Changing the gauge colors

Looks good! After messing around with mine last night and not being able to get the LCD and needle off, I think im going to send mine out to get done. Im not really in the mood to break anything... and I feel like if I continue, I will.

The LCD stays on. The needle is nerve racking but the two spoon method does work and it actually just pops off but I almost thought I might break it the first time too.
I'm still trying to find someone who has the black fz1 gauge face plate who is willing to sell or trade for the white fz8 one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the alcohol didn't bother the needle/plastic at all? It didn't cloud it up or melt it?
I SOOOOOO wish i saw this a day earlier; I apparently used the wrong chemical on mine...

acetone.
i'm cutting to the chase now though, and putting a new needle from a fz6 in, which is white from factory. i'm done f'ing around. man, it pissed me off.

Oh yeah that will eat through the plastic. Nasty stuff.
Haha I bet. At least you know it's white and don't have to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks amazing, Looks better then the stock orange / red in my opinion. May I ask the cost for that combo, and what did you get them to change all in?

I had them change the LCD LEDs from orange to white (6 LEDs), I had them leave the tach white, but I had them change the Needle backlight from red to blue (2 LEDs). Then When I got it back, I popped the needle off, took alcohol on a Q-tip and rubbed of the stock orange paint. I then took some white paint and painted the back side of the needle. Bluegauges charges $65 for the service, shipping is included in the US

I had them change the LCD LEDs from orange to white (6 LEDs), I had them leave the tach white, but I had them change the Needle backlight from red to blue (2 LEDs). Then When I got it back, I popped the needle off, took alcohol on a Q-tip and rubbed of the stock orange paint. I then took some white paint and painted the back side of the needle. Bluegauges charges $65 for the service, shipping is included in the US

I love the way it looks, not in your face but looks loads better then stock, That is must have MOD for that price!
Thanks for the quick reply

I love the way it looks, not in your face but looks loads better then stock, That is must have MOD for that price!
Thanks for the quick reply

I have touches of blue on my bike (granite gray) and I though of doing the LCD backlight blue, but I think it would be too much, that looks better on lighter color bikes. By the way... taking the needle off is very stressful, but if you pull up evenly with steady pressure (i used a fork) it will pop off safely

Can you take a picture during the daytime so we can see what the white needle looks like not at night?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Sure, ill try it after work... Its tucked into the garage so daylight may be hard but Ill turn on a lot of ambient light to try and wash it out like the sun would. Just as a little spoiler... There is far more contrast than stock so it is easier to see

Picture of the gauge during the 'day'. It's in a garage so I applied a backlight to give the appearance of sunlight
image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Makes me want to do this very bad now!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yea.. I have been debating it for about 3 years now... dating back to when I had my ZX6R. I plan to keep the FZ for a long time, its only got 12k on the clock so I figured it would be good to put some money into it

Is it a pain pulling off the cluster? Looks like from the pictures you have the front fairing can stay on.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Yeah, its not bad... pull the windscreen, inner fairings, and you can loosen the fairing just enough to get a hand behind it. Then I take a long phillips head screw driver and go through the holes in the fairing vent to reach the center screw on the gauge.

Back