe and said he'd order a new one. I've got a pretty good relationship with this guy, and I don't want him to replace something that doesn't need replacing (under warranty).

So, a quick update. I couldn't leave it alone. My son is at Grandma's house, and I really wanted to go for a ride, so I decided to see if it was indeed that the bolt had stripped or not. I put a wrench on it and very gently tried to back it out. Bolt head snapped off with almost no pressure. I spent a few minutes trying to drill it out, but was unsuccessful. I have a left-handed bit, but it's pretty big (1/8"), and I don't want to screw up the threads. Plus, it's not easy to see, even if I do manage to wiggle my head under there.

The mechanic ordered the part, so I figured I had nothing to lose in making the attempt. Looks like I'll be down until some time next week. This gives me a good excuse to change the brake fluid, I suppose.

Sorry about your luck Clyde .Just to let you know u r jot alone things like that haopen to me all the time.good luck bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So, a quick update. I couldn't leave it alone. My son is at Grandma's house, and I really wanted to go for a ride, so I decided to see if it was indeed that the bolt had stripped or not. I put a wrench on it and very gently tried to back it out. Bolt head snapped off with almost no pressure. I spent a few minutes trying to drill it out, but was unsuccessful. I have a left-handed bit, but it's pretty big (1/8"), and I don't want to screw up the threads. Plus, it's not easy to see, even if I do manage to wiggle my head under there.

The mechanic ordered the part, so I figured I had nothing to lose in making the attempt. Looks like I'll be down until some time next week. This gives me a good excuse to change the brake fluid, I suppose.

Well that sucks...guess now we know it's the bolt that shears before the threads on the pipe strip :(

Back