Chain lube

WD40 = bad - cleans but removes all other lube wherever it can get to, and splatters on other plastics and painted things which is bad.

Oil - good - lubes but makes a mess - doesn't clean - gets dirty

Teflon spray lube = great - cleans and leaves the lube behind after you wipe the chain down after - and dries so doesn't collect road grime.

Somewhere in my tattered library of (often) useless info I have an article about chain lubrication. It was either in Motorcyclist or Motorcycle Consumer News. Memory says that the Wurth and the DuPont were the preferred lubes, with Honda chainlube rated pretty highly. I'll try to find it.

I'm using Motul spray on chain lube and I get next to no lube sprayed on my back wheel. It sprays on like liquid and sticks really well as it thickens up after a minute or two. It stays clear too.

How much more often do you need to clean and lube the chain when you drive gravel? I live on gravel, closest blacktop is 1.5miles away, so I don't have a choice. And I assume that the dust is really bad for the chain.

I'm using Motul spray on chain lube and I get next to no lube sprayed on my back wheel. It sprays on like liquid and sticks really well as it thickens up after a minute or two. It stays clear too.

+1. I really like the Motul chain lube, just works......
Isn't available locally. and isn't all that cheap online... but sticks and dries out fast, while not acting like a magnet for road grime.

Last edited:
I always thought WD-40 was notorious for breaking down rubber parts, like o-rings.

WD40 = bad - cleans but removes all other lube wherever it can get to, and splatters on other plastics and painted things which is bad.

Oil - good - lubes but makes a mess - doesn't clean - gets dirty

Teflon spray lube = great - cleans and leaves the lube behind after you wipe the chain down after - and dries so doesn't collect road grime.

I know a guy who has owned, since new, a 1985 V65 Honda that he sprays down with WD-40 for winter storage. Leaves it coated til spring then washes it of with scalding hot water. Bike looks show quality and runs like new. He rebuilds aircraft engines for living. WD cant hurt much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a de-greaser to clean the chain & sprocket, wash it off, let it dry. Beautiful clean chain & sprocket. I prefer Silkolene chain wax but it only comes in titanium colour which isn't great as i have a gold chain. However, i have been using Silkolene chain oil and it seems to be ok. I only apply to the chain when hot and let the bike sit for 24hrs after applying. I clean the chain every 200-250km, i run a 520 set-up and have only had to adjusted the chain once in 3000km.

Ok I need the advice of the Vets here...I have read quite a few post here and was wondering...What do you guys think about using High Silicone spray as a chain lube? I gave my baby a bath today and cleaned the chain using WD-40. I wiped it all down nice nice and then applied the silicone spray for lube. Just wondering if you guys recommend using that or should I go get something else. The can of spray only cost me 3 bux so it's not a total loss. I figured if all else failed I would just have to apply it more often.

Just use chain lube mate, any type as long as its chain lube.

They who worry about clean chains, end up with fucked ones.

Its clean and looks nice but its still rooted.

Ok I need the advice of the Vets here...I have read quite a few post here and was wondering...What do you guys think about using High Silicone spray as a chain lube? I gave my baby a bath today and cleaned the chain using WD-40. I wiped it all down nice nice and then applied the silicone spray for lube. Just wondering if you guys recommend using that or should I go get something else. The can of spray only cost me 3 bux so it's not a total loss. I figured if all else failed I would just have to apply it more often.

That should work okay. I use the stuff mentioned in post #17 that I get at home depot or lowes.

Good thread with lots of info. I've only owned shafties in the past, when I get the fz it will be my first chain driven bike and i want it to last and to be safe. Plus I am a neat freak, I don't wanna clean any nasty stuff off my wheel or anywhere else.

I'm using DuPont Teflon chain saver available at Wal-Mart. I'm at 24k and change on the stock chain and it's hanging in there. I have a spare ready to go along with new sprockets. They also sell the DuPont degreaser which works very well on the chain saver.

Got to agree with Old Mate. Pre o ring chains I would clean and lube no problems but since O rings (now I am showing my age) I think I have stuffed many up by cleaning the lube out. Once its out you can't get it back in. Only my opinion and I still hate dirty chains!

I've used kero all my life to wash my chains and after washing is a hose off with water. My chain lube is BEL RAY Super Clean Chain Lube which is white in colour, will not attract dirt, absolutely no fling-off, ultimate chain protection. I like all BEL RAY products.:yes:

Clean with Kerosene & right now using what my Yamaha mechanic recommended: Black Label

It's messy & you have to not put too much on, but it works. I'm not sure if I will change in the future.

Back