Can PCV get the same results as FCE?

I guess you are basing your costs on a NEW off the showroom floor FZ1 which I personally can't see much logic in purchasing. The design has been around 5-6 years, with plenty of new competition out there, it has a crappy rear shock and its engine performance is pretty well stuffed up in stock form. However the GenII can be an incredible bargain as a used bike and as a starting point for upgrades. My own machine is an 06 with 12k miles which I purchased last summer for $3400usd. I've got $4k (in materials, the labor has been my own and most enjoyable) in upgrades to the front and rear suspension, brakes, intake, exhaust, engine management, aesthetics, comfort and utility. How do you think it would compare to that Tuono in terms of performance and cost??

Firstly, a Tuono has full Ohlins front, rear & steering dampner. Maschesini wheels & braided lines, factory aftermarket system and dripping in carbon. My mate has just brought one for $10.5k second-hand. Because of the recession & the Governments greed in raising rego'd, bike's are almost becoming worthless (a luxury item) our Government would rather see us driving 6ltr SUV's instead of bikes? Carbon footprint?. Anyway, there are quite a few new factory Tuono's for sale $14-16k with little to no km's. A 2010 FZ1 form the Yamaha showroom want's $18k = Mmmm wonder why know one want them. If you work-out all the goodies on the Tuono you would fall over, bang for $ these bikes are the bollocks.

The FCE's primary role is to eliminate the snatch in the throttle when the fuel is cut because of a closed throttle from the 4000 or so RPM range when the throttle is reopened. The PCIII or V is used to modify the fuel map from the factory baseline numbers, both - and +. When combined you can end up with a smoother and stronger running motorcycle. Is it absolutey necessary? For me, no. I can live with the deficiencies my 2008 has because from my perspective the positive aspects far outdo the minor problems.

Firstly, a Tuono has full Ohlins front, rear & steering dampner. Maschesini wheels & braided lines, factory aftermarket system and dripping in carbon. My mate has just brought one for $10.5k second-hand. Because of the recession & the Governments greed in raising rego'd, bike's are almost becoming worthless (a luxury item) our Government would rather see us driving 6ltr SUV's instead of bikes? Carbon footprint?. Anyway, there are quite a few new factory Tuono's for sale $14-16k with little to no km's. A 2010 FZ1 form the Yamaha showroom want's $18k = Mmmm wonder why know one want them. If you work-out all the goodies on the Tuono you would fall over, bang for $ these bikes are the bollocks.

Oh, I have ridden my neighbor's factory Tuono (maybe 2 years old) upgraded with tuning and aftermarket exhaust. In fact, he and I have traded bikes out on road for a back to back comparison. The Ohlins suspension combined with the bikes geometry most certainly yields a handling package that tops the FZs (penske rear, 08 R1 front), but it does tend to punish on our poor roads. It is also a considerably lighter bike than the Yamaha. The low end torque on the tuned Tuono is a bit better than my "stage 4" FZ1, but the FZ owns the Tuono (about 125rwhp) everywhere else and is quieter and smoother. The FZ is also more comfortable (sargent seat) He spent big bucks for the factory T new but you could probably get a used one for around $10k here in the states. Current new FZ1 prices seem to start at around $8k
All the bits and pieces on the Tuono are well made and truly lovely to look at but I gotta say the white, red, gold and purple colors don't appeal to me personally (he calls it the clown bike). The newest ones don't look much better IMHO. Now the Brutale is another matter . . . .

Last edited:
Well you have spent considerably more than $200 on bling stuff (me too by the way) so I don't really get the "salty" comment?? No error codes for me and I do believe the same is true for the vast majority with the FCE. Some of it may come down to the install quality particularly the crimping work. I don't typically ride in sub 40F temps so I haven't tested for any issues there . . . . Bottom line is that you should do what you like but the FCE truly eliminates throttle snatch issues on the GenII as well making noticeable improvements in mid range power delivery. It's not a substitute for a PCIII or V but neither are they for it .

Last edited:
Well you have spent considerably more than $200 on bling stuff (me too by the way) so I don't really get the "salty" comment?? No error codes for me and I do believe the same is true for the vast majority with the FCE. Some of it may come down to the install quality particularly the crimping work. I don't typically ride in sub 40F temps so I haven't tested for any issues there . . . . Bottom line is that you should do what you like but the FCE truly eliminates throttle snatch issues on the GenII as well making noticeable improvements in mid range power delivery. It not a substitute for a PCIII or V but neither are they for it .

Let me just start out by saying that I have the FCE on my '06 and I think it's worth every penny. The codes will come up regardless of the install quality. Try this on your bike, side stand down, clutch in and try to start it. I bet you'll see the code pop up. Turn ignition off, put side stand up and start it again and the code will be gone. Moral of the story, don't attempt to start the bike with the side stand down or you WILL trigger a code. I have yet to see the cold weather code, but if it's below 40 I'm not riding...lol. All that said I think the FCE works great and is worth the money...:2cents:

No error code on my 06 with FCE when started in manner described above. There have been other error codes mentioned that can be traced back to a faulty FCE or connections. Don't know about the side stand one that you mention . . . .

I cant really notice any snatch on my bike or not enuff to be worried about.For me price vs function vs looks is always a factor and if all 3 are good then I purchase.I just dont feel the FCE would benefit my bike

I cant really notice any snatch on my bike or not enuff to be worried about.For me price vs function vs looks is always a factor and if all 3 are good then I purchase.I just dont feel the FCE would benefit my bike

Well if you ever want to find out what your missing, I'm just outside of DC.:cheers:

BTW, my 06 has: FCE, PCIII, IM, E map, Small Flies, Airbox Mod, BMC Filter, Full Yosh R77, 08 R1 front forks/brakes . . . .

Ok 2 hours from here if ya ever wanna try some roads come on up and i will try it out!!! My next big purchase I'm wanting suspension upgrades fast enuff for now. if i go any faster you cant see how pimp my ride is yo!!!!

Back