Can PCV get the same results as FCE?

A post in the Australia section inspired me to ask this... I tried searching to no avail, so can someone offer some guidance? I'd rather spend the money on a PCV than the FCE if I can get the FCE results by adding fuel points to the "off" throttle position using the PCV. Will this work and is it feasible?

Link to original post: http://www.998cc.org/forum/australia/9552-ivans-fce-3.html#post64268

I also own an 06 with the famous "snatchy throttle". I think you will have to go with a PC3 instead of a PCV as the OEM ECU is different on the 07+. Try the PC first because this will smooth things out, also tighten your throttle cable, when i got my bike it was loose and this emphasised the snatch more. If you have no luck then look into a FCE.

And/or find a Euro '10+ ECU. I picked up one from Finland for $250 USD, night and day from my '06 ECU. Then add a PC3/5 on top of that with a custom tune and you have one sweet bike.

Can you put a PCV on a 2006 ECU or only the PCIII? Doesn't seem worth it to me to pay for both the 2010 ECU AND a PC which is just going to tune the ECU how you want it anyway...

Can you put a PCV on a 2006 ECU or only the PCIII? Doesn't seem worth it to me to pay for both the 2010 ECU AND a PC which is just going to tune the ECU how you want it anyway...

You can do either one, 3 or 5, doesn't matter. The 5 gives you an additional throttle position over the 3, 15% if I recall correctly.

If I were doing this all over again I'd follow the same path and get a newer ECU, the '06 is that bad. Remember with a PC you'll need a custom tune regardless. That is about $250 to $350.

The newer ECU also gives you a different/better timing map, the PC only tunes duty cycle of the FI system. In other words the newer ECU gives you a better baseline to start from.

As Pete said in the post above, either PC III or PC V will work on the '06. I have both on my '06, FCE and PC V and the fueling is spot on with no throttle snatch whatsoever. See my sig for the rest of my mods...

Ok, but can you eliminate the throttle "snatch" using the PCIII alone? Seems liek you should be able to by adding fuel to zero throttle position...

Ok, but can you eliminate the throttle "snatch" using the PCIII alone? Seems like you should be able to by adding fuel to zero throttle position...

If you keep the original 06 ECU, the only known solution is the FCE. If you elect to swap out the ECU then the best choice appears to be a 2010 or later ECU. I have no doubt that if I had a 2006 then I would go the new ECU direction.

AW

The 06 ECU isn't that bad, ok there is the famous "snatch" but that is easily cured with a FCE which gives a very nice gain in mid-range or a PC3 or V or both. I have done +20k and dozen trackdays with 06 ECU and everyone who rides my bike gets off with a big smile an no mention of "snatch". Why $ another ECU when a FCE is cheaper and you can sell it when you upgrade.

I think we all agree a PC3 or V is the way to go if you choose to mod you bike. Why don't you buy a PC & download a map that users have kindly offered on this forum. If you still have a problem then take it further FCE or 10 ECU, whatever you choose.

First off I don't know if there is a difference between US bikes and others but . . .On a stock genII FZ1 anytime you close the throttle above a certain rpm (somewhere around 4k or so) the flow of fuel out of the injectors stops. This is a required feature for bikes at least in the US market. When you reopen the throttle there is a delay and abrubtness to when the power returns. Yamaha's changes in the ecu over the years may smooth out some of the abrubtness but it does not do away with the delay. Ivan's FCE tricks the bike into keeping the flow of fuel going while the throttle is closed and thus elminates the delay and abrupt return to power. A Power Commander adds or subtracts fuel only in situations where fuel is actually being applied so it will not have the same effect. . . .I honestly don't see the point in spending the $ for the latest ecu and then having a custom map done. The fundamental issue with the fuel being cut off at closed throttle is still there. There is a wealth of maps available out there for most mod applications and if you go all out with "full Ivanization" (FCE, PCIII, IM, throttle plates, AIS block off, airbox mod, filter upgrade, and full Yosh) you can be guaranteed a transformed machine with a fully vetted map (Ivan's E map) that is lightyears ahead of the stock setup. Imagine what 20-25hp (at 7k stock 75rwhp vs 100rwhp full ivans) more from 7k on up will feel like!

Last edited:
^^^ Because the newer ECU not only gets you a better fuel map, but a much more mature ignition map. The way I looked at it, begin with a better baseline, then tune it.

When I traded out the '06 ECU for the '10 ECU it felt as if It didn't require any tuning at all, it was that good, but I tune all of my bikes and once the tune was complete I was even more impressed.

If at all possible I prefer to solve a problem with an OEM part before I use an aftermarket part, as OEM parts are usually of a much higher quality, and I don't want a bunch of stuff hanging off my bike; eg IM, FCE, etc. If I had my way I'd have a fully programmable ECU for the bike and ditch the PC.

To each their own and all is good, variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
+2 well said Hellgate... I totally agree. I get pi**ed of with having to heavily mod the bike to make it go the way it should have rolled out of the factory, add up all your mods $ and a fully sorted factory Tuono isn't to far off. My next bike will be European, service it and ride !!!.

Last edited by a moderator:
+2 well said Hellgate... I totally agree. I get pi**ed of with having to heavily mod the bike to make it go the way it should have rolled out of the factory, add up all your mods $ and a fully sorted factory Tuono isn't to far off. My next bike will be European, service it and ride !!!.
I guess you are basing your costs on a NEW off the showroom floor FZ1 which I personally can't see much logic in purchasing. The design has been around 5-6 years, with plenty of new competition out there, it has a crappy rear shock and its engine performance is pretty well stuffed up in stock form. However the GenII can be an incredible bargain as a used bike and as a starting point for upgrades. My own machine is an 06 with 12k miles which I purchased last summer for $3400usd. I've got $4k (in materials, the labor has been my own and most enjoyable) in upgrades to the front and rear suspension, brakes, intake, exhaust, engine management, aesthetics, comfort and utility. How do you think it would compare to that Tuono in terms of performance and cost??

Back