Byciclers versus FZ1 on roundabout=1-0

Yesterday morning, Sunny sunday, relaxed riding on my way to a rallypoint for a ride with friends. Heading towards a large roundabout which I take regular. Feeling great and confident. Changing gear when arriving at roundabout, no traffic upcoming and I'm ready to take a left round turn on the roundabout. Pegs are scraping....going good....SH*****T..a group of byclicers are on the road.....how to avoid them....*/-+F°u**!! Taking my curve shorter,looking to the exit away from byciclers...feeling my peg cutting the ground and the bike turns rear wheel, pivoting around the peg...of it goes, sliding away from me missing (thank God!!) the last biker with a meter. Slams into the concreet wall with the rear...Byciclers change gear and cycle away...M*therf**kers...Another solo byclicer stops to my aid and pulls the bike upright and assist me in assessing my physical damage; right shoulder injured and left finger...
The group of 4 bicyclers were riding on the roundabout instead of the cyclepath on the other side of the concreet wall...something I did not ecpect them there to be.
Conclusion on this tale...(the roundabout was not overseeable due to a construction at the middle) Always suspect byclicers can be riding on the road at sunny sundays (especially when de Tour De France is passing trough the area , they all believe they are Eddy Merckx and the roads are made especially for them)

Partly my mistake in taking the roundabout too quick and too sharp? Maybe!
I'm already glad the bike did not slide into one of the bikers (not that they would have earned it) otherwise I could have been in more serious trouble....
Well you guess my planned ride for the day was gone.
My right shoulder is now seriously swollen, so is my left finger. Hope no cracks.

My goodness! First Eric now you. I hope this doesn't become a trend. I hope that your okay and you should have that shoulder x-rayed as well as your finger. Swolleness can be a sign of a fracture, not to scare you or anything.

I am glad to see that aside from your tail section, the sliders looked to have done their job. I hope you feel better. Sorry to hear it happened to another member. Make sure you get checked out by a doctor Arnold.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully the damage to you is not serious. As you know the bike can be easily fixed, but people sometimes can't.

After your recent experience (and Eric's) I hope more people are paying attention and wearing their gear all the time. You never know when you're going to get into an accident...Yesterday it was very hot around here (at least 95° F) and I was disgusted by the number of people that I saw wearing shorts and a t-shirt while riding their motorcycles. With only that gear an accident even at relatively slow speed is going to turn out bad...

Jeeez! This sucks! I am very sorry to hear that you've had an off AND got hurt! Wished you'd been as lucky as I was! The bike, while not looking it's best, can be put back together. You cannot so easily. Take the time to heal up... assess the damage and start collecting parts.

Thank God you are here typing to us about it! Keep us posted!

tx all for support.
And yes my motorcycle clothing did help to limit the damage to my body, plus the protectors on the bike limited damage to the bike...I always have the mindset never to ride my bike without proper gear, and yes I've seen many bikers around here wearing nothing other than a t-shirt and shorts...I dare not to think how I would look like if I wasn't wearing my gear.

Xrays have been taken, should know more in a couple of hours. Later this week I'll drop my bike (better said, I'll bring the bike) to my dealershop for a cost estimate and to check what must be replaced and what can wait

Kudos for wearing all the gear! :tup: You and I this week are proof that ATGATT is the way to go.

I pray those x-rays show nothing cracked and this is all tissue damage only. Good luck!

Sorry to hear about this man. I personally wouldnt know what to do as my chicken strips will tell ya I cant lean it over to the scraping point, so most likely I would have gone bowling with some pedal bikers who shouldnt have been there in the first place.

I hope your physically ok from all this!

update on medical front: no fractures shown in X-rays. Good news! Right shoulder has the upper "delteus" inflamed and need to rest my right arm for a week. The finger only has a subcutane hemmorage and is a bit swollen....nothing serious and longlasting....now I can start looking for spare parts to fix her up again...

update on medical front: no fractures shown in X-rays. Good news! Right shoulder has the upper "delteus" inflamed and need to rest my right arm for a week. The finger only has a subcutane hemmorage and is a bit swollen....nothing serious and longlasting....now I can start looking for spare parts to fix her up again...

Awesome news! Thanks for the update!

Don't forget the ebay forum here on the board too. You might find some items from people parting out and get it rebuilt fairly cheap. eBay Marketplace

Rest and heal FAST!!

That is really a shame, but I'm glad that you came out without anything too serious as far as injuries. The Tail section took a good hit but from your pictures the rest of you bike's armor did it's job, good thing you made that investment. Here's hoping you and your steed are back up and running quickly.

Hoping your xrays turn out well. Your shoulder has large bursae sacks in them that contain fluid and abrupt/trauma injuries can make them swell in defense. I hope that is all that you have encountered.

Have your dealership cost it out for you, but I would bet you could do the work for 1/3 of what they come up with, if you have the space and time to do it.

Your shoulder has large bursae sacks in them that contain fluid and abrupt/trauma injuries can make them swell in defense. I hope that is all that you have encountered.
yes that is what I'm suffering with now, but not too serious as I can still lift my arm higher then my shoulder.

Have your dealership cost it out for you, but I would bet you could do the work for 1/3 of what they come up with, if you have the space and time to do it.
Absolutely, I'll be doing the repair work myself once I got all the pieces together. I'm also scouting the net to see for some good looking second hand pieces.

Tx all for the support. It does really keep up my spirit!

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought is that push bike riders especially in groups should not be allowed to ride on the street.
These people cause to many accidents and if you run one over you are the worst person in the world.
They don't pay registration to ride on the road so why are they allowed to put the paying public at risk.
Just 3 minutes from my place a push biker went under a truck only 2 weeks ago. No one in there right mind would ride a push bike on that section of road but people are putting there lives in danger every day riding that section of road on a pushy. :stunta]:
By the way I love riding push bikes but there is a time and place for everything and Im glad you are ok.

You know... this stuff usually comes in threes. I think I may cancel my Saturday morning ride out to Lake Livingston unless one of you other chaps would be so kind as to have a little get off before then. Thanks in advance!

Glad you are ok Den!

My thought is that push bike riders especially in groups should not be allowed to ride on the street.

I never understood why bikes were allowed on major roads but not allowed on sidewalks here. It makes absolutely no sense. A pedestrian vs. a bicycle will fair far better than a bicycle vs. a motorcycle or car. Side walks are already under utilized. Get the bikes off the streets!

You know... this stuff usually comes in threes. I think I may cancel my Saturday morning ride out to Lake Livingston unless one of you other chaps would be so kind as to have a little get off before then. Thanks in advance!

Glad you are ok Den!

Sorry! Count me out of that one. It's too friggin hot to ride here period! I still haven't gotten my mesh jacket yet.

Back