Camping "TENT" on a three day trip?

Sactown2008

Anyone know of a decent tent I could pack on my 08 FZ1 for a three day camp? I have brand new saddle bags and an okay tank bag, but no handle on a tent and small sleeping pad I could pack on a bike.

I have only camped with cars and trucks. I am also 6'2".

Thanks

any small two person (changed word to be politically correct)pop-up tent or even a 10X10 foot cheap tarp and 1/4 in rope strung up between two trees. posts. most anything to hold the tarp above the ground. (can even use the bike for this).

not to worry about the "sticks" as they can be repaired if broken. or even made shorter if need be. i know rei has all such parts, should be able to find in other better camping supply places.

been slowly working on setting up a trip deal fo my FZ1. two soft saddle bags one hard trunk soft add-on there. back pack?.

all of camp must fit in saddle bags. so far it does.

look into what some of the adventure bikes have on them for multi days rides.

Here's some pics of the setup I have been using on multiple bikes since 2012.

The tent is a Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent (Light Grey/Blue/Gold). They have it on Amazon for $64 and free shipping. I treated the seams with an aerosol type seam sealer in the second season of using the tent - and haven't had any problems with leaks, even in HEAVY rain. I'm 6 feet tall/195lbs, and feel that the tent is adequate for one person of my size, with room inside to sleep and store your saddle bags. You could probably fit two people inside, but they would have to be small, and there wouldn't be much room for gear I think. Three persons? - Yeah, maybe kids.

Here is the link to it ...
Amazon.com : Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent (Light Grey/Blue/Gold) : Family Tents : Sports & Outdoors

And here are some pictures of the setup on the bike and on the ground.

Last edited:
Try this from R.E.I. Kelty Discovery 2 Tent - REI.com

It is very similar to what I have from Mountain Hardware, seen here.

KasloBCMunicipleCampground2010.jpg

14 day trip all camping. and packs small. Waterproof stuff sacks do the trick for tent, and sleeping bag.Use separate bags for each in case you have to pack up after a rain (damp sleeping bags suck).

Hwy99BCDuffyLake.jpg

Just for reference I'm 5'11". Room to spare at each end. My back isn't what it used to be so I bought a Luxury Lite cot for this season

Years later I'm still using my tent.

IMG_0713.jpg

I have a Cabelas XPG tent that packs to about 8"X 16". Any of the new inflatable sleeping pads will work well. Thermorest, Exped or Kelty. They pack much smaller than the self inflating foam core models. A down bag will pack the smallest but you pay for it. You can find some synthetic fill bags that pack up small as well.

Back