Changing your own tires... Tool discussion

I have changed my own tires for about 40 years now, except when a lazy streak appears and I take them to a dealer. You probably have most of the tools you need right at home. Getting a pair good tire irons usually makes the job easier. I have been known to actually cut off the old tires if they are especially hard to break the bead. I use wood clamps to break the bead because I have a good pair with 14" jaws so I just put the wood clamp on the bead and screw the camp down till the bead breaks then work my way around the tire. A good set of "C" clamps with jaws wide enough to go over your tire would work as well. After both beads are broken I just use the tire irons to lift the beads over the rim and the tire is off. A lot of soap and water is helpful for makig the tire to bead movement easier. When installing the new tire I just lay the wheel on the garage floor with a blanket or similar layer under the tire to keep the wheel from getting messed up. I lay the tire over the rim, making sure it's set up in the proper direction and with the tire irons I start to work the bead over the rim. At the point, the "c" clamps or in my case the wood clamps can hel to keep the tire grom slipping. Once the first side is done, the second side is easier. Some people put a new valve stem in before starting is they aren't sure the valve stem is good. I also use a 1" ratcheting binder from my trailer to go around the tire to expand the tire when I'm filling with air. Once the bead is seated all the way, I let out all the air and put Dyna-bead in the tire for my balancing. Refill the tire and I'm done. No expensive tools. If I really have a hard time getting the bead to seat and can't get air in I take it to the tire store around the corner and they do it for free. Anyone can do it, it just takes patience, time, and a lot of soapy/warm water.

I know a lot of people have a love/hate relationship with the Dyna beads. What's the good, bad and ugly regarding these? I know they cannot be used on race tires but street tires... yes. Can these really extend the life of the tire 30% - 50% as reported?

Last edited:
Re: Dynabeads...

MCN Magazine tested them in October 2006, and determined that they flat out did not work.

Dynabead's website does not recommend the beads in soft motorcycle tires because the soft inner carcass of the tire doesn't allow the beads to move properly.... who's to decide what tire is too soft and which one works right? Not me... Also, they don't recommend use of dynabeads in high horsepower vehicles, or vehicles that will be operated over 100mph. .... ... so... I'm out on Dynabeads....

In general, it seems like one more thing to mess with during a tire change... collecting them all from the old tire... putting them into the new tire... filter thingies in the valve stems.... not to mention, this would have to be done every 2-3 weeks in the summer as that's about my normal tire replacement schedule...

For me, there's no good reason not to balance using traditional methods.... I've balanced tires brand new, run them to threads, and out of curiosity, tossed them on the balancer again before demounting the old tire... and they're still within 1/2 a gram... not bad considering your stick-on strip weights are 7 grams per block (1/4oz)

I change my tires on the cheap and it saves me TONS of cash. I bought a tire changer through Harbour Freight:
Harbor Freight Tools
You need the portable changer and motorcycle tire attachment, as you can see it's cheap.

The rest involves 3 titanium tire irons (aerostitch), rim protectors (many people sell them, they're white plastic and buy atleast 5 of them), and tire lube (the best stuff is RuGLIDE through Napa Auto Parts), a spray bottle for the tire lube, a balancer (I bought this one: Drag Specialties Wheel Balancing Stand - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore a few years ago, shop around for the best price). You can find a balancer for between 50 and 150. I bought a box of 1/4 ounce stick on weights through JC Whitney years ago for next to nothing and a tire valve wrench. That's it...then just read up on the Internet about motorcycle tire changing...or ask on this board and you're set. You'll break even after your second or third set of tires depending on price.

I've used this as reference for years:
Guide To Changing Motorcycle Tires

That's it...easy and cheap. Oh and all the gimmicks about nitrogen and all that other stuff is a load of crap. Just put good old air from a compressor in them and you're done. It's worked on all of my tires and friends for years and has been 100% reliable.

Last edited:
Here's a nice setup and not all that expensive for the "standard kit" Pricing

$185.00 including shipping gets you the bead breaker, balancer, two 11.5" tire levers, weights, rim protector and a carpeted cover to protect the rim underneath.

usabrkr.jpg

The sister site has some really cool members whom I've come to know a bit better. They just posted up this set of videos on changing a tire. Thanks to John and David! Check out John's modified Harbor Freight stuff and his colorful comments!

This is NSFW!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09E84rDV7M]YouTube - Motorcycle Tire changing 101 - PART I[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDFMVzKdji0]YouTube - Motorcycle Tire changing 101 - PART II[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZPklAAkAMA]YouTube - Motorcycle Tire changing 101 - PART III[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Rj5fk_6eM]YouTube - Motorcycle Tire changing 101 - PART IV[/ame]

How about Cycle Gear and a $20.00 bill? :doh2:

if you can get tires installed for $20 ... you'd be crazy to do it yourself... providing that they do a good job, don't leave any mounting fluid / water inside of the tire, replace the valve stems, don't scratch the wheel, perform a good balance, check swingarm bearings, and check the wheel bearings, brakes, brake pins, rotor condition, lube and adjust the chain, etc.... if they don't do all of the above... well.... you may as well do it yourself....

as far as I'm concerned, that's all part of changing a tire.... things need to be checked, and you need to keep an eye on your maintenance... just so happens that tire change time is the best time to do all of that....

if you can get tires installed for $20 ... you'd be crazy to do it yourself... providing that they do a good job, don't leave any mounting fluid / water inside of the tire, replace the valve stems, don't scratch the wheel, perform a good balance, check swingarm bearings, and check the wheel bearings, brakes, brake pins, rotor condition, lube and adjust the chain, etc.... if they don't do all of the above... well.... you may as well do it yourself....

as far as I'm concerned, that's all part of changing a tire.... things need to be checked, and you need to keep an eye on your maintenance... just so happens that tire change time is the best time to do all of that....

Yea, call me crazy, but I'm thinking that's not going to happen for $20 or even $40. Around here the going rate to mount/balance a tire is at least $50 and might even be slightly more if the wheel is still on the bike. And really are you going to trust some kid to adjust your chain and make sure everything is torqued to spec...not me. When I have to change tires I take the wheels off myself so I can be sure it all goes back together the way it should.

Yea, call me crazy, but I'm thinking that's not going to happen for $20 or even $40. Around here the going rate to mount/balance a tire is at least $50 and might even be slightly more if the wheel is still on the bike. And really are you going to trust some kid to adjust your chain and make sure everything is torqued to spec...not me. When I have to change tires I take the wheels off myself so I can be sure it all goes back together the way it should.

My sentiments exactly! These days it's hard to find service people that treat your vehicles as if it's their own. For me it's having satisfaction of doing the job yourself. I feel that everyone should have an intimate knowledge of both their automobiles and or motorcycles. General maintenance is a great thing to know. It saves you money in the longrun. I'm amazed when guys I know with SUV's go and pay over $360.00 dollars for a brake job on their vehicles when you can buy pads for less than $90.00 bucks.

Last edited:
There's no way you can buy a tire off the internet and go to Cycle Gear and they'll install them. If they're dumb enough to do it they'll stop once management finds out. For anyone out there that doesn't know why you should do your own tires...it's called dollars and sense. You can buy a tire on the Internet for less than half retail..sometimes even less. Labor is obviously free and no installation fee. Even after buying the equipment (hand equipment) you'll break even after your second set of tires compared to retail. I change tires for my buddies too...the ones that haven't set themselves up yet that is.

Part of the job.... breaking the bead. Hmmm... I've mulled over purchasing tools but often wonder what the quality is. Will it damage my wheels? The price range is from nearly free to thousands!

Has anyone used this device? Buy Now: Motorcycle Bead Breaker Tire Iron Bead BrakR | Pashnit Moto

I also found this hand-made rig that, while crude, looks strong enough to do the job. I'm considering mounting the arm to the garage wall and making a floor plate to secure the tire that I can pick up and also hang on the wall. When not in use, it will all be out of the way. Maybe, if I can pick up a welder, make it out of steel later with some hard rubber (hockey) pucks for securing the wheel and to press the tire.

attachment.php

Wow, looks like you could use it as a Trebuchet when you get done doing the tires also:) Fun in the neighborhood with balloons...

hey VA_Rider -- I have access to that tire machine (the red air powered one in ur 1st post) but im afraid of messing up the marchesini's-- any tips or tricks on getting it to clap without marks/chips? Thanks!

once you pop the bead, you move the platforms in close enough to the correct distance so you can set the tire on them... then, push down on the inside of the wheel and step on the pedal to finish bringing the platforms in....

the clips on the platform are metal tangs with delrin buffers attached... the delrin buffers have to be replaced on a somewhat regular basis... so.. inspect those and make sure they're in good shape.. same on the arm that comes down from the top... it has a delrin slider on the inside of the arm... make sure it's in good shape....

Back