Cant start bike, Please help!

The previous owner laid her down. I purchased the bike none running for 1k. As a winter project. The LAS was activated when it was laid down. I took the sensor apart and removed the magnet that triggers it just to see if it works and clear all codes. But I think the sensor is still good. :confused:

The previous owner laid her down. I purchased the bike none running for 1k. As a winter project. The LAS was activated when it was laid down. I took the sensor apart and removed the magnet that triggers it just to see if it works and clear all codes. But I think the sensor is still good. :confused:

Try it both in open and closed loop and see if is starts either way? I believe it would be open that starts and closed would be if the lean sensor was tripped.

Are you pulling the clutch when trying to start? Sometimes the switch at the clutch can be faulted. If it is, you would need to pull the clutch lever to start it even when in neutral.

Im glad you asked about the clutch. Because it doesnt seem to be working. :shame: Im actually pushing the clutch lever on the right side of the bike on the engine and its not doing anything. Im not sure if the plates are stuck or something from sitting so long but not working at all. Also where is the clutch switch located? :confused: Im doing a quick video right now.

Im glad you asked about the clutch. Because it doesnt seem to be working. :shame: Im actually pushing the clutch lever on the right side of the bike on the engine and its not doing anything. Im not sure if the plates are stuck or something from sitting so long but not working at all. Also where is the clutch switch located? :confused: Im doing a quick video right now.

The switch is located at the hinge point of the clutch lever. There are two plugs that you would see under there with angled connectors that slide over spade connections. So, put your head under the handlebar and look straight up to the clutch lever. You will see it there.

If the clutch isn't working, it could be a broken clutch cable. Check the engine side and see if you can actuate the lever.

BTW, I'll be in Florida (Port Saint Lucie) Saturday evening and staying for two weeks. Maybe I can talk Norm into a trip over and help you troubleshoot this and then he and I can hit up Universal Studios. ;)

Last edited:
Well the clutch lever at the engine seemed ok when you moved it. Battery sounds pretty weak, but engine turns over (not sure it's spinning fast enough to start). At this point you're either missing fuel or spark (or both). You should pull a spark plug boot and check to see if you're getting spark. If you are then it's a fuel issue...

And furthermore the fact that the engine cranks leads me to believe that it's not the clutch or side stand switches. If either one is defective the bike wont crank...

Yea, as you will see in the video, i got an aftermarket clutch lever on there the switch and everything was destroyed leaving the wires exposed. I guess im gonna need to buy all new stuff on that side. :doh2: Any tricks on how you guys get to the plugs lol it looks to me like there would be no space to get a wrench in there, seems like u gotta remove the fans or something major like that just to get to the plugs lol. If you guys do stop by here that would be so freeken awesome!!! Just let me know my number is 407-376-0287. Thanks a lot guys! You guys are life savers! :yes:

Last edited:
Well, if that switch isn't connected, then you have to have the kickstand in the UP position to start the bike (on the center stand is fine). When you pull the clutch, does the arm on the engine move? If not, pull the clutch lever off and see if you can pull the cable to actuate the clutch or does the cable just come right out of the sheath (broken)? Try shorting the switch wiring with another piece of wire just to test starting. Make sure the side-stand is up when you do this too. I can see it is in neutral.

I know that if the air temp sensor isn't there/not working, the bike will run just roughly. Is that AIS tube blocked? If not, you may want to plug it so it doesn't suck something into it.

The clutch lever on the engine does move when i pull the clutch. But if it had to do anything with the switches would it still try to crank like that? I remember when my kick stand was down on my R6 and try to start, it would not try to crank at all like this. Im gonna try and pull the plugs but just seems almost impossible to get anything in there. What do you guys do to get to your plugs? :confused::confused:

Well, if that switch isn't connected, then you have to have the kickstand in the UP position to start the bike (on the center stand is fine). When you pull the clutch, does the arm on the engine move? If not, pull the clutch lever off and see if you can pull the cable to actuate the clutch or does the cable just come right out of the sheath (broken)? Try shorting the switch wiring with another piece of wire just to test starting. Make sure the side-stand is up when you do this too. I can see it is in neutral.

Eric I doubt it's either the side stand or clutch switches as those normally interrupt the starter circuit and nothing else. Try to start your bike in gear (w/o pulling in the clutch) or with the side stand down and you get nothing. The fact that his engine is cranking over would lead me to believe that those switches are not interfering with it (unless as a secondary measure they also cut fuel and/or spark).

His charge is really weak. A new battery is definitely in order. For what its worth my KTM goes through batteries like crazy when it gets low it will turn the motor over but it wont start the bike. I have to resort to the kicker at that point.

Eric I doubt it's either the side stand or clutch switches as those normally interrupt the starter circuit and nothing else. Try to start your bike in gear (w/o pulling in the clutch) or with the side stand down and you get nothing. The fact that his engine is cranking over would lead me to believe that those switches are not interfering with it (unless as a secondary measure they also cut fuel and/or spark).

With the switch at the clutch missing and not connected, I'm unsure what the result would be. I can always go home and unplug and try mine to see if I get the same results.

So this comes back to the LAS being the problem. I know for a fact that if the sensor is tripped and not reset by shutting off the key and turning it back on that the bike will not start. So, since he is turning the key on and off, the sensor might be faulty and registering the bike as leaned too far and it will not start. BTW, the lean angle sensor in tripped mode shuts off the fuel pump. So, when you have the kill switch in the RUN position and turn the key, can you hear the fuel pump inside the tank priming the system? There was a lot of background noise in the video so I couldn't quite tell.

Last edited:
Yea, I can deff hear the fuel pump priming. But im not 100% sure there is fuel being sprayed in the cylinders ? Any way to check that ?

If there was fuel going in prior to starting, based on the number of tries, your exhaust pipe would likely smell like raw fuel by now. But, you could pull a plug and check to see if it is wet after an attempt to start.

ok cool ill check that and see but i dont smell any raw fuel at all... Also Even though i can move the clutch lever at the engine it doesnt appear to be working because when i put it in first gear and push that lever the bike wont move... Im guessing the plates are stuck after sitting so long ? Hope fully after it warms up and fresh oil is put in the clutch will work again ? :eyebrow:

Found Problem.

First off, I want to thank Eric for coming out and helping me find the problem. Amazing guy, if it wasn't for him I would still be :cuss: trying to find the problem. Fuel pump is at fault, its not pressurizing the system at all even though its priming. :disapproval: Also the pendulum in the LSA has to be in there at all time even though the ECU error was gone. Now I have to just get this fuel pump issue fixed, would want to rebuild it or just find a used one. Dont want to pay $350+ for a new one :jaw drop: If anyone knows anything about where I can get this fuel pump issue fixed for the cheap, Please let me know! Thanks guys for all the help. I highly appreciate it! :)

Back